• Register
  • Help

Topic: Help with GPO Snare Drum in Sibelius 5.1

Share/Bookmark

Help with GPO Snare Drum in Sibelius 5.1

I don't understand how Sibelius 5.1 handles GPO. I know playback is based on a sound set (for which I have the editor)

Here's the issue: I can only play/notate one of the five notes of snare drum that are available on the KP2 player in Sibelius. How can I play the others, especially the C# that is a roll.

1. Open Sibelius and start a new score
    2. Assign one instrument, snare drum
    3. Go to the mixer, click on Snare Drum then click on KP2 in the next drop down box.
    4. In the next box click on GPO - Snares
    5. Click the audition button and hear several snare hits.
    6. Click on "Show the interface" button see the KP2 keyboard with 5 notes highlighted in blue. Play all five with mouse clicks.
    7. Put cursor on staff, play A3-C#4 and only one note plays, B3, with a single snare hit.
    8. Open Sound Set Editor and open Garritan Personal Orchestra.xml.
    9. Go to programs tab and drill down to Snares.
    10. go to Drum Maps for Snares and see the notes that are attached to various snare sounds.
    11. Go back to the Sibelius "Snare Drum" score and the only note that will sound is the B3, the single snare hit.

Why does Sibelius limit the input to only one sample mapped to B3 and not give access to the remaining snare drum samples that are clearly there?

So, to make a short question out of all this, how in the H*$% do you get a GPO Snare Drum roll?

One more issue: When I assign a staccato marking to a string instrument, I get a staccato ACCENTED note instead of just a staccato note. How does one remedy this?

Thanks
    Ron Williams
    Westminster, CO
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Re: Help with GPO Snare Drum in Sibelius 5.1

Ron,

Can't answer your snare question. But, your issue with the staccato - that is controlled/amended in the Dictionary. Open it up, scroll down to the word staccato, and my guess (I'm not on that computer, at the moment) is that you will see that it increases the attack velocity; you can adjust this any way you wish.

Sorry about the snare - did you post this on the Sib board?
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Hi,

The way that I've gotten snare rolls to work is to click on the snare bar (so that the whole bar is highlighted) then:

1. Go to House Style-Edit Instruments
    2. The Snare Drum is highlighted
    3. Click on "Edit Instrument" on the right
    4. It will warn you that the instrument is in the score (assuming it is), click ok
    5. Click on "Edit Staff Type" on the left of that dialog box
    6. You can now choose which sounds go with which articulation markings.
    7. Choose the notehead that uses the articulation that you want in your score for the snare roll. I use either the three slashes or the buzz roll articulation
    8. Go to "choose sound", this is where you select which sound i.d. will be used for the articulation selected.
    9. For the snare roll in GPO, go to Drum-Medium-Snare Drum-snares on-roll-lite (that's what I use).
    To find the correct sound i.d. you can use the sound set editor to look at the drum maps and see what they've assigned.

This works for all percussion

--Richard

I'm assuming your starting from a new score, but all the different sounds, like roll and rim shot should already be programed in. To get to the roll, you can use the buzz roll (z) symbol on the third numberpad layout. To get to rim shots, use the X notehead (shift+alt+1). If you go through Sharkbats steps, you can program new ways to get those sounds. If you also go to that menu, it will show you which ones are already set.

Pretty much, the default way to get a roll on a snare drum is to use the unmeasured tremolo (or buzz roll, whichever you want to call it), but you can reprogram it to different tremolos.
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

THANKS GUYS!

Your answers took care of all my questions. I've now been busily and happily getting the playback I wanted!!

Ron Williams
    Music is a manifestation of the human spirit similar to a language. If we do not want such things to remain dead treasures, we must do our upmost to make the greatest number of people understand their secrets -- Zoltan Kodaly

Go Back to forum