• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: GS3 Freezes while opening

Share/Bookmark

GS3 Freezes while opening

Hi
    Jon Fairhurst was very helpful with advice on buying GVI as I am frustrated on the stability of GS3. I am hoping Jon or someone else can help me fix my problem so I can just use GS. I stopped the monitoring as Jon suggested.

I had GS3 working fine for quite a while. I copied my hard drives and replaced with 2 500GB drive. I then could not open GS3 without it freezing. I went through Tascam's maze of uninstalling and re-installing. It takes me about 5-10 restarts before it opens without freezing up.

I disconnected internet and have no virus software.

Can someone get me up and running again? Tascam wants me to reinstall Windows again from scratch and I want to avoid that if I can.Thanks

GR

Re: GS3 Freezes while opening

The most likely problem is that GS3 is locking while trying to connect to your soundcard driver.

GS2.5 would lock up if you started the program before the soundcard driver was fully initialized. This usually happened if one were to start the program immediately after the PC boots. In GS3, they added a timer that detects that it can't connect, waits a bit, then tries again. Usually, it works. Usually.

I'd recommend removing the soundcard and the driver, then re-installing. If that doesn't work, a fresh Windows install is your best bet.

I'll assume (as I must, knowing nothing about your system) that the problems aren't stemming from some weirdness that occurred during your drive copying/transferring, but that is always a possibility...

See if you can pinpoint exactly what is happening at the moment that GS3 freezes.

Do you have GS3 set to check the QuickSound database for changes each time you launch it?

If so, you'll see a little pop-up window that refers to QS. There's a way to expand the view, so you can actually see each file being checked as it goes through the process. If the freezing occurs while the QS database is being checked, you'll be a ble to see which file is causing the freeze.

At one point, there was a single .gig file that I had downloaded as a freebie from somewhere, which for whatever reason tripped up the QS database. Using this method I identified the errant .gig file, removed it, and my start-up freezes disappeared.

You can also change the way that the QS database scans your system. Is your QS database set to check entire drives? Another potentially helpful tip is to reconfigure QS to only scan certain folders on specific drives... you can also limit the types of file that QS will scan. Try limiting your QS database to only .gig files in a single folder, and see whether that fixes your problem. Then start adding folders/file types, and maybe you'll be able to pinpoint the source of your problems.

You can also try setting Giga to not check your QS database when it launches. You'll have to manually rebuild your database each time you add new samples, but that's really not so big a deal -- that's how I have my system set up...

[fingers crossed]
    — alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Hi Alan
    I turned off the QS for scanning in the start-up. Giga opened up the first time.

I assume I now just have to figure out which one is doing it. If you can remember how I can get it so I can observe which file is the culprit, please let me know.

Thanks to you and Jon!

GR

Lastly, I can at least get the program opened. It does not allow me to load the QS and shuts down just trying to change the settings of narrowing the opening.

At least I think I am getting close to fixing this as it must be in the QS somewhere.

Thanks and let me know if you have more advice of what I can do now that I am in the program.

GR

Quote Originally Posted by gaross View Post
    I turned off the QS for scanning in the start-up. Giga opened up the first time.

I assume I now just have to figure out which one is doing it. If you can remember how I can get it so I can observe which file is the culprit, please let me know.
    In GS3, look under

File ----> GigaStudio Settings ----> QuickSound Tab ----> QuickSound Advanced Configuration

You'll see an unchecked box accompanied by the words "Display File Statistics as Database is Being Built."

Check that box.

Close and relaunch GS3.

Cross fingers and watch...
    — alanb

I've always kept Giga away from scanning for VSTs. Could it be a plugin?

All of the help has really taught me to get around Giga and it is appreciated.
    I still get the hang on opening and it seems there are 2 temp files that do it. I found this through some of your answers. Is there a way I can get Giga to stop looking for them?

I was not able to find the spot that stops GIga from looking for the VSTs. The one path on the QS page does not allow me to remove it if that is what you were talking about.

The files do not come up on a search and I do not recognize the name. I have also re installed Giga over and over again.

Thanks
    GR

Quote Originally Posted by alanb View Post

Cross fingers and watch...
    This quote sums up my experience with GS3. I switched to GVI.
    To be fair, I've read that others have no problem with GS3 as long as it is on a dedicated computer. I've concluded it's an antisocial program. Give it a solitary space and it doesn't misbehave.
    Dave M.

Quote Originally Posted by commalot View Post
    To be fair, I've read that others have no problem with GS3 as long as it is on a dedicated computer. I've concluded it's an antisocial program. Give it a solitary space and it doesn't misbehave.
    Dave M.
    This is sorta true, but also a tad overstated. Because it runs in Windows Kernel Mode, it can be more susceptible to possible interference from other drivers that "Application Layer" apps wouldn't necessarily be bothered by...

However, in my estimation -- based upon personal experience and a year of trawling the major sample-geek online fora -- the overwhelming majority of stability problems experienced by GS3 users stemmed from two things: (i) trying to run versions earlier than 3.12 on a dual-core machine, and (ii) the QuickSound Database's "active file monitoring."

The first problem was dealt with upon the release of version 3.12.

The second problem was minimized by having people disable "active file monitoring," and will hopefully be removed entirely by GS4/GVI4, both of which use a non-kernel, standalone, QuickSound app.

I created a dual-boot setup to give GS3 as much free rein as possible, but I've read on this very site about folks who use GS3 on heavily-populated machines. Once I installed v3.12 and disabled "active fle monitoring," the BSoDs I saw at first stopped, and GS3 has been pretty rock-solid ever since...
    — alanb

Go Back to forum