• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Keyboard Repair Mission Accomplished!!

Share/Bookmark

OT: Keyboard Repair Mission Accomplished!!

Hey everyone,

I just wanted to let those of you who are interested know that I managed to get my Kurzweil K2600X Keyboard working this afternoon. For those of you who just came in, last week, I managed to spill a nice steaming Hot cup of coffee directly into my keyboard, causing it to stop working.

From start to finish, it took me roughly 8 hours, non-stop to take it apart, clean the boards, keys, and contacts with rubbing alcohol, put it all back together (with no extra parts, mind you! ) and give it a test. I started around 6:30 am and finished around 2:30 pm today. Talk about a long cleaning project.

I had a bit of an issue with the velocity sensors. I inadvertently put a few of them upside down, which caused the samples to play at one velocity level, loud!! Luckily, I managed to figure out what the problem was. I always have been good at troubleshooting!

I want to thank everyone who gave me advice and encouragement as well as my wife and son for giving me the day to get it working. My wife is fantastic, however, if I had taken too much longer, she would have chucked it out into the snow!! (On a side note, we recieved about 8 inches of snow here last night in Northwest, Ohio with more on the way.)

Anyway, now that it is done, I can get back to work on other things, like remembering how to play Happy Birthday on the piano for my son's 1st birthday tomorrow!

Again, thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Re: OT: Keyboard Repair Mission Accomplished!!

Congrats Jonny!

People with other synths are probably wondering how it could take you 8 hours. Kurzweils are built like Russian tanks (and weigh about as much).

I still have a Bb key that plays FFF no matter how softly I strike it. Perhaps your successful repair job will inspire me to tackle that.

Glad it worked out for you.

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical View Post
    I still have a Bb key that plays FFF no matter how softly I strike it.
    I have a PC88 that had that problem. Does the key just play loud, or does it feel light to the touch as well?

The problem on mine was a cracked weight support. Before long the problem was a cracked off weight.

The solution was to replace 1/3 of the mechanism. (You can't replace the mechanism for just one key.) Being an older keyboard, I replaced all three pieces. Over time, some of the keys had started squeaking. The replacement fixed it all. The total cost was under $250, including labor and a new battery. It now plays like new!

You aren't kidding, K!!! I think I had to take out something like 80 screws. I was trying to count them all as I disassembled it, but I lost count! :-)

Take care,
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

In spite of your "Lost" name, you've won it this time. You must be happy that it was only sugarfree coffee. I once spilled a cup of hot-chocolat ...........

Raymond

Thumbs up Re: OT: Keyboard Repair Mission Accomplished!!

Way to go, Johnny! Nice to hear you were able to fix that puppy and get it up and running.
    Styxx

Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst View Post
    I have a PC88 that had that problem. Does the key just play loud, or does it feel light to the touch as well?

The problem on mine was a cracked weight support. Before long the problem was a cracked off weight.

The solution was to replace 1/3 of the mechanism. (You can't replace the mechanism for just one key.) Being an older keyboard, I replaced all three pieces. Over time, some of the keys had started squeaking. The replacement fixed it all. The total cost was under $250, including labor and a new battery. It now plays like new!
    I had the FFF note happen on my PC88 on the F sharp above middle C. Not a good thing in the middle of a softer song during our church service! I just moved that section of the rubber contacts to the highest octave of the keyboard - where I never play - and it's been fine ever since.

Rob

Go Back to forum