• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Spectrasonics Intel Mac situation

Share/Bookmark

Spectrasonics Intel Mac situation

There's been a number of threads on this topic and I thought it would be good to reply in a fresh thread to clear up any confusion for our Intel Mac users.

Without reiterating all the info that's been explained pretty well already, I'd like to offer a little perspective on what we've done and clarify where we are going.

We're definitely not leaving anyone behind.

The best reference point is Stylus RMX, because it's already made the transition to native in-house Spectrasonics code.

• Stylus RMX
    - superceded original Stylus Classic/licensed engine (long-term solution for Stylus)
    - uses native in-house Spectrasonics engine
    - Superior features/innovation
    - upgrade for Stylus Classic users
    - Native UB support
    - Outstanding and timely software support for new platforms, host issues, etc.

• Omnisphere
    - supercedes original Atmosphere/licensed engine (long-term solution for Atmosphere)
    - uses native in-house Spectrasonics engine
    - Superior features/innovation
    - upgrade for Atmosphere users
    - Native UB support
    - Will have same outstanding and timely software support for new platforms as RMX

• We've also promised a STEAM-based solution to Trilogy as well that will be native UB, with an upgrade for existing users too.

We realize the current wait is frustrating for Intel Mac users, which is why we released the interim free solution of the Intel wrappers for Atmosphere and Trilogy as a public beta last fall. The performance of the wrappers does vary a lot from system to system, so it's not a perfect solution for everyone. However, it's working and in use daily by many of our pro users and works quite well on certain systems. The performance charts on the public beta site are a good measure of what kinds of results you can expect with various systems. Faster systems offer much lower latency performance (especially with Trilogy). There are also other options for workaround solutions to continue using Atmosphere and Trilogy too. Our tech support department is always available to recommend options and provide system troubleshooting for our users.

Regarding communication, we've worked very hard to communicate with our users on this topic of Macintel compatibility. However, it has not been easy because it's not been possible to communicate comprehensively about the entire situation and the complete roadmap of all our future products. I'm certainly willing to take some blame for the communication not being perfect, and it's a real shame if assumptions people may have made based on any of our statements have caused any of our users difficulty - that was certainly never our intention.

We've been very careful to be consistent in what we've said on this topic. (Atmosphere and Trilogy have a long term future and that future will be based on in-house technology that is Intel Mac native UB...still 100% true). We've absolutely NEVER said that the long term native UB solution was "right around the corner", in fact we've always said the opposite...that it was going to take quite a while for these instruments to make the transition and so most importantly, we made a lot of effort to NEVER promise native UB versions of Atmosphere and Trilogy. Unfortunately, people wanted native UB Atmosphere and Trilogy plug-ins so badly that no matter how we phrased our statements (solutions, etc), people heard what they wanted to hear, instead of what we were actually saying.

People venting their frustration on forums regarding the wait and misunderstandings is totally understandable. It's only too bad when people assume the worst...because our track record with our customers is excellent. Remember that Spectrasonics was one of the very first companies to offer free cross-platform plug-in support as well as one of the only companies to not charge for the OS9 to OSX transition or the VST to AU transition (which then became standard practice). We were also the first music software company to offer hours of video tutorials for free. Our upgrade policies have always been generous and fair.

Stylus RMX is an excellent example of the software support we are capable of with an instrument that's already transitioned to native in-house code. It was actually the first native UB available on the market, because it was completely under our own control. We've also had many more free feature and sound updates for RMX for the same reason.

You can expect the same level of support with Omnisphere and all future STEAM-based Spectrasonics instruments.

I'd like to also make it clear that it was never a possibility for us to port the original licensed engine that Atmosphere and Trilogy use to Macintel, so the only options available were to rebuild with a new engine and obviously the smartest decision was to rebuild these instruments with the best future in mind. When you see all that Omnisphere has to offer when it ships in September, it'll be extremely clear why we chose this "forward thinking' route.

So the transition to using all native in-house Spectrasonics code is a very important one. It will allow us to make these kinds of technology transitions much easier and faster in the future for the entire product line.

We had originally planned to have this key software transition for Spectrasonics happen seamlessly behind the scenes, but Apple's unexpected move to Intel processors didn't allow for our transition to be as nearly as smooth and private as we had hoped...hence the delay and Mac user frustrations expressed on threads like this on public forums.

We are very much looking forward to the completion of this transition to STEAM-powered instruments and a complete native UB product line. The big picture for Spectrasonics will be clear to everyone at that point.

Hope that's helpful!

Cheers,

spectrum

Re: Spectrasonics Intel Mac situation

Thanx , Im sure the products will be crazy...
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

Without rehashing all the past 'discussions' of this, if you go to the Spectrasonics site and click on Atmos or Tril there still isn't any info that they are incompatible with Intel machines, even under your FAQ for each instrument. Lots of tech info but no mention of Intel 'issues'. I don't think that is right. You have to click on your 'News' section to see that there is no Intel compatibility. (Without the clumsy wrapper) Apologies if this has changed in the last few weeks as I haven't visited the site in recent weeks.

Good luck with your new product! Love the old ones but unfortunately won't be able to use them once we switch over to the new Mac Pros.

