• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can't get Giga to work-installs OK but upon first start it tries to scan HD's (more).

Share/Bookmark

Can\'t get Giga to work-installs OK but upon first start it tries to scan HD\'s (more).

I install Gigasampler v1.6 - everything seems OK. I go to run it for the first time it is says it\'s \"scanning HD\'s used for Audio\" and it crashes - I get an error that says error running Gigasampler if happens again reinstall Gigasampler. We\'ll I tried many things and it does this every time. I even went so far as to re-partition and reformat my System HardDisk, Installed Windows 98 fresh, and installed only my soundcard. So here all we have installed is Windows 98, Event Darla Soundcard, and Gigasampler. Nothing else. Still get the same error. Any help would be much appreciated. Here\'s my setup:

1) PIII500
    2) Abit BH6 Motherboard
    3) Adaptec 2940UW
    4) 2x 9GB IBM UWSCSI HD\'s
    5) 256MB SDRAM
    6) Event Darla v5.02 ASIO drivers

Brian

Re: Can\'t get Giga to work-installs OK but upon first start it tries to scan HD\'s (more).

There are a number of things that could cause this.

1) anti virus software - don\'t use it

2) You haven\'t got an up to date directx installation (7a is the latest)

3) you have not set up your virtual memory. I recommend that if you have your OS on drive 1, then set all your audio software to use drive 2 for temp and permanent storage. Including gigasampler. Also, fix your virtual memory at 256 and use the second drive for it.

4) In the Darla\'s directsound setup (right click my computer and go to properties, system, sound video cards, Darla, properties and find the directsound tick box. Disable directsound. Reboot.

5) You may have a termination problem with the drives. If you have 2, then the last one should be terminated, unless it has auto-terminate. If it\'s recent, like an IBM 7200 or a Quantum, it will auto terminate, but if it\'s older, maybe a cheetah or something, you may have to do this manually with the dips on the back.

6) when you go to run it for the first time, does it jump you straight into the system setup (audio outs, midi etc) or does it try to go straight into the gigasampler main window? If so, and you haven\'t had a chance to get into setup/config, then you have a bad install and you should uninstall it, delete the whole gs folder, go into the registry and delete all giga references, then reboot and reinstall fresh.

7) I know for a fact that your hardware shouldn\'t be causing a problem, it\'s pretty much the same setup as me. The Darla definitely works.

If you get no joy, you will have to get onto Joe or Dave directly, I\'ve heard of people getting a diagnostic tool from the techs at Nemesys and that\'s fixed their problems.

Bob

[This message has been edited by Bob Campbell (edited 02-22-2000).]

Re: Can\'t get Giga to work-installs OK but upon first start it tries to scan HD\'s (more).

You might try version 1.61 drivers if you don\'t already have them. (256 meg ram)

Terry

Thanks guys for your replys. I\'m not sure exactly what did it but it works now. I didn\'t just do one thing at a time, I made a bunch of changes so I\'m not sure which change did it for me. Here\'s what I did.

1) Reinstalled Windows 98 2nd edition
    2) installed Darla
    3) disabled the internal terminator on my
    system harddrive (address 0) and used an
    active terminator at the end of the cable
    run instead.
    4) installed GigaSampler v1.6
    5) Disabled DirectSound on Darla
    6) Ran Giga and it worked this time...

Brian

Go Back to forum