• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Authorized Steinway Specs

Share/Bookmark

Authorized Steinway Specs

Well, I am a little disappointed because it appears that my 5 year old computer is an antique. It may be that I can not run the Authorized Steinway. The only problem is clock speed. My ancient clock is only 1.8 GHz, whereas the specs require 2.8 GHz. For the basic version, my system is otherwise okay. But it is stll unclear to me what all the differences are between versions. Can anyone provide some thoughts on the matter? Buying a new computer is not a consideration.

Richard

Exclamation Re: Authorized Steinway Specs

Can anyone provide some thoughts on the matter?
    You can't get something for nothing.

I have a hard time imagining how you'd expect a 5-year-old machine to do more than email and spreadsheet work these days. If buying a new computer is not an option, then I'd say you should not consider Garritan's Steinway. It's a self-resolving equation.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Talking Re: Authorized Steinway Specs

While we're waiting for the Steinway how about a Desktop Pic in high resolution

Re: Authorized Steinway Specs

What brand processor do you have? Pentium 4's were very inefficient. A 2.0 Athlon would be roughly equivalent to a 2.8 Pentium 4. So, if you have an Athlon, you may not be so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by rwayland View Post
    Well, I am a little disappointed because it appears that my 5 year old computer is an antique. It may be that I can not run the Authorized Steinway. The only problem is clock speed. My ancient clock is only 1.8 GHz, whereas the specs require 2.8 GHz. For the basic version, my system is otherwise okay. But it is stlll unclear to me what all the differences are between versions. Can anyone provide some thoughts on the matter? Buying a new computer is not a consideration.

Richard

Richard,

I know you've said a new PC is not an option, but if you haven't shopped for a new PC in five years, you'll be surprised at how much performance you can buy for $500 these days. Is upgrading your current PC an option? What kind of computer do you have?
    Paul Baker
    Baker's Jazz And More
    Austin, Texas, USA
    www.bakersjazzandmore.com

Well, my computer is a Hewlett Packard Pavilion 513n, using an Intel processor (Celeron, whatever that means).

One of the considerations besides the upgrade or replacement cost is what will be the problems with my current software? I have Sonar 4, which does all I need, and Sib 4.1 which works well for me. I also use two word processors, a checkbook program, and a spreadsheet now and then, and a very old data base manager, which is used daily. So part of my final decision must consider any possible replacement of my software, which I am in no mood to do. Finally, I don't know whether I am yet ready to trust Vista, and whether for my needs, to select a 32 bit or 64 bit machine. The main reason to upgrade would be to use the new Steinway, and that would certainly drive the cost quite a ways upwards, which could be disastrous on a retirement income. The income is well above what many people earn while working, but I live in California, not Ohio. My daughter in Ohio has an income less that half of mine, but she gets along well, maybe better than I.

Richard

Richard,

I agree with Houston about the idea of the self-resolving question.

However, I would like to mention that the Steinway's specs can be met with computers in the sub-$500 market (excluding monitor, which you already have) if you know where to look and watch for the sales. They'll have Vista, but it can be tweaked to behave properly. I'm running the Home Premium version currently.

Best,
    Reegs

You may even be able to pick up something second hand at auction for a $100 or so and dedicate that just to the piano. For what it's worth, Celeron chips are probably best avoided - they are Pentiums with a poorer cache (read worse performance). This means that the Celeron processor you have should be considered a warning that the piano may perform even more poorly than you might expect if it were a Pentium.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    You may even be able to pick up something second hand at auction for a $100 or so and dedicate that just to the piano. For what it's worth, Celeron chips are probably best avoided - they are Pentiums with a poorer cache (read worse performance). This means that the Celeron processor you have should be considered a warning that the piano may perform even more poorly than you might expect if it were a Pentium.
    Yeah, Alan brings up a good point. eBay is ripe with two or three-year old business machines with the right processors for really cheap. You might have to upgrade their RAM, but that has become an inexpensive task as of late.

Sorry but 64 bit machines might not run 32 bit software. For example I got 64 bit machine for my office, it wont run Adobe Acrobat. This is a 32 bit prog and doesnt operate at 64 ( at least in Windows XP). I had to re install a 32 bit version of windows, this changes the machine back to effective 32 bit.

Other software did run, but dont bet on it

Go Back to forum