Talking Re: Spectrasonics Intel Mac situation

Quote Originally Posted by michael c View Post
    Without rehashing all the past 'discussions' of this, if you go to the Spectrasonics site and click on Atmos or Tril there still isn't any info that they are incompatible with Intel machines, even under your FAQ for each instrument. Lots of tech info but no mention of Intel 'issues'. I don't think that is right. You have to click on your 'News' section to see that there is no Intel compatibility. (Without the clumsy wrapper) Apologies if this has changed in the last few weeks as I haven't visited the site in recent weeks.

Good luck with your new product! Love the old ones but unfortunately won't be able to use them once we switch over to the new Mac Pros.
    I haven't used a "new" Mac since 1991, but I use Atmosphere and Stylus on occasion, and I have followed Eric's statements here on the Intel-mac situation.

Let me restate the facts as I understand them, in simple terms:

1. For the next 6 months, use the wrapper software that's available on Spec's website with an Intel-based Mac. Be aware, however, this is only a temporary work-around and you may experience problems with the current products and an Intel-based Mac.

2. In September of 2008, Spec's will release a new product named Omnisphere, that will contain native code support for Intel Macs, as well as other platforms. Omnisphere looks quite exciting.

Clear?

Im alittle confused about Trilogy, maybe I missed something. I know Triolgy is being remade from the ground up, but is there a time frame as to when it will come out?
    MacBook Pro 17-inch 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 4GB memory Mac OS X (10.6.2) Logic Pro 9, G-Tech Raid 2 1TB/Lacie HD, RME Fireface 400, Axiom 25, Voices Of Passion, Goliath, Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Symphonic Chiors, Silk, R.A., Storm Drums 2, Stylus RMX, Peak Pro,Trilian, and Omnisphere.

www.plusishiphop.com
    www.myspace.com/plusishiphop
    www.twitter.com/plusishiphop
    www.youtube.com/plusishiphop

No complaints here Big Eazy. Thanks for droppin back through to give folks a heads up and I'm REALLY looking forward to Omnisphere. No seriously, I would pay quadruple the price to have it now, gonna make my life so sweet. Holler if you need a beta tester!

Thats flat out wrong... before the Intel Wrappers there was an extremely clear indication about the Intel non-compatibility. And now its quite clear that there are wrappers for Atmos and Trilogy.

As for a timeline for Trilogy I wouldn't expect to be told when... as its been clear over the last year with both NI/East West as well as Spectrasonics that it'll be ready when it's ready... giving a date is a no win situation in software development as things always come up and then users on forums complain that they have not made that date. Giving a date would be just an estimation at best. There's a pretty good reason why companies like Apple and Digidesign don't give out dates for stuff like this.

Kudos to Eric to clearing up the perceptions on Spectrasonic's Intel Mac position, I'm sure Omnisphere will become the gold standard for Software Synths just like RMX has... really looking forward to it!

Without rehashing all the past 'discussions' of this, if you go to the Spectrasonics site and click on Atmos or Tril there still isn't any info that they are incompatible with Intel machines, even under your FAQ for each instrument. Lots of tech info but no mention of Intel 'issues'. I don't think that is right. You have to click on your 'News' section...
    Thanks for the heads up about the site. We'll spend some time this week making sure that every page on whole site regarding Atmosphere and Trilogy are up to date with the latest Intel Mac info.

Good luck with your new product!
    Thanks!

Love the old ones but unfortunately won't be able to use them once we switch over to the new Mac Pros.
    Have you ever tried the wrappers on Mac Pros? Don't write that option off, because they actually work quite well on those computers.

One of the interesting things that we noticed at NAMM was that we had numerous users talking to us about how the wrappers don't work...but when we asked them about what system they were using them on, they said they had actually never tried them! :-)

Many heavyweight pro users are using the wrappers successfully on these more powerful Mac Pro systems (especially with Logic/Cubase/Live/Digital Performer based systems).

Check out the performance charts in the Public Beta area, because they are a good indication of what to expect on various configurations. So far, we have yet to find anyone telling us that they don't perform differently than what we have listed here:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/viewforum.php?f=15

Quote Originally Posted by kwgm View Post
    I haven't used a "new" Mac since 1991, but I use Atmosphere and Stylus on occasion, and I have followed Eric's statements here on the Intel-mac situation.

Let me restate the facts as I understand them, in simple terms:

1. For the next 6 months, use the wrapper software that's available on Spec's website with an Intel-based Mac. Be aware, however, this is only a temporary work-around and you may experience problems with the current products and an Intel-based Mac.

2. In September of 2008, Spec's will release a new product named Omnisphere, that will contain native code support for Intel Macs, as well as other platforms. Omnisphere looks quite exciting.

Clear?
    I'm quite clear of the facts. And if I wasn't, that long thread rehashed EVERTHING ad nauseum. Not sure what you mean by you haven't used a 'new' Mac since '91 but everyone and every company has there own business plan on how to keep the wolf from the door....

Quote Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
    So far, we have yet to find anyone telling us that they don't perform differently than what we have listed here:

http://support.spectrasonics.net/viewforum.php?f=15

I will say that the voice/intance performance is very accurate with what you have in that chart.

But I take huge issue with the stability of the wrappers. I'm in Protools 7.4 HD Accel II on a Mac Pro. You know us Protools users take pride in its stability....and the wrappers make me hit Apple-S much more often than usual just to be safe. They just don't play nice.

But I really appreciate the communication...I own all your products and look forward to the new stuff.

Go Back to forum