• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Galaxy II: User's opinion wanted

Share/Bookmark

Galaxy II: User's opinion wanted

Hi,
    my name is Uli and I am the producer of the Galaxy II Grand Piano Collection.
    We are soon starting to work on the next update, and I'd like to ask for some feedback on one possible change of Galaxy IIs structure:

The instrumentes of Galaxy II are now available also as a Download Edition. Those instruments load the resonance samples completely into RAM, they don't use DFD (like the regular Galaxy II instruments), so the disk load, when using the sustain pedal, is significantly reduced.
    To get these samples into RAM within a reasonable size, the resonance samples of the Download Edition are reduced to 16 Bit, their length is reduced to a max of 30 seconds and they are mapped in thirds. To my ears, this does not really affect the soundquality of the piano.
    We are thinking about a similar way for the next update of the regular Galaxy II Edition. Like I said, the main advantage is a significant reduction of disk load. In exchange, the resonance samples would be reduced smilar to the Download Edition.
    This update would have a size of about 500MB, I guess as a download.
    I would prefer to go this way, because it really would enhance playability, but I'd love to get some feedback from users on this.
    Any other suggestions for an upcoming Galaxy II update are welcome as well, of course!
    Thanks in advance
    Uli

Re: Galaxy II: User's opinion wanted

Hi Uli,
    You know my opinion. Since my DAW is capable of playing on DFD, I wouldn't want to be "forced" to jump to 16 bits. Even if it is without an easily hearable change, I think it should only be an option. But having such option would be definitely good, so... would it be possible for the 'box owners' to have access also to the downloadable 16-bit versions?

Regarding the new update, I think the most important matter is to fix those few "unfortunate" keys/samples in Vienna Grand and Steinway - mosty in Steinway. But that would most probably (in most cases) mean additional sampling. Will you be doing that? If yes, you can of course count on me in making a list of the keys that are in my opinion imperfect and should be fixed.

My Best,
    Henry
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

I see no obligation for them to make this for the Muse. The Muse is a PC style VST only machine and for the money they charge, rather underpowered IMHO. Further, it has relatively small user base.

I think they could spend their development time more usefully.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I bought the Vienna Grand (Galaxy II Download Edition). Great sound and great dynamic (timbre variation). But as "Download Edition", it has no soft pedal samples, what about adding a script to simulate "soft sample" as in Akoustik Piano?

Quote Originally Posted by thebaroner View Post
    Hi,
    To get these samples into RAM within a reasonable size, the resonance samples of the Download Edition are reduced to 16 Bit, their length is reduced to a max of 30 seconds and they are mapped in thirds. To my ears, this does not really affect the soundquality of the piano.
    We are thinking about a similar way for the next update of the regular Galaxy II Edition. Like I said, the main advantage is a significant reduction of disk load. In exchange, the resonance samples would be reduced smilar to the Download Edition.
    This update would have a size of about 500MB, I guess as a download.
    I would prefer to go this way, because it really would enhance playability, but I'd love to get some feedback from users on this.
    Any other suggestions for an upcoming Galaxy II update are welcome as well, of course!
    Thanks in advance
    Uli
    As a new user of Galaxy II, I am completely happy as it is and have on my system absolutely no performance problem using the 24 bit version and long samples.
    Sure I am not a pianist and may not have the same demand as a pianist but from a recording/mixing point of view I do have a demand for high resolution sound when it is available.
    My suggestion would also be: make any kind of lower resolution available as an option but dont make a step back and keep absolutely (unbedingt) the chromatic mapping, the full length of the samples and the high resolution as it is now.

Best regards

PS.
    I have a request though:
    I you accidentally did record the Blüthner and the Bosendorfer in surround, then make these samples available too.
    I appreciate so much the surround version of the Steinway

Actually nothing to improve soundwise or controllerwise. I like it a lot and the tweaking possibilities are amazing and pretty useful.

If anything is to improve (this goes for almost all the big libraries) it would be performance. To have it run safely on a notebook for live performances would be great. Not sure for receptor as I´m not sure how many people out there actually use Receptor instead of one of the new and pretty powerful notebooks (e.g. MacBook Pro).

To embed the string resonance samples sounds like a good idea performancewise. But....will you still be able to adjust the amount of resonance (the current default is too much for my ears)? I´m pretty sure, everyone has a different taste here.

Best regards
    Raindog

Quote Originally Posted by Raindog View Post
    o have it run safely on a notebook for live performances would be great.
    The "Download Edition" from Soundsondemand.com works very well on my notebook (a "poor" Celeron M). Glissandi are perfect even at 75 max polyphony. But as it's used with other VSTi's in Kore 2, i lower max polyphony to 50, but none of bass notes are lost.

I did not care for the sound, nor would I consider it a viable replacement for a real grand. Plastic, synthetic. No cigar.

I'm a real pianist, on a great 88-note weighted controller. Great speakers. No cigar.

JF.

Which weighted control is it that you find great? I'm always looking for opinions on the best action since keyboards are slowly moving closer and closer to simulating real acoustic action for proper speed and strength development.

Quote Originally Posted by prepboy111 View Post
    Which weighted control is it that you find great? I'm always looking for opinions on the best action since keyboards are slowly moving closer and closer to simulating real acoustic action for proper speed and strength development.
    There are already some threads about weighted keyboards here, like this one: http://northernsounds.com/forum/showthread.php?t=55856

There are also others about them, please use the 'search' option and you'll find them easily. This is a thread about Galaxy II, not controllers.

Peace
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

Go Back to forum