• Register
  • Help

Topic: What is in your setup that makes it "work"

Share/Bookmark

What is in your setup that makes it "work"

What are you guys using as far as equipment and software that makes it possible for you to score music to video and have all the (80+) tracks of audio running with vsts and samplers with sample collections such as true strike, ewql spectrasonics ect and record music on top of all these tracks without too many glitches and audio drop outs and such?

Anyone do this all on computer?

Is it a pc mac thing?

or are you using alot of hardware?

Thanks in advance!

Aaron

Re: What is in your setup that makes it "work"

Magic salt.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Actually, this has been covered a lot in this forum already. You could use the search function with keywords like "3 gb switch", "ram barrier", "computer setup" etc. or read some of my previous posts or that of other users that run computer farms.

If you don't have time for that you could consider consulting, e. g. our forum member Peter Alexander at www.truespec.com

That brings me to another topic, there are online orchestration courses at Truespec. Before you invest much time and money into a computer farm (I have four computers only, some have six) you should try whether that orchestration thing is for you. Work with what you have, work with bouncing, look at the orchestration course in the Garritan forum, have an eye on the orchestration courses at Truespec. I learnt a lot on a laptop with headphones and GPO before going to bigger systems and libraries. That is not to say that you should not start with expensive hardware and samples, but there will still be much learning.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Agree with Hannes very much on the orchestration thing,

I decided back in 2005 that I was going to replace my old external sound modules (Roland SC-88 and EMU Proteus/2) with samples. Of course, I didn't really know how to orchestrate at the time, and I developed some habits of throwing more patches at a particular note if it didn't sound "big" enough - worked well enough with external sound modules. So I went out and bought GigaStudio and Cubase, and wound up overloading my polyphony so easily compared to what the Roland and EMU could handle.

So in order to make use of my nice new setup, I decided I needed to spend some time learning orchestration proper to get a big sound out with lower polyphony, so that's what I did.. I also later decided to get an external samples box to avoid having to freeze/mixdown so often. Now, with the external box at my disposal, I find I rarely have to do a freeze/mixdown.

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    Magic salt.
    I woulda thought "magic fairy dust"...

as far as learning and purchasing goes, I know what I am in for.

"So in order to make use of my nice new setup, I decided I needed to spend some time learning orchestration proper to get a big sound out with lower polyphony, so that's what I did.. I also later decided to get an external samples box to avoid having to freeze/mixdown so often. Now, with the external box at my disposal, I find I rarely have to do a freeze/mixdown."

That is what I was thinking also.
    Great info and thanks for the tips guys!
    I think you will be seeing me on here for a very long time!

I have done a lot of research and work on all of this and I am down to
    gathering last minute tips that I might have missed before I dive into these things. I still have a ton of work to do.

Anyone else?

What orchestral libraries do you own, if any?
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

Quote Originally Posted by Hannes_F View Post
    Magic salt.
    Actaully, it's magic smoke.

If you let the magic smoke out of your computer, it will stop working.

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    What orchestral libraries do you own, if any?

None, I just bought celtic wind and I have Komplete 5,bfd2
    a lot of field recordings and various sample sets.

I plan on buying ewql platinum pro bundle
    and the true strike bundle next.
    I have a list.. What should I add to it?

Vsl instead of ewql? If yes, why?

Omnisphere is on that list also.

Libraries are such a personal choice.. it's usually best to go with a library that you like the sound of the best.

Myself, I find EWQL sounds too "processed" so I have little interest in buying Gold or Platinum. VSL doesn't suffer from that but is very dry and I find adding verb does not bring samples to life as much as if samples have some room verb already. Sonivox Complete Symphonic Collection is definitely my favorite - expensive, more articulations than EWQL but less than VSL, but immaculate recordings, excellent performances and just the right amount of reverb in the recordings. The strings are the most highly valued part of the Sonivox collection, but I see no particular reason why - the brass, winds and percussion IMO all match the quality of the strings.

Mike

i find electricity a useful commodity when I need to power my computers and keyboard controller.

seriously though, I rely on my Mac G5 for almost everything. I don't use other computers in tandem. Too much of a hassle. I don't write massive pieces with 5 billion instruments playing in unison anyhow. I stick with small groupings of instruments and try to build drama and texture (and tension) through counterpoint, harmonic instability, and such. I study a lot of Mahler since he was amazing at orchestrating and often used smaller groupings of instruments rather than the whole shebang all of the time.

Go Back to forum