• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: New Tune "Compassion"

Share/Bookmark

New Tune "Compassion"

Hello Everyone. I know that it has been awhile since I have been here.....A lot of reasons why and not any of them any good.....However this last week I have been working on a new composition. Originally I was not going to post it here but I figured since I used GPO Steinway Piano / GPO Xylophone / GPO Bass / Sonar Drum kit why not have a go at it......I have not been in a good place lately and there have been a lot of people who have shown me some super compassion as people which helped me get thru......So It was the very least I could do in return for them.........Any way Please take a listen (it's a hot mix) and I hope you enjoy it........
    Cliff

http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=52407
    three year old E machine
    GPO Sibelius Edition (now Liberated!)
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    2 Classic Guitar Degrees (or so I was informed)
    Not a lick of sense!

Re: New Tune "Compassion"

Cliff

This some real nice smooth jazz. At least, that is what I would call it.

The only suggesstion I might offer is that the piano sounds like it is way off in the corner and I am sitting right next to the percussion. Perhaps centering the piano a little might help to balance this off.

Glad to see you back and I hope your problems were not back related. I only drove for 15 years and my back is shot.

Well done

Ron

Ron
    Thanks for the reply. I know you are correct.....it is not the way I intended it........trust me.....
    funny thing about mixing....mixing any tune ...it seems that just when I think I got every thing just right I export to audio to MP3 or wave file and I end up with something completely different..........this amazes me........
    the piano part, drum part and xylophone parts I rewrote at least 3 times......to make them fit right.......when I was doing the mix the piano was way too far in the back but I could not bring it up any more or it would be clipping....I used envlopes and compression and eq and got it better but in the end I ended up bringing everything else down to where the Bass / Drums and piano were equal....the percussion I could just barley hear...it was in the background and now it is all in reverse.......I really do not know how to fix it even tho I know you are right...........but, for just a handful of instruments I worked about 5 hours on it.........Oh well......maybe tommorrow I will try again.........but it just amazes me how backward everything came out!!!!!!
    but I do welcome your comments and I will try again........
    as far as the problems go....not a back issue this time.........health issue that took me by surprise.......I still may need surgery......don't know just yet.......
    any way Ron
    Thank you for listening and thank you for your kind comments......
    Cliff
    P.S. I restrained from calling it a jazz piece since there are some much better composers for that style on this board........but it was what I felt as welll............the most amazing thing is that this was my very first composition / try at this style........!!!!! could of knocked me over with a feather.....
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

OK.........I've reworked the piece. I am sure that the first link is broken.
    I have tried to follow Ron's advice because it was sound in principal.
    I have redone all the vol.....the balancing betweeen the instrumentation......added different reverbs and brought the piano in towards the center by 15%....I am stillnot happy with the piano part but it is the best I can do........any way comments are welcome...

Here is the new link..........
    http://www.mp3unsigned.com/showmp3.asp?mp3id=52407

Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Well, On my studio monitors it sounds very nice, very nice indeed!

The piece is a nice little jazz conversation between piano and vibes. Charley Brown would be a happy camper! (Just teasing)

It does have that type of light jazz feel though.

Usually the lead instruments are placed center or near center and then the others are move out from there. At least that is my impression when I listen to recordings. I toy with the stereo separation myself and it usually gets things out of balance. I was told to always check mixes in at least 3 different places, e.g. your studio, a pair of headphones and a cheap speaker system (like a car stereo or boom box [do they still make those?]).

If it sounds good on the worst system (or cheapest) than it will probably sound good anywhere!

Anyway, I really enjoyed the piece and I am glad you posted it for our ears to enjoy!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Rich
    Thank you for your kind words of encouragement.....It's what I really need right now.........I spent another 4 hours on this mixing thing this morning just to get it as close as I could........I understand what you mean about the studio monitors.....it sounds fantastic on mine too.but I did check it in my mp3 player and my headphones and they all sound pretty close......at least close enough to where I do not want to touch it anymore.......as far as the seperation goes I am sure you are correct because I do not know.......I did two things..........first I closed my eyes and just placed the instruments in there own space because...........two....I always have admired Steely Dan's instrument seperation........no matter what tune they do you can always hear each instrument clear as day,,,,,,,it is always a very clean recording........so I did not follow standard proceedure.......sorry................but I am thankful that you enjoyed it.........thanks for listening
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

It's definitely smooth jazz with a latin twist.

I'll take two, one for me and one for the woman over at the corner table.

Maybe she'll want to dance.

You did fine with this.

Phil

FastLane
    Thank you very much for your kind comments.............I really appreciate them......Yeah for some reason I just love that latin percussion..don't really know what it is about them but I just love em....and.....It just seemed to fit.........I had to restrain myself from sticking in a guitar (since that is my instrument of choice).......I'm gladto see you'll have some one to dance with............It just makes it that much more sweeter..........
    Thank you again
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Hi Cliff,

Especially for a first go at this style, this is very well conceived and executed. The mixing and audio issues that you've been dealing with are relatively insignificant, and your music shines nonetheless. Nice 6/8 feel to this, almost a light jazz shuffle.

Thanks for posting this! I definitely enjoyed listening.

Danny

Danny
    thank you too for you kind comments..........
    At least with the audio issues I am getting better...I can hear it with each new piece.........but thee are times like with this one that just give me fits...........But I am sure I am not alone in this..........everyone goes thru it..........as far as the music goes, like they say 90% persperation and 10% insperation.........and that is just about the size of it................

Again
    Thank you SIr.......I hope you have a wonderful day
    Cliff
    three year old E machine
    GPO Personal Orchestra
    GPO Jazz Band
    Not a lick of sense!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast