• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Cannot get the Strad to sound right - help!

Share/Bookmark

Question Cannot get the Strad to sound right - help!

I have all of the Garritan libs - bought at the go-round.
    The Gofriller Cello sounds beautiful, I just installed it and started playing.
    No tweaking, just started playing it - plenty of volume and expression.

I never been able to get the Strad to sound even decent.
    I installed it properly, start KP2 or K2 or K3 and it sounds awful.
    I read in the manual that the default keyswitch opens with is C1.
    I play notes and get a sort of a sharp attack and then a very very quiet sustained note that does not get louder increasing the mod wheel.
    I hear the vibrato increase, but the sustained sound is so quiet.
    My expression pedal is set to the loudest. I do various keyswitches - nada improvement.

I have done no tweaking anywhere - just used it as it was installed.
    Again, the cello works perfectly - I close it out - start up the Strad and ick.

Obviously I am missing or misunderstanding something.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

Re: Cannot get the Strad to sound right - help!

CC11 is your friend!

Showing my ignorance here.
    And so how do I use said CC11?
    I am no techie - I start things, I play, I write - not savvy on CC anything.
    MacPro 2.66 - Tiger & Snow Leopard / 16GB RAM / several TB of HD space/ Garritan Libraries / EWQLSO Platinum PLAY / Omnisphere/ Kontakt 2 & 3 / Finale 2010 /DP5/ a VERY patient wife!

I went back to Kontakt 3 - I thought I had tried the Strad with it - maybe not.
    There it works just fine, but K2 and KP2 - no way.

Hmmm . . .

I have exactly the same problem. Only have the KP2 installed with the libraries.

Björn

Have you tried reading the (very well written!) manual? It's all explained in there. You need to manipulate at least CC11 and CC1 at the same time, combined with correct attack and note lengths to get good results. Explaining it here would be futile, as the manual does such a good job at explaining.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Quote Originally Posted by indianamusic View Post
    I went back to Kontakt 3 - I thought I had tried the Strad with it - maybe not.
    There it works just fine, but K2 and KP2 - no way.

Hmmm . . .
    While using it with Kontakt 3, there are some bugs!

In Kontakt 2 Player and Sampler, all works fine when you use the controller.

In Kontakt 2 Sampler there is a script where you can send all controller-data.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Yes, musicpete - I have looked at the manual - I will again more deeply.
    If it is a bother to you, I would not expect you to answer me.
    I would not want to be a burden to you.
    If someone else wants to help me, then that would be ok.
    We all have manuals to our software - yes, we read them, but sometimes it is nice to just ask a quick question and get some quick advice from a more experienced person. In other forums I have helped others without complaining to them about their lack of reading (or understanding) the manual.

But I find it odd that I can start up the Garritan cello and without doing anything with CC this and that - that it works perfectly.
    I just launch KP2 and out of the box it works - I would have expected that from the Strad too.

I would expect the same behavior from both when first opening it.
    K3 works with it correctly the second you start it up.
    I would not call that a bug, I call that working.

BTW - before I posted - I was reading on page 32 "Getting started"
    I did all of the steps precisely and got the same result.
    So it is not like I did not try - I may have missed something, but I did follow those instructions. I have tried the mod wheel and my expression pedal just as instructed - still not right. NO such issue with the cello - made by the same company - using the players.

After all of that, then I posted my request.

Quote Originally Posted by indianamusic View Post
    I never been able to get the Strad to sound even decent.
    I installed it properly, start KP2 or K2 or K3 and it sounds awful.
    I read in the manual that the default keyswitch opens with is C1.
    I play notes and get a sort of a sharp attack and then a very very quiet sustained note that does not get louder increasing the mod wheel.
    I hear the vibrato increase, but the sustained sound is so quiet.
    My expression pedal is set to the loudest. I do various keyswitches - nada improvement.
    The Gofriller and Strad behave similarly. You write that the "sustained note that does not get louder increasing the mod wheel. I hear the vibrato increase" That is because the Mod wheel controls vibrato and NOT volume. You will not hear dynamics in the sustains and will experience as you write "very very quiet" sustains. The EXPRESSION PEDAL controls volume and dynamics for the sustain. Please use the expresion pedal and make sure your pedal is routed to cc#11 and it should work fine. Check to make sure the expression pedal is working and is set up properly.

Good luck,

Gary

I went back to the cello and yes, the expression pedal does take care of the volume - I understand that now - thanks.

I switch to the strad and the expression pedal does not get me hardly any volume increase - unusable. Would not the expression pedal work the same with both instruments? I have done no tweaking with either instrument - just started it up and tried to play. I have changed no settings with the expression pedal - not even sure how to do that - so it is not like I delved into something I don't understand and accidentally changed a setting. It is a brand new M-Audio MXP.

The pedal is working with one and not the other.

Suggestions?

cm

Go Back to forum