• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anyone got experience with EW's Play Engine?

Share/Bookmark

Anyone got experience with EW's Play Engine?

Hi Guys,
    I'm considering getting Stormdrum 2; however I've heard various reports of people not being that impressed with the Play Engine.
    I would like to find out a bit more about it before I part with my cash
    Would be great if anyone who has SD2 or another Play product could chip in!

-is the vst instrument multi timbral, or do I have to load a seperate instance for each patch?
    -how editable are the patches?
    -can you set a voice limit on a patch (i.e how many voices it plays back per patch?)
    -how is the diskstreaming and how bug free is it? (I intend to use it in Nuendo on the PC)
    -how is stormdrum 2 itself?

It seems a shame that EW went the custom player route, as being able to load libraries into Kontakt2 is a big plus in my book; so I hope Play is worth it!

Cheers,

Joris
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

Re: Anyone got experience with EW's Play Engine?

Quote Originally Posted by Joris de Man View Post
    Hi Guys,
    I'm considering getting Stormdrum 2; however I've heard various reports of people not being that impressed with the Play Engine.
    I would like to find out a bit more about it before I part with my cash
    Would be great if anyone who has SD2 or another Play product could chip in!

-is the vst instrument multi timbral, or do I have to load a seperate instance for each patch?
    -can you set a voice limit on a patch (i.e how many voices it plays back per patch?)
    -how is the diskstreaming and how bug free is it? (I intend to use it in Nuendo on the PC)

It seems a shame that EW went the custom player route, as being able to load libraries into Kontakt2 is a big plus in my book; so I hope Play is worth it!

Cheers,

Joris

Hey the best thing you can do is check out the East West Forum.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~-Forums - Your favorite place for premium support of EastWest distributed products
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Stormdrum is awesome. You can check out East West and answer a lot of your questions, but I can tell you, I loved Stormdrum 1 and SD2 is much more powerful and cooler
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

I've been using and testing out STORMDRUM 2 for the last 2 days for my studio. A bit of my background, I'm very versatile with Stormdrum 1 (as well as virtually all EWQL products) and an expert with Kontakt too.

My current recommendation is that the PLAY engine 'sucks' compared to Kontakt.

>> Yes, but CPU ineffecient compared to Kontakt. PLAY's new method of playing sequenced tracks (like Stormdrum Intakt did) is to have you create a multi-16 channel instrument in your sequencer, and then drag'n drop the preset MIDI file which expands onto all 16 tracks. Okay, so far I can live with this. However, (and mind you we've got a pretty fast machine) once playback starts we're lucky if we can get half a bar in before the system stalls. I've completely maxed out buffer sizes with all of East West's tips, and still no luck unless I mute all of the tracks save 2 or 3.

>> Okay, not so great compared to the dozens of effects and modulations you can accomplish with Kontakt, or how easily you can tune the instrument in Kontakt (which can be done in PLAY, but good luck finding it). And another major bummer, I haven't found a way to automate the separate patches in an instance. It looks like the 1st track controls automation on all the patches.

>> Yes

>> As alluded to above, horrible!! I truly have to believe that they'll have to get this under control (I've already contacted ~~~~~~~~~~~~ concerning this issue).

>> The samples really are good, no complaints in the quality there. BUT....one thing I loved dearly about SD1 was the number of velocity layers per key (sometimes more than 7). As a film composer this kind of authenticity and detail is truly needed for our art to flourish. However I can easily hear only 4 layers in most patches, making the 'machine-gun' effect much more susceptible. This was a real disappointment, as can be heard in the new 'Earthquake Ensemble' patch (the successor to 'Thunderensemble').

It seems a shame that EW went the custom player route, as being able to load libraries into Kontakt2 is a big plus in my book...
    >> I couldn't agree more!

Hey Karma,

Thanks so much for your reply. That was very insightful and gave me exactly the answers I was looking for.
    I had looked at the EW forum but found it a bit of a fanfilled jumble

Though I'm still seriously considering it, I'm going to find out whether I can demo it somewhere first before I part with the cash.

Yeah, I always thought the Kontakt option was a good one and other than midi drag and drop and downloadable content it seems it can (out)match Play quite easily...

Cheers,

Joris
    Joris de Man - Composer | Sound Designer - www.jorisdeman.com | Killzone 2 soundtrack now available on iTunes link

I got Stormdrum 2 yesterday and it sounds amazing. The Play engine is OK here so far and when it goes 64 bit with scripting it will be even better.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Joris de Man View Post
    Hey Karma,

Thanks so much for your reply. That was very insightful and gave me exactly the answers I was looking for.
    I had looked at the EW forum but found it a bit of a fanfilled jumble
    Aye and therein lies half the problem. There was until last night a thread with several users reporting instabilities and difficulties with SD2, myself included. Unfortunately such discussion was obviously deemed inappropriate, so it was promptly locked and deleted.

In sort answer to your question - SD2 is fantastic - the loops are very good, more of the same we've been used to and so glad to have for the past few years. Plus being in MIDI form, tweaking them is lovely and simple. The sounds themselves are cracking, though seemingly with a little more bias to ethnic than straight hollywood bashings. In all, a cracking library and well worth the money.

However....

It would appear that currently as others have reported, it is horrendously unstable even at miniscule sample loads (I have had crashes from it with only 600Mb of samples loaded into a 4Gb machine!) and in order to stabilise both the player and calm down the built in convolution reverb, about the only option is to ramp up your latency - I normally run my MADI rig at either 0.7ms or 1.3ms depending on system loads, yet with a single instance of play loaded I have had problems right the way up to 24ms, which is obviously unplayable and untenable for professional operation. Couple that with their currently still being only a single stereo output, it would appear that Play has plent of promise, but despite several months on the market and numerous updates it is by no means ready for the real world yet.

Talking Re: Anyone got experience with EW's Play Engine?

Wow .... what a drag!!!!!!!!!!

Not only have they obfuscated the use of NI's Kontakt 2 engine, but they've moved to an engine that's is really distressed and top heavy from the way I understand it.

Too bad! I wish SD2 would have been cross compatible................

My dream........ SD2 ........in RMX format........ Holy crap what a winner that would be!!!!!!

Helllo!!!!!!!!!! anyone at EW listening?

The best and most stable way to use it at the moment is as a standalone with Soundflower into your DAW, in my case, Logic Pro.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Quote Originally Posted by Patthoven View Post
    Wow .... what a drag!!!!!!!!!!

Not only have they obfuscated the use of NI's Kontakt 2 engine, but they've moved to an engine that's is really distressed and top heavy from the way I understand it.

Too bad! I wish SD2 would have been cross compatible................

My dream........ SD2 ........in RMX format........ Holy crap what a winner that would be!!!!!!

Helllo!!!!!!!!!! anyone at EW listening?

Given that sentiment (which I share) - I bet Eric wishes he could release the next edition of RMX now instead of next Sept.

But of course I'd rather have it right - the first time.
    Rob Elliott Music
    www.robelliottmusic.com

Go Back to forum