• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Accelerating Timpani roll

Share/Bookmark

Accelerating Timpani roll

I use Sibelius and have tried a number of ways to notate a convincing accelerating Timpani roll. None of these have been very successful, so I am asking any notation user to explain how they notate one of these.

Thanks

Ron

Re: Accelerating Timpani roll

Why get it done in Sib, Ron? Notate it so it looks pretty on paper, then go to your Sonar where you can get a great sounding Tymp roll in under one minute.

Play the two octaves (left hand right hand) in real time, no quantization. Use "Length" control to cut the time in half. In Piano Roll sculpt the tops of the velocity values.

Ta Da.

Randy B.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Why get it done in Sib, Ron? Notate it so it looks pretty on paper, then go to your Sonar where you can get a great sounding Tymp roll in under one minute.

Play the two octaves (left hand right hand) in real time, no quantization. Use "Length" control to cut the time in half. In Piano Roll sculpt the tops of the velocity values.

Ta Da.

Randy B.
    Randy

Sonar is so easy to use, once you know how to use it. Today was the first day I even realized that those lines in the piano roll were the velocity values. Between school, work and everything else, I am slowly learning how to do things in sonar. This past weekend was the first time I got 5 instruments to play and get a wav file out of it. The reason this took so long was I gave up doing it by the book, and tried a different way and it finally worked, I must of tried a few hundred times by following their directions and it never worked.

I can solve any mathematical equation given a set of directions to follow, I can drive any where with (good) directions, I can follow the tutorials on line on youtube and get things to work. But the directions in the book they sent with the program are different and don't work.

So being the smart man I am, when they offered me an upgrade to sonar 7 studio for $99, I took it. Hopefully, that book is right and I will finally get everything to work right.

Then I will be able to do the simple timp roll!

I understand what you mean and agree that it should be simple and in time it will be simple even for me.

Thanks Randy

Ron

So I am still looking for a way to do this in a notation program.

Hi

just notate it.

eg Simple accelerating timpani roll over 7 measures, 4/4 time

4 quarters->8 dotted eights->8 eights->4 groups of eights tuplets->
    16 sixteenths->6 groups of sixteenth tuplets->24 Thirty seconds.

The rate at which you want to accelerate etc can be controlled by using a combination of dotted notes and tuplets.

The shorter notes can be notated using the tremolo slash (/, //, ///)

I have an example of the above, but only in Finale format. If you wish, PM me and I'll send you a MusicXML file (Sibelius should be able to read MusicXML)

Cheers...

Daz :0)

Thumbs up Re: Accelerating Timpani roll

Hmm, accelerating timpani roll. Interesting ... Oh, an says Accellerando (accel.) "Gradually faster" I would love to see your notational Suppositions. Can any of you post an example for all to see?
    Styxx

Hi

These may not be notationally correct, but seems to sound OK.
    2 examples:

Cheers...

darrob

I appreciate that, but I am looking for a convincing one in 1 to 2 measures (4/4 time). Right now I am looking for one in one 4/4 measure. So far everything I have done just doesn't sound real.

Ron

Hi

How about this?

Cheers...

darrob

Thanks, I don't know if I tried that one yet or not, but will try it tonight.

Ron

Go Back to forum