• Register
  • Help

Topic: Selling sample library problems?

Share/Bookmark

Selling sample library problems?

I've been thinking recently I'd like to make some sample libraries for myself. But I was thinking if they turned out awesome I'd like to sell them if possible. What are the problems with doing so? If I released them in lots of formats like Kontakt (.nki), Gigastudio (.gig) etc, etc, etc... Do I have to pay Tascam for selling a .gig file for example? I would own all the recorded material and edit everything myself. But the only problem I see is, can I freely sell something as a certain format? What are the costs involved if I'm not selling any playback tools, just the files that work in certain samplers of the customers choice? Do all the different sampler player companies have different policies about this? Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: Selling sample library problems?

I think it is forbidden to you.... .

An example: I use many drum libraries. Sure, when I mix some sounds together, use reverb and many other plugins I can built a very great new drumlibrary. But, because I used the original samples from other developers, it is always forbitten to me to do this.

Sure, I think there are some people who do exactly this.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

I think you misunderstood what I meant. I would record new samples and instruments in my studio. Then create the sample library so I own everything I do. I just am unsure about saving a .nki or .gig file and selling that file even though I own everything within the file.

Ah...,

oops, sorry, I understood it wrong.

So what you are doing, this is allowed and very welcome!

Best,

Gunther

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist View Post
    So what you are doing, this is allowed and very welcome!
    Thanks Gunther. So every company welcomes me selling a sample library in their sample format and not paying them in doing so? Do I even need to tell them? That's great news!

So just to be completely clear. I make .nki .gig, (insert all sampler formats here), etc, files from my recordings. List them on my website for sale and I don't need to pay anyone for licenses or anything? All the profit goes to me?

So as I know you are allowed to do this.

When I record a new Master I sell it as wav-file, mp3 or/on a CD. There is noone who want to have mony only why I use the WAV-File-Format, mp3-Format and/or Audio CD Format..... .

Perhaps a developer read this and tell us if I am right or wrong?

You make a great point Gunther. Thanks for your fast replies. I just wanted to make sure there was no hidden costs before I spend the time recording and editing.

Nope, No costs unless you have to use a bundled player. (example, Kontakt Player)

Quote Originally Posted by PeterWayne View Post
    Thanks Gunther. So every company welcomes me selling a sample library in their sample format and not paying them in doing so? Do I even need to tell them? That's great news!

So just to be completely clear. I make .nki .gig, (insert all sampler formats here), etc, files from my recordings. List them on my website for sale and I don't need to pay anyone for licenses or anything? All the profit goes to me?
    Please don't construe the following as legal advice, but simply as my opinion. If you require legal advice, send me a private message, or contact your attorney.

In general, if you do not include copyrighted or other protected materials in your distribution, then you are not liable for license fees.

You do not have to pay anyone to name your files with a specific extension, or to distribute your files using a specific directory structure.

Of course, if you want to pay me a license fee, that is OK.

It is a very good idea to read your license agreement or have your attorney look it over and get his/her opinion.

Go Back to forum