• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT: Help!! I spilled Coffee on my Keyboard!!!

Share/Bookmark

OT: Help!! I spilled Coffee on my Keyboard!!!

Hey everyone.

Well, as the subject suggests, I was a complete idiot and managed to spill an entire cup of coffee on my Kurzweil K2600X keyboard this morning. I was trying to hang a shelf, when I lost control of it, bumped my computer monitor, which bumped my steaming hot cup of coffee, spilling it all over the keys. I managed to catch and save the monitor, but the keyboard took the full brunt of the attack.

Now, about half of the keys are not working. Has this or something similar ever happened to anyone else? Am I doomed?!! I'm hoping that, if I let it dry, I'll be able to turn it on and it will work fine. However, I am a realists and realize that that is probably a very long shot.

I'm not panicked, I have a backup keyboard, but darn it, that IS a beautiful piece of equipment and I'd hate to have to scrap it or have an 80 pound paper weight.

Does anyone know how I can clean it or fix it if it doesn't work once it's dried?

Oh well, it's starting off to be a great day. At least I don't have to teach today! :-)

Thanks for the help and the ear.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Help!! I spilled Coffee on my Keyboard!!!

Hi Jonny,

was there sugar included in your coffee?

The best way is: open it and clean it with many water. After cleaning dry it with a hair dryer until it is completely dry.

I did the same with a stagemixer (it was beer inside ) and all works fine after this procedure...

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    Hi Jonny,

was there sugar included in your coffee?

The best way is: open it and clean it with many water. After cleaning dry it with a hair dryer until it is completely dry.

I did the same with a stagemixer (it was beer inside ) and all works fine after this procedure...

Best,

Gunther
    I'd say the same. We had a leak through the roof of our 'studio' at school, straight onto a Roland D10 and an Akai AX73. Fortunately they weren't on at the time, so nothing was instantly fried. We simply put them in a very warm room till they had completely dried out, and they seem to work fine. So water doesn't seem to be a problem.

I'm not sure that I'd use much attrition in the cleaning process though. If there's much that appears to be terribly stuck on I'd take it to a professional.

I also recommend using electrical grade contact cleaner. It comes in a spray can and is quick drying. It is used to remove contaminants from electronics. John

I did the same thing once to a Yamaha keyboard, and after it dried out (after ~ 1 week) it worked fine for the most part. The electronic parts cleaner sounds like a great idea, though and hopefully everything will work well afer that!

Not to reprimand ya but the first thing you should have done was to turn the keyboard upside down. I also spilled coffee on a Roland FP 8 a few years ago and immediately turned it upside down. Most of it dripped out yet did open it up and cleaned it out with pot cleaner and dried with a hair drier (on low). Nothing happened to it electronically fortunately. Now if it were beer!
    Good luck!
    Styxx

My buddy did that to his digital piano and after a week or so, it dried on its own and worked perfectly. And Middle C was brown after that too!!

Maybe this is obvious, but since you know that some of the keys are not working, maybe it's not: don't turn it on, and unplug it until you've opened it up and dried it out with paper towels and a blow dryer.

Question Re: OT: Help!! I spilled Coffee on my Keyboard!!!

Coffee on my computer keyboard I used windex (regular not extra strength) and a can of Compressed air immediately after spraying with windex. Did this in a couple of sessions before everything became normal. Of coarse this is the last resort. Try contact cleaner+lub FIRST

http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/801b.html

Hey everyone,

Wow, thanks for the suggestions. This is just a little update. I let the keyboard sit all day to dry. I just turned it back on and things are looking better. Most of the keys are now working. I'm going to let it sit over night to see if the rest of them dry out. If not, I'll open her up and try to clean the contacts.

Once again, thanks for the help. It's a hard lesson to learn and I learned it well. I'll update you all in the morning.

Have a good night.

Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Go Back to forum