• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Does Henry Brant use GigaStudio?

Share/Bookmark
    PatS

Does Henry Brant use GigaStudio?

Who cares? The guy just won a Pulitzer. And where does he live? Say it with me people: Santa [now you say \"Santa\"] Barbara [\"Barbara\"]. And where does PatS live? That\'s right, girls and boys: The town where a 3-bedroom rental will cost you $2,600 per month.

Seriously, if you like spatial music, check out Brant\'s work. He makes Ives look like an uptight theory teacher who believes in studying and emulating nothing but J.S. Bach\'s chorale harmonizations (Ives\' 4th Symphony notwithstanding).

For more information, check out http://www.pulitzer.org/year/2002/music/.

Cheers,

Pat

[This message has been edited by PatS (edited 04-09-2002).]

Re: Does Henry Brant use GigaStudio?

Yeah pat. I saw this in the news yesterday and was hoping you wouldn\'t pick up on it. I\'d hate to let it get to your head. We\'re never gonna hear the end of it form you or how great santa barbara is...

May i just point out that the SFO played his winning work...a REAL orchestra...NOT the SBSO!!!!!!

PatS

We have an orchestra? Maybe that explains the noise I\'ve heard coming from the Arlington Theater just across the street.

I haven\'t been to Davies since I heard Nagano direct the West Coast premiere of Messiaen\'s Des canyons aux étoiles (From the Canyon to the Stars; I had to look up the French, BTW, so no applause). His wife, Yvonne, was at the piano, and he stationed himself in the front-left balcony with a 3\'x2\' score. My dad met him at the party after the concert, while I slept in the car. Thoughts about getting a tatoo on my forehead that said \"Doofus\" quickly sprang to mind.
    Pat

$2,600 for a 3 bedroom in SB?...WHAT A STEAL!!!! Pat have you ever gone to a Cynergy show up there in SB? its a small super indie lo-fi multimedia get together that happens every 10 months or so..they show art, have DJ\'s and bands, and end the night showing local short films (usually from local talent from the Brooks Institute) a good time for all...I scored a short movie called Revenger that showed last summer at one of those events.

See ya on Stearn\'s Warf...Ill be the guy fighting off the attacking one legged pelican that lives there.

Pat...pat

A score...on a front left balcony for all the audience to see...

Do i have to get permission from Papa Chalk to start a flame war about Messaien?

I am biting my tongue so hard..

but alas...the Canadian or English censor board \'s prevent me from leaving the house...

=)

PatS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Christopher Drake:
    $2,600 for a 3 bedroom in SB?...WHAT A STEAL!!!! Pat have you ever gone to a Cynergy show up there in SB? its a small super indie lo-fi multimedia get together that happens every 10 months or so..they show art, have DJ\'s and bands, and end the night showing local short films (usually from local talent from the Brooks Institute) a good time for all...I scored a short movie called Revenger that showed last summer at one of those events.

See ya on Stearn\'s Warf...Ill be the guy fighting off the attacking one legged pelican that lives there.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do you know Dave Ciaccio? He used to work here at Greenhills Software. My understanding is that he now spearheads Cynergy. I\'ll have to check it out. Alas, I was too busy to attend the last gathering. Will you be at the next event? I\'ll BE the one-legged pelican.

Pat

Sau, isnt there a soundstage in SB? OR some super community center/college recording center??

Attempting to give the impression of several ensembles or even orchestras in different locations using Gigastudio etc is an awesome and quite delicious thought now that surround sound is becoming more financially feasible for the project studio. I\'m half-tempted to pen a work.

I remember seeing Rattle, Dan Harding and somebody whose name eludes me conducting a Stockhausen work (the name of which also eludes me) at the Birmingham concert hall a few years back. It was a heady mixture of daring, tantalizing and awesome and yet lacking in any real punch or shape when the work had finished.

I\'ve often dreamt about some great Brunel visionary constructing a huge concert hall some time in the future in which orchestras and ensembles don\'t just play around and above the listeners but also underneath, the audience suspended in mid air to gather the full effect. I can\'t see my wife going for it with her fear of heights........

Pat...SB sure is a small town! Dave is a good friend of mine...who knows, I may have even met you before! I always crash at his place when Im in town...He\'s currently working as an editor, as a matter of fact, I think he just cut a demo reel of his stuff to some music I did...every time I go to SB the crew always hooks up at the Firebird...we should meet up some time over there...beer on me.. one legged pelican not required.

PatS

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by composer22:
    Pat...pat

A score...on a front left balcony for all the audience to see...

Do i have to get permission from Papa Chalk to start a flame war about Messaien?

I am biting my tongue so hard..

but alas...the Canadian or English censor board \'s prevent me from leaving the house...

=)
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sadly, the hall was probably at 30% capacity. Most of those who were there didn\'t notice the old guy until he made his way to the stage. Of course, a small audience meant a nice selection of seats for us.

So, what do you want to torch? The \"Modes of Limited Transportation\" or those \"Non-refundable Rhythms\"? (Sorry, bad theory-nerd humor; it should be \"Modes of Limited Transposition\" and \"Non-retrogradable Rhythms.\") What about those ancient Greek rhythms and the Hindu deci-talas? Heard one too many bird songs? I\'ll bet it\'s the Ondes Martenot; his Turangalila Symphony always gets the dogs howling in my neighborhood, assuming I can make it through all ten movements. Let\'s see: that leaves Catholic symbolism and the Tristan myth. Oops! I almost forgot about his synaesthesia. I know there\'s something else. \"cd /; rm -rf *\"? Nope, that\'s not it.

BTW, was your use of the word \"\'s\" an allusion to Messiaen\'s incarceration at a POW camp? Certainly you weren\'t referring to anyone here, nicht wahr?

Peace!

Pat

[This message has been edited by PatS (edited 04-10-2002).]

Go Back to forum