• Register
  • Help

Topic: White Chocolate Butterflies

Share/Bookmark

White Chocolate Butterflies

This piece is based on the piano improv of Ron (rolifer) (see "Piano Piece" posted 02-17-2008 ), with the original composer's permission. The story started on another site when I commented that the fine ideas in the improv might work well for a jazz combo. Ron suggested I have a try and posted the midi which I read into Finale.

The piano improv digressed into chromatic variations in the middle which I have deleted to keep it on the white keys, and to keep the piece to a reasonable length. A few changes were made to the piano part, some accidentals were removed in the closing section, but not many changes although going from midi to a Finale mus file can produce a few oddities. I added string bass, flute and clarinet parts to augment the original piano part.

On the title: all the notes in all parts lie on the white keys of the piano, hence "white" and "butterfly" because the piano part flits about and the piece is generally delicate and airy. When I finished the opening section, I thought of making a rondo - which turned out to be an ABACAD form. The A section seemed to have the feel of chocolate - one chocolate from the box is never enough. I added a light swing to the tempo as the string bass line seemed a bit lifeless with no swing.

The instruments are all GPO. The reverb is the K2 player's Recital Hall 2 setting with dry at +6db and wet at -10.3 dB. I wanted a crisp no-pedal jazz touch for the piano.

It was a risky experiment to try but once I got going the piece seemed to write itself over just a couple of days. I'm not sure what I was expecting to get when I started but I am quite happy with the result.

The mp3 is here

I'm looking forward to some comments.

Re: White Chocolate Butterflies

This is the first time that anyone has taken any of my music and added to it, (other than jam sessions) and I am very curious as to what everyone thinks of this as well.

I have considered adding instruments to this since I first did it, but nothing has came to mind of what to do yet.

I am very happy with Herb's accompaniment aned love the bass line in it.

I said at the other site that I never would have recognized this as something I helped to create, but then I rarely listen when I am doing improv.

Herb

Well done

Ron

That was very nice. The flute and bass really gave it a different dimension.

It sounds pretty natural and not forced or awkward.

I think it was a successful experiment.

Phil

Thanks Ron and Phil.

There is a certain uniqueness to much of Ron's composing - this particular improv really resonated with me so it was fun to add my own touches to it.

Herb

A most interesting and productive collaboration!

The bass line and winds do add depth and color to the
    work.

Perhaps you two should get together more often!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum