• Register
  • Help

Topic: Audio cards - quick question

Share/Bookmark

Audio cards - quick question

I am currently using M-Audio's Firewire 410. Would I get less latency with a PCI card. Say, M-Audio 2496?
    Dave M

Re: Audio cards - quick question

Quote Originally Posted by commalot View Post
    I am currently using M-Audio's Firewire 410. Would I get less latency with a PCI card. Say, M-Audio 2496?
    Dave M
    Probably not.
    What latency do you get at present? What O/S are you running and what sequencer?
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

I have a PC P4, XP SP2, 1.5 gigs ram, Sonar 5 PE. If I run ASIO drivers I get huge latency. Probably about 150 msec. So I use WDM. Actually it isn't that bad with WDM. What I'm really trying to figure out is why my computer shuts down occassionally with Altiverb running. It's not Altiverb that's the problem. I thought maybe a PCI card would have a better and quicker link with the processor. - Update- I'm using GVI and had all 16 slots to a different channel. I put them all to outputs 1 and 2 and haven't had a problem since. Maybe Altiverb trying to process audio on 16 different channels was too much for my P4. I have a separate audio track for each slot in GVI so I can solo each midi track thru Altiverb.
    Dave M

I have a PC P4, XP SP2, 1.5 gigs ram, Sonar 5 PE. If I run ASIO drivers I get huge latency. Probably about 150 msec. So I use WDM. Actually it isn't that bad with WDM. What I'm really trying to figure out is why my computer shuts down occassionally with Altiverb running. It's not Altiverb that's the problem. I thought maybe a PCI card would have a better and quicker link with the processor. - Update- I'm using GVI and had all 16 slots to a different channel. I put them all to outputs 1 and 2 and haven't had a problem since. Maybe Altiverb trying to process audio on 16 different channels was too much for my P4. I have a separate audio track for each slot in GVI so I can solo each midi track thru Altiverb.
    Dave M
    Your first issue is why the Asio 2 drivers don't work correctly.
    I would have to say the settings are wrong in the Asio control panel and or Sonar because you should get -3ms latency.

You would benefit from more RAM too. What CPU usage in task manager do you get before it shuts down? You may have overload I agree.

You should be using the Asio drivers though, fiddle with the settings first.

PCI is notoriously the fastest for audio cards.

I've got a 2496 in a very old PC ... and amd 1100 and when it was in use I was getting 1.5MS with no problems. ASIO

I've got Gina24 cards, ( pci and WDM ) in my 4 other machines and all 4 of them run at 1.5MS.

If PCI is the fastest, would PCIe be even faster?

http://www.sonic-core.net/en/home/index.html

I betcha' this DAWg'll Hunt.
    JimmyV

Hey Thanks guys! I've just always had it set to WDM for no good reason and took your advice. Reset it to ASIO and had 2 tracks of Stylus, Trilogy, Atmosphere, Bos 290, and ran the whole thing thru Altiverb with no disernable latency. And Altiverb didn't misbehave. CPU peaked at 40%.

Cool, Dave M

P.S. I went out and bought a Stratocaster yesterday. I always played acoustic guitar. I've got a lot of practicing to do.

Smile Re: Audio cards - quick question

Hey Thanks guys! I've just always had it set to WDM for no good reason and took your advice. Reset it to ASIO and had 2 tracks of Stylus, Trilogy, Atmosphere, Bos 290, and ran the whole thing thru Altiverb with no disernable latency. And Altiverb didn't misbehave. CPU peaked at 40%.

Cool, Dave M

P.S. I went out and bought a Stratocaster yesterday. I always played acoustic guitar. I've got a lot of practicing to do.
    Good one! I've played acoustic for 30 years and always wanted to try electric but never have, not sure why?
    Good luck with it.......

Go Back to forum