• Register
  • Help

Topic: Gamelan

Share/Bookmark

Gamelan

Just a heads up. I'm not sure if we're supposed to mention products from developers who aren't part of the NS stable, but I was just so excited by this. Soniccouture have released a Balinese Gamelan, sampled to the bezillionth degree, in Kontakt format.

I know a few members here have asked for Gamelan down the years. I've been personally obsessed by it, spending several thousand hours building my own Gamelans out of individual samples that I've found here and there on the net. But now here's the one I always dreamed of; every articulation of every note of every instrument, with multiple velocities - as well as a script to handle paired playing of the metallophones.

Re: Gamelan

great, thanks I didn't know that manufacturer. they have some interesting products.
    Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

Quote Originally Posted by Uli Reuter View Post
    great, thanks I didn't know that manufacturer. they have some interesting products.
    They certainly do. I already bought the Hang Drum a couple of months ago. I desperately wanted to buy a real Hang, having seen someone busking on one, but it turned out to be impossible. You have to travel to Switzerland just to join the two year waiting list for one, and pick your tuning; and sometimes there's a halt where nobody can join the waiting list until further notice.

So it was great to see that someone had sampled one; and it turned out to be in such detail and quality that I can do without the real drum.

My gamelan should arrive in the next couple of days - I'll let you know how it goes.

That leads me to an instrument I'd like to see sampled so much...
    Have you seen this performance from JazzFest Berlin:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lHffmK96lQ

They call that bass instrument Hajouj (I think more commonly used is "Gombri" or Guimbri or whatever)

Prominently used also by Houssaine Kili

http://www.houssainekili.com/

what a sound, I love that so much.

So if someone can point me to a library with that, you're welcome. Otherwise, manufacturers go ahead
    Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

I do have a small issue with the price however: $499! For gamelan?????!!?!

I'm not into world/ethnic music, not by a gazzilion, but this seems quite a lot of money for something SO specific...

Quote Originally Posted by nikolas View Post
    I do have a small issue with the price however: $499! For gamelan?????!!?!

I'm not into world/ethnic music, not by a gazzilion, but this seems quite a lot of money for something SO specific...
    Yeah, I kind of balked at that....but, on the other hand, I've been waiting sooooo long for it to be done properly. All the other gamelans on the market seem to just sample a couple of the instruments, or they give you hits on typical groupings of instruments, but not individual instruments; there's always some kind of compromise.

I used to be doing an MA in ethnomusicology, until family circumstances got in the way, and Gamelan was my main area of research (other than Khoomei). I've read so many enormous books, which, for me, is only just tolerable if it's followed by experimentation and experience. There are very few opportunities, within a couple of hundred miles of where I live, to get involved with an actual gamelan, so I managed to swallow the price by telling myself how much I'm saving on travel.

1. Wow. I have to stop watching that site or I may come in my shorts. That's just THE coolest. It rates a 10+ on coolness. I dunno if I can convince myself to drop $499 until after tax seasons, but Holy Mackerel it's FANTASTIC. I've heard the real deal in Indonesia and what they capture really well is the -bass-. When you're in a room with those deep gongs, you feel the ground vibrating up yer legs right through yer loins. Seriously. It's a total body experience.... not just the 'tinglee, tinglee' thing you hear in film scores.

2. What's the name of the tuned cymbal/gong thing Steve is playing in that Hadouk Trio video?

Thanks!

---JC

Quote Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
    2. What's the name of the tuned cymbal/gong thing Steve is playing in that Hadouk Trio video?
    ---Never mind. I imagine it's their 'Hang Drum'. Wow again... that's the sound I've heard in about 10 soundtracks in the past few years (Solaris). I thought it was some sort of gamelan played with soft mallets. That's a must have.

I'm learning so much today.

---JC

There is a less expensive AKAI version of gamelan instruments by Propeller Island: about $234, for those who cannot afford the new set.

Go Back to forum