• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Dry orchestral libraries...

Share/Bookmark

Dry orchestral libraries...

I am looking for advice about dry orchestral sounds that sound musical (performed by great musicians), are well recorded, extremely playable, and as affordable as possible. What libraries, if any, come to mind? They don't need to be large in size. Preferably sample libraries, but VIs would be OK too. I don't need ambience or "performances", but the basic articulations are definitely needed, and some extras like trills in the woodwinds, maybe some french horn "swoops" etc. The most critical part is that they are recorded dry, and are performed well by the musicians.

Re: Dry orchestral libraries...

Dry, you say?

Would the silent stage of the Vienna Symphonic Collection suffice?

For your purposes check out their SE collection. A little bit of everything

Kirk Hunter's Kontakt 2 Emerald library and GPO might also offer you options, as they too are recorded on the dry side.

Best,
    Reegs

Vienna Symphonic will be among your driest and expertly performed. On the pricey side, but worth it. You'll need to add in a decent reverb to get them to sound "real".

East-West QL Symphonic Platinum isn't bad if you use the "close" mikes. (EWQLSO Platinum gives you three mikes for each: close, conductor, and surround.) Personally, I use EWQLSO over VSL more & more simply because they sound better to my ears. Orchestral music is rarely performed in a dead/dry environment, and adding reverb back in to a totally dead environment sounds a little processed to me.

I also like Kirk Hunter's Diamond collection. It is a great value for the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbitroo View Post
    Vienna Symphonic will be among your driest and expertly performed. On the pricey side, but worth it. You'll need to add in a decent reverb to get them to sound "real".

East-West QL Symphonic Platinum isn't bad if you use the "close" mikes. (EWQLSO Platinum gives you three mikes for each: close, conductor, and surround.) Personally, I use EWQLSO over VSL more & more simply because they sound better to my ears. Orchestral music is rarely performed in a dead/dry environment, and adding reverb back in to a totally dead environment sounds a little processed to me.

I also like Kirk Hunter's Diamond collection. It is a great value for the money.
    I totally agree with you that VSL sounds a bit processed when compared to EWQLSO Plat., which has three mic positions to blend, EW just sounds more natural/organic/warm to my ears, more like what a real orchestra would sound playing in a concert hall.

Orchestral acoustic instruments need the ambiance of a space to sound very good, and that is something IMHO artificial reverb can help with, but there will still be something missing, that is what I seem to hear when I listen to the very dry sound being processed via Altiverb, or other IR based reverbs to simulate the spacial component of the sound.

This maybe one of the important reasons I think the VSL team has been working hard on releasing the (MIR) Reverb system, they most likely acknowledge the need for more improvements in this area of the VSL overall sound/acoustics/ambiance processing needs to achieve a higher degree of natural ambiance.

Quote Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post
    I totally agree with you that VSL sounds a bit processed when compared to EWQLSO Plat., which has three mic positions to blend, EW just sounds more natural/organic/warm to my ears, more like what a real orchestra would sound playing in a concert hall.
    Actually, EW sounds nothing like a Concert Hall. Record one instrument, playing one note when the hall is empty and the sound is the same, but anything other than that, and it starts to fall over. It isn't any accident that there are not a huge number of "classical" demos on the EW site. It really only works when you want big and loud.

VSL can be used for anything, with good engineering skills. I agree that without a good reverb it doesn't work well, and that's why many composers with less skill in the engineering department fail badly when they try to use it. However, in my experience there is no better library out there that can accommodate so many styles, seatings, ensembles and acoustics.

D

For woodwinds and French Horn you should take a look at Westgate Studios Modular Series. It is about as dry as VSL and a lot less pricy.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge View Post
    For woodwinds and French Horn you should take a look at Westgate Studios Modular Series. It is about as dry as VSL and a lot less pricy.
    But not as good, IMO.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    But not as good, IMO.

D
    Daryl, are you basing that on user experience or demo sounds?

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01 View Post
    Daryl, are you basing that on user experience or demo sounds?
    Demos. I have no need to spend money on these products, although I do always check out new ones, as nothing I have is perfect.

D

Wink Re: Dry orchestral libraries...

Quote Originally Posted by muziksculp View Post

Orchestral acoustic instruments need the ambiance of a space to sound very good, and that is something IMHO artificial reverb can help with, but there will still be something missing, that is what I seem to hear when I listen to the very dry sound being processed via Altiverb, or other IR based reverbs to simulate the spacial component of the sound.

This maybe one of the important reasons I think the VSL team has been working hard on releasing the (MIR) Reverb system, they most likely acknowledge the need for more improvements in this area of the VSL overall sound/acoustics/ambiance processing needs to achieve a higher degree of natural ambiance.
    If you use the EWQLSO Platinum in Kontakt-Sampler, you can edit the release time and the release samples and can let this library sound many much more dryer than the original, but the human feeling is also inside again!

That is the reason why I like EWQLSO, Gary Garritan`s, Kirk Hunter`s and Peter Siedlaczek`s libs and what I am missing in the VSL libs.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum