Topic: Using GPO and KONTAKT2 with Other Notation Programs

Share/Bookmark

Using GPO and KONTAKT2 with Other Notation Programs

If you have a notation program that does not have facilities to connect to
    soft synths, you can still use GPO. By installing MidiYoke you will have a
    "pipe" through which you can feed the Kontakt2 player with midi from your
    notation program. The instructions below specifically refer to Windows XP
    which is the only OS I have tried it on but other platforms are supported.

1 Download and install MidiYoke from www.midiox.com/myoke.htm.

Installation is particularily simple on Windows XP.
    Other platforms are supported but it is not clear to me whether it will
    work with VISTA .

2 Under Windows XP you should find that there is now a control panel applet:
    "MYokeNT" which has a few options parameters available including the number
    of ports (1-16).

Each MidiYoke port is effectively a pipe passing data
    received on its input to the programme connected to its output.

3 Make sure you read the documentation on the site. In particular note the
    warning about connecting inputs to outputs!

4 Start up your notation program.

5 Find and select the midi port configuration options in that program.

On Personal Composer which is the one I have tested this on ,select the
    MIDI menu and then "MIDI ports.."

6 You should then find you have available a number of ports named "Out to
    MidiYoke: 1","Out to MidiYoke: 2", etc

7 Select one of these ports ."Out to MidiYoke: 1" for example.

8 Start Kontakt 2 standalone player.

9 Under the "File" menu select "Audio/Midi Setup" option.

10 On the Audio Setup page,select MIDI and should now see Input and Output
    interfaces. amongst these you should have MIDIYoke input and output ports.
    Select "In From Midi yoke : 1" (in our example). Then OK closes the dialog.

11 Load in the GPO instruments you wish to use. (You will probably wish to
    save them as a multi to return to later - Kontakt2 Player "Load/Save".)

12 You should now be able to use the GPO instruments in your notation
    program.

Re: Using GPO and KONTAKT2 with Other Notation Programs

I use this method myself on a Mac running OS X Leopard (previous versions will be little or no different). Allow me to augment your tutorial by explaining the equivalent process on a Mac computer.

Everything will be the same as the above, except for the use of MidiYoke; there is no Mac version. Mac computers have a built-in interapplication port driver that just needs to be activated. To do this:

1. Open the "Finder" and go to "Applications\utilities"

2. Open the program "Audio MIDI Setup" and click the "MIDI Devices" tab.

3. Double click the IAC Driver icon.

4. In the properties window that pops up, check the "Device is online" checkbox.

5. Click the "More Information" arrow if it is not already selected.

6. You can add, delete, and rename ports in the ports list. If I am not mistaken, there is one port by default.

7. Add at least 3 ports, Kontakt Player 2 can handle up to 4 ports (each has 16 channels). If you would like, you can add more ports in the IAC Driver properties window if other programs need to be using them at the same time.

8. Set up your notation program through its own MIDI setup window to output to the four Apple IAC buses in the same manner as the above post.

Thanks for your info re Mac.

I was wondering how to use the other Kontakt ports and get 4x16 instruments - Personal Composer also allows up to 4 ports. I just had not made the connection(mental!).

It will be interesting to see if anyone comes up with more solutions .

Anyone got any more?

Quote Originally Posted by mlord View Post
    Other platforms are supported but it is not clear to me whether it will
    work with VISTA .
    If it doesn't, you can use LoopBe30 instead. This is not gratis, however.

Excellent work mlord!

This is going to be of great help to people who work with music programs that do not support hosting. We receive quite a number of people asking and now we can point them to a solution

We were surprised when Kontakt 2 came out and would not work any longer with Garritan Studio. We are planning to integrate Studio features into ARIA for those people who want to use our libraries in non-hosting applications.

In the meantime your solution will be of great benefit.

Thanks very much for posting this.

My best,

Gary Garritan

We are planning to integrate Studio features into ARIA for those people who want to use our libraries in non-hosting applications.
    Very good news Gary!
    David

"A painter who has no doubts about his own ability will attain very little" - Leonardo da Vinci.

I'm probably more stupid than most but these explanations are not clear enough for me. I must say that I find all that MIDI stuff very complicated, it sure wasn't made to make things easy, that's for sure! There has to be an easier way to make music on a computer! We can easily do photography on computer, easily do desktop and web publishing, easily draw, etc., but up until now, there hasn't been an easy way to make music; who will do it?...

I use Harmony Assistant on an iMac 24" 2.8 mHz (Myriad Software). I know how to set this notation software to MIDI, but for the rest, Kontak 2, IAC driver setting, that's all Kligon to me. And most info you see is about MidiYoke, not available on Mac. I tried to follow what is said about the Mac above, but since you have to "cut and paste" info from Mac to PC, I get lost somewhere in the middle (told you I wasn't very smart... ). It would be very nice if someone would very clearly describe what has to be done on a Mac and on a Mac alone, not refering to PC as above, and may be even include screen shot if it can help one understand. I'm very grateful for what is above, but obviously, I'm missing something.

Gary, if you are reading this, you seem to say that Aria will solve all these problem. Really? When is it due out? What will it be priced at? Will GPO and JABB work with it or will an upgrade be necessary? If an upgrade is needed, do you have an idea of what it will cost? Or more simply, is there somewhere I can read these info (at least, I didn't see anything on your site). So many question...

Quote Originally Posted by LNappert View Post
    It would be very nice if someone would very clearly describe what has to be done on a Mac and on a Mac alone, not refering to PC as above, and may be even include screen shot if it can help one understand. I'm very grateful for what is above, but obviously, I'm missing something.
    The "Midi Yoke" capability is built-in on the Mac. You simply need to go to the
    Applications->Utilities->Audio MIDI Setup Tool. Go to the MIDI tab at the top, and see the IAC icon on the screen.

From Apple's Help:
    "With Audio MIDI Setup, you can use a feature known as the IAC driver to allow MIDI applications to transfer information to each other. For example, you might have a MIDI keyboard application send its MIDI data to another MIDI synthesizer application.

To use the IAC driver, turn on the driver and then specify the number of buses you want for your applications. Each bus (sometimes referred to as a port) provides a source and a destination that will appear in your MIDI applications. You then specify that one application uses the bus as a destination and another uses the same bus as a source. For example, one application sends information to Bus 1 as a destination and another application receives that information from Bus 1 as a source. One application sends information to a bus and another application receives data from it."

Hope this helps.
    Keith Walls

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
    Hope this helps.
    Keith Walls
    It sure does! Thanks!

An update - WINDOWS 7

loopMIDI seems to work fine with WIN7

(tried with ARIA)

Go Back to forum