• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Matti's Flying Theme

Matti's Flying Theme

I just posted this tune on our myspace page and mention it here because it features JABB trumpet and sax. Hope y'all get a smile from it! Constructive criticism is always welcome, too..

Re: Matti's Flying Theme

A very nice melody, WaldoB!
    I enjoyed listening. Cool orchestrating!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Waldo!

Thanks for sharing this one! It's a very fun piece!!

Take Care,

Many thanks for your very kind notes, Gunther & Steph!

Really good show here and it certainly characterizes the "airplane"
    and flying to a "T."

I loved everything about the piece: good um-pahs, total orchestration,
    melody, etc. The only thing I think that would make this a little
    more "human" would be to add some vibrato to the trumpet notes in
    places. The trumpet sounded OK, but a little too "classical."

Very enjoyable, Waldo

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Many thanks for the hint re: vibrato, Jack! I did establish a vibrato control for the trumpet, but perhaps was too timid applying it.

I often find myself wanting a sharper attack than seems to be available on some trumpet notes, too...more "ta ta ta" rather than "da da da." Haven't found quite the right magic for that yet.

You might be amused to know that the limitations of the various instruments in our collection played a big role in how the cat characters were designed. Stanley, the trumpet player, is an Ivy League scholar who tends to play in a very proper manner (especially when using an unmuted horn). He grew up listening to a lot of Boston Pops, for example. Lester, a streetwise New Yorker, plays his sax with rather less regard for propriety.

Cheers, and thanks again!

Well, this is certainly a lot of fun! Love the graphics, too. When the main tune returns, you get a near-klezmer like quality with the upper part harmonizing - nice touch.

Great rendering!
    Ron Pearl

Any reference in your name to Waldo Pepper?

I enjoyed this piece as well and will come back and listen to the others as time permits.

I agree with Jack (Rhap2) that the trumpet could use a little vibrato, but that is just cosmetics.

From the pictures, it looks like your band is composed of true Party Animals (bad joke I know).

Well done

Wilton, NH

I liked this. Very interesting. On the surface it seems like just a simple march, but there are some great twists and turns. The orchestration reminded me, for some reason, of modern Broadway. The cat jazz orchestra is a clever idea.
    Trent P. McDonald

Wow! What a friendly and generous group of people you all are! Many thanks for your attention, and apologies in advance for my noobish lack of mastery when dealing with this bulletin board.

To Ron Pearl:

The klezmer bit was a happy accident at first, then after I stopped laughing I tried to take advantage. It opens up great opportunites for comedic storyline development too...kosher requirements in the catering rider within the band's performance contracts, the real reason Lester wears that hat all the time, a new vector for practical jokes played on him by Charlie, etc.

To Rolifer:

I'd forgotten all about Waldo Pepper :>). No, the name Waldo comes from 1) a dead great-uncle, 2) a ghost town in New Mexico down the road from where I used to live, and 3) My incompetent guard dog. My real name is Bob, and I should figure out how to add a proper signature for this forum.

To Ern:

Indeed, Matti is Finnish; that's a Finnish crest he painted on the side of the Sopwith that he inherited and restored. Actually, one of my grandparents came over from Finland (around Nurmo) with her family as a very young child and they had a big farm in Paxton, MA. That was another big destination for the Finns, as you probably know. There were quite a few relatives named Matti in the old days.

I shall try to insert a proper link here:

To Trent:

Re: the Broadway connection...I was trying to capture some happy memories of my late uncle G. Wright Briggs, who used to delight me by playing show tunes when I was very young. I certainly borrowed a little piano trick from Camelot, and perhaps other stuff unconsciously.

Best wishes to all, and again, many thanks!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast