• Register
  • Help

Topic: Tenor Sax 4 Tunning

Share/Bookmark

Tenor Sax 4 Tunning

I am having problems with tunning using the Tenor Sax 4. I am working with the fine tunning in cents but still unable to get it in tune with my piano (Ivory by Synthogy) I am doing a quartet tune with piano, bass, drums and tenor. Has anybody run into this? I have noticed that when I hold a solo note down I hear the note change pitch slightly after a few seconds. I like the sound of Tenor Sax 4 so much and I don't want to have to change to something else. Any thoughts?

Carl Mussmann

Re: Tenor Sax 4 Tunning

With any and all sample libraries, there will be pitch issues.
    If the note goes out of tune, you need to draw in pitch bend data in the midi track so it doesn't.

It actually sounds better to make these pitch corrections in your sequencer's "audio" track, as opposed to making the correction in the midi.

Digital Performer has audio pitch correction as part of it's software.

That's what I do all the time with many instruments.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    With any and all sample libraries, there will be pitch issues.
    If the note goes out of tune, you need to draw in pitch bend data in the midi track so it doesn't.

It actually sounds better to make these pitch corrections in your sequencer's "audio" track, as opposed to making the correction in the midi.

Digital Performer has audio pitch correction as part of it's software.

That's what I do all the time with many instruments.
    Dan
    Dan
    Thanks...
    I have tried a little of what you said and it is working..
    Carl

You say that the pitch changes after a little while? Check the value of CC#22 in the Kontakt Player. JABB provides a controller (pretty sure it's #22) that creates the impression of realism by having notes move into tune over a user-determined length of time, as real human players do. Setting the CC to a value of 0 will force the instrument to be perfectly in tune all the time. By "perfectly in tune", I mean it won't glide into tune, it will start at it's determined pitch and stay there.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

You say that the pitch changes after a little while? Check the value of CC#22 in the Kontakt Player. JABB provides a controller (pretty sure it's #22) that creates the impression of realism by having notes move into tune over a user-determined length of time, as real human players do since nobody plays perfectly in tune all the time. Players are constantly adjusting to the other players around them. Setting the CC to a value of 0 will force the instrument to be perfectly in tune all the time. By "perfectly in tune", I mean it won't glide into tune, it will start at it's determined pitch and stay there. If the sample itself is out of tune, then you can correct that by inserting the proper amount of Pitch Wheel controller at the beginning of the track before any notes are played or by adjusting the fine tuning on the K2 player.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

Sorry about the double post. I didn't think the first one went through, so I edited some and re-posted. Apparently both came through after all.
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA

After years of playing in big bands I can confidently say that Tenor Saxes never tune anyway...plus what's with that open C#? GAAA!
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum