• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Superhero Main Titles

Share/Bookmark

New Superhero Main Titles

Hey everyone,

I've just finished a "Main Title" cue as an audition for an upcoming film project. I thought you might like to hear it.

Click Here for the MP3.

Click Here for the score.

The score is for flute, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, percussion, xylophone, piano, 1 1st violin, 1 2nd violin, 1 viola, 1 cello, 1 double bass.

It was written and recorded using Sibelius 5 and GPO trough the Kontakt Player 2. The reverb is a Studio convolution preset in Waves IR-1.

I hope you all like it. I would very much appreciate and feedback.

Have a good night,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: New Superhero Main Titles

Very nice, Jonny!

Can you tell us more about the film? Seems to be a film with fun, yes, no?

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi Gunther,

A little while back, Galen Huckins, made a post about the Portland Film Music Festival, where new scores would be written for several of the 1940's Superman short films. This is my audition piece for that.

I was having a really hard time with this. I think spent about a day sitting in front of my computer, fiddling with the keyboard, before I even put down a single note. Originally, I was going to score an action cue, but I couldn't. I couldn't stop hearing pre-existing themes for Superman. So, I decided that before I write any type of action, I must have a main theme. I worked for about 4 hours more coming up with the theme and about another 2 hours orchestrating it. Now that I have that done, I feel that I could bust out the score in a very short time frame.

Even though the score reads, Superman: Billion Dollar Limited, it could actually serve as the Main Titles for all of the films.

Galen said that he has more composers interested than movies to score. So, here's to hoping that he and the people in charge like my audition demo enough to give me the gig.

I'll keep you guys informed.

Thanks for listening, Gunther.

Your friend,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Jonny

I really like th opening to this. It gives it a sense of mystery and intrigue.

I thought about trying to come up with something for superman myself and nothing came to me. Composing for a character can be difficult.

Hopefully the ones looking at the auditions will give this the attention it deserves.
    '
    Good luck

Ron

Very different than what I typically think of as “superhero music” – I guess with all of these big budget films recently I tend to think of the over-the-top Hollywood type score. It does, however, have that kind of 40s serial sound to it, which is what I’m assuming you are aiming at. The main superhero theme has a little bit of a tongue-in-cheek feel to it, which could work very well depending on the film itself.

Overall I like this. Good luck!
    Trent P. McDonald

Thank you Jonny for the infos!

Cool, on friday I was listening to some old scores from superman films here: http://www.screenarchives.com/title_detail.cfm?ID=8874

So, for that I think you have done it very well! Great!

Good Luck!

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Jonny,

I agree with Trent - not what I was expecting. But I like it very much. The main melody is immediately memorable (always good to have that melody stuck in the listener's mind as well as his ear) and very representative of a heroic theme.

The choice of instrumentation is nice - small and intimate. Yet... not too small - it still allows the heroic theme to have some oomph to it.

Thanks for sharing your talents and techniques with us, Professor!

Jerry
    MacBook Pro Intel Core 2 Duo 2.5ghz 4GB Ram OSX 10.5.8
    Korg TritonLe & MAudio Oxygen 8
    T3, Logic 9, DP7, K2, GPO4, Strad, Gofriller, C&MB, Finale 2010

My Website!
    New Film Scores!
    Also, Ever think about having your very own personal documentary? See my new Website!
    http://www.mylegacyfilm.com

I imagine the old Superman serials were pretty low budget so I can see your music working well with it.

Good luck!

Of course the real superman for me will always be George Reeves.

Phil

I agree with Phil (fastlane) that George Reeves will always be the "real" Superman, and your music here fits that old TV serial feel perfectly. I really like that this isn't a cinema blockbuster extravaganza; rather it's much less orchestratively dense, much more musically lean and thought-provoking.
    If this was composed to the style specs set for the audition piece, then I applaud the filmmakers for their taste and you for fulfilling it so admirably. This is really well-done!

Danny

Not what I was expecting, either, Jonny; as others have
    noted, very much that old serial film sense and feel to
    the material -- very nice job on it!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast