• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: upgrade from XP 32 to XP 64 query

Share/Bookmark

upgrade from XP 32 to XP 64 query

I'd like to install WXP 64 bit on my current computer (Core 2 duo 2.13) which has WXP professional.

Should I purchase an upgrade or should I get an entire new WXP program and create a dual boot system?

This would be for audio purposes only. I would like to load more samples into ram (and be ready for 64 bit applications when they arrive).

Does it matter which version I get: home or professional?

Please avail me of any pitfalls with respect to this plan.

Thanks.

Marko

Re: upgrade from XP 32 to XP 64 query

I would like to do exactly the same but the problem is, you have to buy the 'new' XP, there's no upgrade, so you have to pay the whole price again I think that's just ridiculous so I'm waiting with the jump to 64bit until Vista is really stable and supported. Well, maybe even until the new Windows "Seven" (this is its current codename), which will be in 64 bit version only, AFAIK...
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View my profile at NorthernSounds.net
    and visit my homesite: www.henrykiwan.com

I believe that there is only one version for 64 bit - Windows XP Pro. There is no home edition.

Do you have enough free space on your system drive to create another partition. Then you can install x64 version on another partition and keep your older x86 version. When you boot, then you pick which partition to use. Some plugins do not work with the x64 version which is why I still use both versions on my system.

Jim

I too use a dual boot solution... it works great. My XP64 partition is far leaner than my XP32 one, which is for general internet usage, chatting, and multitasking.
    Zircon Studios - Original music for media, electronica, sound design, and synthesis.

Thanks Iwanatsu.

Thanks Jim.

Thanks Andrew.

I may go the dual boot way.

Can you recommend a vendor for buying a copy of XP 64?

Marko

You could try Newegg.com. I only see OEM versions available so you may have to buy some hardware at the same time.

Jim

You can buy it direct from MS. You download the trial version and it will ask you if you want to purchase it.

OEMs I think are only limited to one install ever. Research before you buy.

kitecrazy,

Thanks. If I download the trail version and install it, does it replace my current Wxp 32 bit or will I have the option of installing XP 64 as a separate OS (so I have a dual boot sytem)?

Marko

One option that I've considered is buying a copy of XP64 and just holding on to it until it's time to build a new machine.

I've considered this because I've read (although I haven't seen specific data) that Vista performance is inferior to XP performance as far as heavy-duty music work is concerned...

...plus, of course, in a few months MS will no longer sell XP.

My concern is that XP64 will be a dead-end in terms of no new/updated drivers, possible incompatibility with new hardware, and such... and I wonder whether it pays to live with Vista (bugs, bloat and all) just to ensure (?) forward-compatibility...

— alanb

http://alanb.org

http://www.myspace.com/arsperspicuus

Quote Originally Posted by alanb View Post
    My concern is that XP64 will be a dead-end in terms of no new/updated drivers, possible incompatibility with new hardware, and such...
    My thoughts exactly. Already my present video card supports XP 32 and Vista 32/64, but not XP 64. Plus if you own any NI products such as Kontakt 3, Akoustik or Kore 2 you will be lucky if you'll ever see any XP 64 support.

Let's face it: XP 64 is Yesterday and Vista 64 is Tomorrow. Like it or not.

Go Back to forum