• Register
  • Help

Topic: The amazing power of... your bed?!?

Share/Bookmark

Exclamation The amazing power of... your bed?!?

I'm sure that I am not alone in the feeling that when it comes to judging the quality of my own work, I am easily my worst critic. Obviously, as the creator, you can see everything that is wrong, know how it was supposed to sound in your head, etc.

But seriously. What is it about my bed that seems to make everything better?

More often than I can count have I had an occasion to write something, not be happy with it, tinker, tinker some more... Only to end up frustrated because it's not going where I was hoping it would. So I leave it and go to bed. And then... something magical happens. I wake up, head over to the computer, and suddenly, the very thing that was making me unhappy isn't so bad any more. In fact, it's actually quite good.

Nothing changed. I don't think that my cat wandered over to the computer in the middle of the night and fixed anything for me. But the distance, the time away, somehow that gave me a new perspective on what I had been working on.

I find it amazing how powerful my bed must be!

Re: The amazing power of... your bed?!?

For me it's yardwork. I have a magic lawnmower!

Seriously, It isn't so much the bed as just getting out of your head for a while. When I have a problem I can't solve, I'll get up from my desk and go do something else for an hour or two, and when I get back to work I can look at it more clearly.

Magic Lawnmower would be a good name for a band.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

yep -- when i was a software engineer and had a thorny problem, i'd lie down and let my mind drift -- like those magic eyes pictures, where you need to NOT focus and your brain does the rest, many problems get solved when the conscious mind gets a break (i need to remind myself of that often, too when I get obsessed with some problem)

Great post!
    Karen

Actually, I my cat does wander over to my computer in the middle of the night and fixes stuff; we have a deal... he fixes my stuff, I don't fix his "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by DDW View Post
    Actually, my cat does wander over to my computer in the middle of the night and fixes stuff; we have a deal... he fixes my stuff, I don't fix his "stuff".
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

The opposite seems to happen to me... I write something I think sounds wonderful, and then I come back the next day and say "what was I thinking? This is horrible!" It suddenly becomes easier to hear the wrong things...
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Well, I have always found that problems can be solved when not actively or consciously working on them. I deliberately use this technique when I am stuck trying to remember some elusive details, or work out some problem. It is very helpful when composing to clear the problem from my consciousness, either by working on another piece, or playing the piano, or talking to my dog. Doesn't make much difference what, just a change. Then I can return to my problem and find that it is now solvable.

This only works, naturally, when I have been trying to solve a problem and considered it from as many perspectives as possible before I put it aside.

Richard

Go Back to forum