• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Giga & mp3 Demo files posted

New Giga & mp3 Demo files posted

There are several new mp3 demos and GigaSampler demo files (WinRAR self-extracting format) at http://www.numericalsound.com/smpcdgig.html for the sampling CD\'s New Orleans; The Delta Grooves and Drone Archeology.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound

Re: New Giga & mp3 Demo files posted

Nice demos! I didn\'t even know about those drones, which sound great and are quite captivating. Looking forward to playing with the demo gigs tonight.

BTW, you mentioned using \"computer resynthesis with a series of proprietary computer programs\" to create the drones. Did you write the programs yourself? Also, do you have any demos of \"[playing] keyboard harmony with a drone tone\" or perhaps with several compatible drones? This is all very intriguing.

Thanks Pat. Yes I wrote all the programs myself, however it is not a standard type of programming language it is DSP language called Zola which works within Apple\'s MPW Environment. However, the real challenge with these drones was the rendering stage. Since each drone tone often contains over 10k individual stereo harmonics two PowerPC Mac\'s working almost continuously day and night for 6 months were needed to generate each of these waveforms.

I do not have any \"harmony\" demos at this point, instead 3 drones were posted that each contain a 9 second long stereo loop in GigaSampler format. This was done so that each potential users can hear how a drone sounds with his/her own playing style as opposed to a \"fixed\" demo performance. Note that the CD drone are 30-60 seconds long so that when one holds down more that one note the resulting \"drone harmony\" will contiguously change over time in many interesting ways. I will post an example of this in the next day or so.

There is a manual that includes detailed information on the properties of each drone, as well as a harmonic classification - that should/could help in determining which drones to combine.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound

Hey Ernest, the demos sound really great! Good to see you on this forum!

Bardstown Audio

WOW!!! if anyone here is into jazz download these giga files from Ernest’s site.
    The Electro-Acoustic Modeling (E.A.M.) Kick Drum Groove there is also a snare drum.

Hey Ernest just listened to your Kick-n\' Jazz. Is this in wav format? Any plans to put this into gig format with Dna templates. It\'s sounds great.

PaPa Chalk

PaPa Chalk thanks for taking the time to listen to the examples posted. Currently Kick-n\' Jazz is available in Audio, Mac and PC CD Rom format, I will seriously consider converting it into GigaSampler Format.

PatS you asked about an harmonic drone demo. Here are two examples of \"drone harmony\" where a chord is played and held continuously through the entire length of these demos. In these two examples you can hear how the timbre changes in various ways. I will post an example with the notes changing over time next week.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound

Ernest - You Rock!

I can find at least 3 CD\'s that i want to buy asap! My god i loved Sly % Robbie...

One of my favourite guitarist Kazumi Watanabe made his MOBO 1/2 with Sly, Robbie and Marcus - whew! Cool Stuff.

Gotta have the funk-drums too and the percussion... Soon. Very soon.

Nice to have you here!

Visit www.scarbee.com and check out the demoes from The Scarbee Bass Libraries

Thanks Thomas for taking the time to check out these demos. You definitely mentioned some great musicians ! Just for others who may look at this post -- Reggae Drumsplash only features Sly Dunbar. I currently do not have a Sly & Robbie sampling CD.

Ernest Cholakis
    Numerical Sound

Thanks, Ernest, for the additional demos. Very interesting sounds, particularly Human Alienation. I\'m sold.

Orcas Island

Great demos Ernest. I think many people don\'t realize that you are one of the leading experts in acoustical spaces and impulse technology. It\'s amazing that you traveled the world to capture the impulses of amazing places, like the King\'s Chamber inside the Great Pyramid at Giza, and also sampled the reverberant spaces of the ancient Pantheon in Rome, Giotto\'s Bell Tower in Florence, the Villa of Mysteries in Pompeii and many other interesting spaces. Your articles are fascinating.

There\'s been considerable discussion in this group about acoustic spaces. What are your thoughts of simulating the acoustics of real places?

It\'s great to have you here Ernest.

Gary Garritan

Go Back to forum