• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Prokofiev Wannabe

Share/Bookmark

Prokofiev Wannabe

Ever since I heard Prokofiev's 3rd Piano Concerto, I have sought out and purchased all of his music that I have been able to find. Like all geniuses, his doesn't always get it right, but when he does, his music is masterful.

Everytime I listen to a piece of his I want to compose something. I don't always get the chance, but this time I did.

I know that this is nowhere near as good as his creations, but he did inspire this.

Here it is

http://www.box.net/shared/sfrbbqegoo

Here is the score (Iknow it needs work and I am fixing it up now).

http://www.box.net/shared/k2jju8u0w8

This was composed in Sibelius with the midi taken into Sonar and rendered with the GPO Steinway.

I am curious about the mix as well as the material itself, so any comments/suggestions are appreciated.

Ron

Re: Prokofiev Wannabe

Boy, that was quite a piano tour de force. It sounds like great execution. I would like to hear that one using the Garritan Steinway.

I'm not real familiar with his music but you probably put your spin on this one.

It was an exciting piece.

My Art Vista Virtual Grand Piano is nice but when you play it as a stand alone it still chokes on too many suspended notes. But now it locks up and I have to force quit the Kontakt player on my Mac and reload it.

Phil

Phil

Sergei Prokofiev has been by far the greatest influence on my music. He is my favorite composer followed by Beethoven. In my humble opinion, his 3rd and 1st Piano concertos are the best piano concertos ever composed and are a must listen. Neo-Classical music at its best!!!

The GPO Steinway and the JABB Steinway are the only pianos I have, but I also would love to hear this on the new one.

Thanks for the listen

Ron

Makes me feel like a beginner!

Richard

Wow, Ron!
    Absolutely outstanding!!!!!
    I have been fortunate enough to have played some Prokofiev - excerpts from Romeo & Juliet and one of the Violin Concertos (no, I wasn't the soloist) and I think we looked at a Piano Concerto but the conductor decided against it early on in rehearsals. Also, the 5th Symphony is one of my all time favorites, although I haven't actually played it. (I don't care for his Classical Symphony, though).

Just think of what he could have done if he wasn't muzzled by the Communists, like so many of their great artists had to endure!

Nothing negative or even constructive from me. It was terrific!

Frank
    Frank Newman - Houston, Texas, USA, Earth, Milky Way (for our 'extended' viewership)
    Vista Ult SP2, i7 chipset, 12Gb, 500Gb (int) + 1 & 1.5Tb ext., E-MU 1820, Sonar 8.5PE, VSampler, CME UF5, AcousModules (for 3D playback), GPO/JBB/CMB

Richard

Hopefully you read the thread where I stated I am a fan of your music, so this comes as an unexpected yet welcome bit of praise. I am humbled by your generous remark.

Thank you sir!!

Frank

I just cannot fathom having a government threatening someone with death if he refuses to play by their rules in music. To have to endure this and yet still come up with the masterpieces he created is beyond me.

I read somewhere that he composed his Classical Symphony just to show that he was capable of doing one. His Violin Concertos are great and its neat that you got to participate in at least one of them.

I really appreciate the Wow. That makes my day!!

I should add here that I have listened to your Bach Adagio a number of times and have yet to comment, just because I wasn't sure yet which version I would say I liked better. I am leaning towards the Orchestral but will post there soon, once I am positive.

Thanks again Guys!

Ron

It is easy to see why Prokoviev would be a favorite of yours: you both share an interest in sharp, angular melodies that are - for the most part - tonal. Add the strong virtuosic element ( your keyboard music is hard!), and the comparison gets even closer. This is a very nice homage to the master. My only "criticism" is that there is a lot of fine material here that could be developed into a longer composition.

One small note of irony: Prokoviev died in 1953 the same day as Stalin. Guess who barely got noticed in the press...

All the best.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Quote Originally Posted by rpearl View Post
    It is easy to see why Prokoviev would be a favorite of yours: you both share an interest in sharp, angular melodies that are - for the most part - tonal. Add the strong virtuosic element ( your keyboard music is hard!), and the comparison gets even closer. This is a very nice homage to the master. My only "criticism" is that there is a lot of fine material here that could be developed into a longer composition.

One small note of irony: Prokoviev died in 1953 the same day as Stalin. Guess who barely got noticed in the press...

All the best.
    Ron

I have watched guys play Prokofiev's muisc on youtube and often times the pianists fingers are just a blur. I have read that most people that play his stuff also have to go slower than he did, just because Prokofiev was such an expert on the piano.

I really think that if I start today and spend 8 hours a day, 6 days a week practicing this piece, in 10 years I would be able to play it.

I agree that I should spend some time developing the two main themes in this a little more. I introduce the second theme and go away from it way too quick.

Thanks for the listen and the remarks. It sounds as if you are also a fan of Prokofiev.

Ron

Wow Ron!

This is brilliant stuff!

show me the score please! Let me help you! Let me feedback you on the score, for you to make a great score! This is a fine concert hall piece that any pianist would love to play. I can attempt and find some pianists who would be interested in playing it!

Come on! you know you want to!

I don't care for the production one bit in this case (which is a tad mechanical), since I find that this is a fine concert hall piece, that deserves a live performance!

It also shows the humourous side of yourself as well

Fine writing, fascinating.
    JohnO

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast