• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Naming a piece of music

Share/Bookmark

Naming a piece of music

I posted a piece in the listening room along with this comment:

For some reason the name of this piece is Crosius, and I can't seem to find out what that means or who it is, but I am sure that the name is right, although the spelling may not be correct.

No one has yet commented on the above statement which brings me to my question.

How do you go about naming a piece of music?

The way I do this, is by listening to it until the piece tells me its name.

This has never failed me and I have never gone back and renamed a piece something else.

Ron

Re: Naming a piece of music

Poorly.

I've never been good at naming pieces. I would be interested to see how other people go about doing so. I'll have an idea of what it's about, but coming up with a title is hard.

This is from an old post of mine...

How important are titles? Does it affect whether you click/listen to a
    particular piece? Are you disappointed if you don't hear a connection
    between the title and the piece?

"Lament on the suffering of Lepers" <---Would you click on this?

"Sonata for Violin and Piano in Bb Major" <---What if it was very modern/dissonant? Would you feel somehow cheated?

"Vectors #17b" <---- Probably not a Romantic work? What if it was?

"Intergalactic Battle of the Giant Robots in C Major" <--- How old do you think this composer is?

***Ron, I like your idea of having the piece name itself, but I'm barely on speaking terms with my own music. - k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    The way I do this, is by listening to it until the piece tells me its name.

This has never failed me and I have never gone back and renamed a piece something else.
    That's exactly what I do, though the name it tells me is not usually a made-up word. There are a few exceptions. Sometimes I'll let someone else name a piece for me, or sometimes I'll use a boring descriptive name like "Largo for String Quartet" or "Trio for Harp, Flute, and Oboe." One piece I named "Hour by Hour" because of the way I tried to write it, and by the time I was finished I was so used to the name that I couldn't change it.

However, not going back to rename a piece is more a matter of will-power than it is finding a good name.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post

***Ron, I like your idea of having the piece name itself, but I'm barely on speaking terms with my own music. - k

ROFL

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post

"Intergalactic Battle of the Giant Robots in C Major" <--- How old do you think this composer is?

k
    Didn't Beethoven compose this piece?

Ron

Well, generally, I also find the piece names itself. This leads to some titles as

Ossified Icicles
    Uncircumscribed Farkles
    Pootie Pookie Polka

But sometimes, the title is descriptive, at least to me, which leads to

Transformation Sonata
    Diabolic Toccata
    Kyso (Knocks Your Socks Off)

The middle movement of Transformation Sonata is nearly finished again. I pitched out the previous final version because, although it fit the description of what I wanted, it was boring. The new final version uses it for a parts supply, and does not bore me as the old one did.

Richard

Sometimes, when I come up with a story-line or theme for a song, I can usually name it within the first few measures, or even before the song has begun written. But most of the time, when I just start writing, I don't name it until half-way through or until it is completely done. Usually the name kind of fits, sometimes it doesn't.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    How do you go about naming a piece of music?Ron
    You must wait until you are dead. They named that famous Sonata of Beethoven The Moonlight Sonata, while he just told us that it was another piece from his hand, number such and such..... Or that Raindrop Prelude of Chopin...

If I'm just writing/finishing off (I don't write much music) a piece that has a beginning and an end, then I just usually have something to do with America in the title - it's a querky thing of mine - a bit like Hitchcock appearing in his films. Or if not the USA, then the Americas in general.

I'm doing one now for someone's CD and it's called Mexican Orange Blossom - it's got nothing to do with Mexican Orange Blossom, but for some reason it HAS to be called that.

Don't ask me, my latest work was entitled "op.43"
    1st price in title creativity on that one ey?
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Go Back to forum