• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: A Slight pondering ...

Share/Bookmark

Question A Slight pondering ...

Do you feel that your music or music in general keeps you young? By young, I not only mean at heart but also looks?

Lately, I'm feeling a might bit older and I suspect it has something to do with not playing me instrument since last June. Ya think?

I'm wondering just how you feel and if you feel music has an influence on the human body, mind, spirit, and a ham samitch with mustard and a cup o joe?

As I ponder ............

If you dunt want to answer, it's OK ... my therapist thinks I need to ... well ... let's just say I yams what I yams.
    Styxx

Re: A Slight pondering ...

For watt ezz worth, here's an article I bimped into on the way to the forum.

Singing in a choir can keep you young, researcher says
    Benefits found to be similar to those of general exercise

Misty HarrisCanWest News Service
    Saturday, January 05, 2008

Though Brahms and Beethoven aren't what Richard Simmons had in mind with Sweatin' to the Oldies, new research suggests the composers' choral work might be just what your body wants.
    According to Victoria Meredith, a University of Western Ontario professor who used the school's adult choirs as a "live research lab," participation in choral music leads to increased respiratory function, improved overall health, a heightened immune system and improved brain function.
    Meredith also concludes that performing in a choir "can keep you younger and healthier for longer," pointing to similar studies that found people who sing on a regular basis require fewer doctors' visits, are less prone to falls, don't need as much medication, and are less likely to be depressed.
    Put simply, group singalongs may offer the benefits of exercise without the humiliation of Spandex.
    "Just as in general physical exercise, optimal results are seen when a singer exercises their vocal muscles at least three times a week for at least 20 minutes at a time," says Meredith, who has worked with the Canadian Centre for Aging and Activity.
    "A heavy workout one day is usually best followed by either a light workout or vocal rest the following day."
    Meredith's research with four choirs, whose members varied in age from 18 to 84, spanned the last two years. Her investigation looked at everything from breath control and vocal range to anecdotal information such as whether or not the choristers felt happier or more aware of their bodies when they performed.
    "Individual participant responses included such comments as: 'Singing keeps my mind more agile,' 'Singing increases the amount of joy in my life' (and) 'My breathing is better -- even after lung surgery,'" says Meredith, noting that the observations align closely with those of George Washington University's three-year study on the impact of professionally conducted cultural programs on older adults.
    Though Meredith remarks that many of the documented benefits of singing are "of a psychological nature, related to being part of a group with shared goals," researchers have also discovered compelling evidence for physical advantages. The disease-fighting protein (sIg A), for example, was found to increase by 150 per cent during choir rehearsals and 240 per cent during performances.
    John McMillan, an Edmonton musician and choir director, may be living proof of the power of song. Since he began performing choral music 13 years ago, McMillan says he gets sick less often, has more energy, and feels generally happier.
    "When (a show) goes well and you feel like you've positively affected other people, it affects you, too," says McMillan, 28.
    "I feel rejuvenated after a performance -- kind of like my soul has been revitalized."

© The Edmonton Journal 2008
    So, start singing!
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    So, start singing!

"LA LA LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!" -Babe the Pig, from the movie Babe
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Do you feel that your music or music in general keeps you young? By young, I not only mean at heart but also looks?
    Aha, now I know why the most famous composers died too soon? It was the music!!!!

Raymond

I think it does. Look at people who march Senior Corps, there was a contra player who was well up into his sixties, and did everything just as well as the younger people. So, I do think playing an instrument keeps you younger, except for those random occasions when someone has a heart attack on the field and dies. Talk about aging out.....
    Anthony Abruscato

"There are only two types of music: Love Songs and Pirate Music"

HP Pavillion dv6171cl w/ Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit, 2 GB Ram, 250 GB 5200 RPM HD + an external 300 GB HD. GPO, JABB, CAMB, Sibelius 5.1, Finale 2008a, and a demo copy of FL studio.

All I know is I stopped playing me drums and all me joints started to hurt.

Now where did Dorothy put that oil can?

PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN! oh. ....
    Styxx

Wink Re: A Slight pondering ...

er...maybe depends on the instrument you're playing.

tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    What head?
    Styxx

Lately, I'm feeling a might bit older and I suspect it has something to do with not playing me instrument since last June. Ya think?

I'm wondering just how you feel and if you feel music has an influence on the human body, mind, spirit, and a ham samitch with mustard and a cup o joe?

As I ponder ............

If you dunt want to answer, it's OK ... my therapist thinks I need to ... well ... let's just say I yams what I yams.
    Well, firstly, anything you do regularly with enthusiasm, and which requires some activity and heavy breathing will have a similar effect, which means the glow of good health. Time for me to get back to my cornet & flugel horn again!

Secondly: why have you not played your instrument for so long? Get your tocus in focus or lose it!!!!

Lastly: as my mother told me many times, starting about seventy years ago, you can't stop the aging of your body, but you can keep your mind profitably busy. That will go a long ways toward slowing down senile decay.

Richard

Go Back to forum