• Register
  • Help

Topic: Anybody have the 3D Pipe Organ?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody have the 3D Pipe Organ?

Looking for advice on which organ sampler to purchase. This looks to be the top of the line right now. Can anyone compare this to other sampled organs out there? I\'d love to get some feedback before I invest four hundred dollars. Thanks.

John

Re: Anybody have the 3D Pipe Organ?

Hi,

I have two pipe organ libraries, unfortunately 3D pipes isn\'t among them. The two I have are Peter Ewers Symphonic Organ and the Post Organ Toolkit (1rst edition). I\'ll give you my thoughts on those.

If you\'re looking for a Baroque sound the Post Organ Toolkit has much to like. I haven\'t found the Concertgebouw samples as useful.

If you want the Romantic Organ Tutti to die for Peter Ewers is the one to get. Unfortunately that\'s about all you get, but Oh my God is it good. There are release samples so each note gets 6 seconds of reverb.

Dunno if that helps, but it\'s what I can offer. I\'m still looking for a library that can play Franck well.

Steve http://www.mp3.com/stevechandler
    aka Ettienne http://www.mp3.com/ettiene

I just got 3D Pipes a few days ago and I am really glad to have it. In my view it is the best all-round sampled pipe organ currently available. I do not have Post Organ Toolkit, so I cannot compare it to that, but I do have three other pipe-organ sound libraries (Univers Sons/JBF Church Organs, Propeller Island Church Organ, and Peter Ewer\'s Symphonic Organ).

The release samples in 3D Pipes give a good feeling of the acoustic space of the instrument, as well as the distinctive key-off sounds of the pipes. I have to say however that these key-release sounds strike me as exaggerated in some of presets (especially the pedal tutti). I have started doing a bit of tweaking in the Giga Editor to correct this. Another problem is the looping in a few of the samples. One or two of them click, while others undulate around the loop point. Furthermore, there is one preset, the Rohrflute+Cornet, which comes entirely unlooped! You cannot play sustained notes on that one. Nevertheless, the overall sound is really good. The variety of stops and stop combinations is fairly comprehensive, covering most of the basic registration needs of organ music. The tuttis are fairly bright, not thick sounding, and suitable for Baroque music. You also get luscious string celeste and orchestral reed stops for the Romantic repertoir (no clarinet stop though).

I got Peter Ewer\'s Symphonic organ at the same time as 3DP. However, I do not like it. Like 3DP it has release samples, but they do not sound nearly as convincing to me. There seems to be a mismatch between main samples and the release samples. The main samples sound very \"close-up\", while the release samples are just a really distant wash of reverb. You do not get the sense of being in the same space as the instrument like 3DP.

The other two organ sound libraries I have are much older ones (converted from Akai-format disks). I still like Studio JBF\'s Church Organs. It is a two-disc set with one symphonic Cavaille-Coll instrument and one Baroque French organ. The Baroque instrument is really nice, some 40 or so presets, but no release samples.

I am thinking of getting Post\'s positiv and theatre organ sound libraries next.

In conclusion, my recommendation is 3DP for a general all-purpose pipe organ.

------------------
    David

I forgot to mention that you can get 3D Pipes from Jack\'s Music Store for $275.
    http://www.jacksmusicstore.com/computerprod.html

------------------
    David

Hi DCB,
    Thanks for the kind words and
    Sorry for the looping snafu and thanks for finding it. I don\'t have an explanation (some of the Rohrfloete samples are used solo also and loop there fine) but I fixed it. I can email a RAR of the looped patch. Please contact me: info@vrsound.com

I tried to match the reverb response as closely as I could to the original recordings. That hall at Baylor has a bit of a low end build so the big ones are BIG. But this is a relatively easy fix by simply turning down the release samples or shortening the decay 2 time.

Ticks if found: can be fixed by adjusting the loop by 1 sample up or down.

I have not had any feedback or user calls on 3D pipes. I really welcome this thread!!

franZ

Thanks for all the great info. I was wondering how control of the organ sounds are handled on a regular digital piano (I have a roland rd-500). Can you only change the stops from the computer? Is it easy to designate a particular pedal for swell or other functions? I do not yet own a sampled organ and I want to get as much info on them as possible. How easy/hard is the 3d pipe organ to use. By the way, thanks a lot for the info on how to get it cheaper. You have made me and my visa card very happy.

John

I have been playing sampled organs for about two years now. I started off with Akai-format sound libraries converted on a Korg Triton. This worked quite well, but there was always the memory limitation. One year ago I switched to GigaStudio.

As for stop-changing, I usually simply load each sample preset into a separate MIDI Chanel and switch chanels on my controller whenever I want to \"change the stops\". Other approaches have occurred to me, but I have not implemented them yet. In particular, I thought it would be useful to create a keyswitch giga file allowing you to change stops simply by pressing a key. This would be especially good if you have a piano keyboard controller which has a much longer range than a standard organ manual leaving plenty of unused keys for sample switching. (By the way, Franz\'s 3D Pipes uses some of the out-of-range keys to trigger the sampled blower noise.)

In my view, 3DP is no harder or easier to use than any of the other available sampled pipe organs.

The question of a swell pedal is an interesting one. I think it would be difficult to accurately reproduce the effect of a pipe organ swell pedal on a sampler. Of course, you could simply set up a MIDI pedal to control expression, but that only changes the volume whereas on a pipe organ the swell affects the timbre too. A pedal set to control a low-pass filter would get much closer to the real effect of a swell pedal. However, as far as I know, no pipe organ sample developer has yet incorporated this feature into their programming. I am sure it is entirely feasible though. Alternatively, samples could actually be recorded with the swell pedal at several different settings (in the same way that other instruments are sampled with different velocity layers), but then of course you would not get the smooth continuous control that a swell pedal provides.

------------------
    David

I\'m thinking about doing a mockup with orchestra, chior, and pipe organ. Does 3d pipes have that really loud, big sound that makes you want to stand at attention? Sorry I\'m not that fimular with the instrument, and I don\'t know the names of the stops.

Thanks
    Russ

Have you heard the mp3 demo of 3D Pipes on the vrsound website? http://www.vrsound.com

Thanks DCB for the link!!

Russ

Go Back to forum