• Register
  • Help

Topic: spectrum's trade show setup - How does it work in detail?

Share/Bookmark

spectrum's trade show setup - How does it work in detail?

Hello board,

I don't know if it's been discussed here before, but it would very interesting for me to learn more about spectrum's (Mr. Eric Persing's) trade show setup he used at for example NAMM in the last years to demonstrate Spectrasonics virtual instruments and how this setup works in detail.

Since I also own a rusty old Roland A-50 MIDI KEYBOARD CONTROLLER beside other controllers, I wonder if there are some hints or tricks to use the Spectrasonics Plug-ins more efficiently (I use them all three) regarding live playability (especially Stylus RMX), or in a way that I don't know already.

Or Eric, could you possibly give some first hand information?

Thanks in advance for your feedback!

Re: spectrum's trade show setup - How does it work in detail?

Hi bossanova,

I don't know Spectrum's trade show setup...he might give you the answer to that himself.

From your post I assume you are looking for more realtime and hands-on control. Here's what I did for Atmosphere and Trilogy.

Since I have a Nord Modular Rack in the studio, I made two empty patches with the most common midi cc assigned to the Modular's knobs. In that way I am able to control for instance the filters, lfo's and envelopes.

RMX is way easier. Any (hardware) knob can be assigned to any parameter in RMX by using the MIDI LEARN function in RMX. In this case I sometimes use any of the other controller surfaces available (M-Audio Trigger Finger or Virus Kb).

More info on MIDI LEARN you can find on the Spectrasonics website. They even made a tutorial video on the subject.

Hope this helps.

Robin.

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Reality Freak View Post
    Hi bossanova,

I don't know Spectrum's trade show setup...he might give you the answer to that himself.
    Thanks for your answer, Robin. Of course I've already read the manuals, so I actually know the basics about MIDI Learn or CC assignments. In the past I simply saw a few trade show demos of Spectrasonics available online and was very impressed about the lightning fast switching, editing and live performing. Maybe it's nothing really special, just years of practice and perfect preparation, who knows.

But as you see, spectrum hasn't answered yet. I guess he's either busy developing Omnisphere or I've unintentionally asked for a revelation of important company secrets :-).

On top of the A-50 Eric was using a Korg Microkontrol in the last couple of years.
    The MK has programmable knobs and sliders and you can even give each one a unique name because theres a display over each knob/fader.

Hans

Go Back to forum