• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: garritan steinway

Share/Bookmark

garritan steinway

Now that it's officially for sale, has anyone purchased it and /or tried it out? Is it a real advance over the other leading Steinway samples (Black, Ivory, Akoustic)?

JG

Re: garritan steinway

Hi John,

The library is being assembled and printed and it should be available soon. The only people who have tried it are beta testers and those who have played it at trade shows. We will start taking orders and shipping soon.

Piano Society in your signature is a fascinating site. What an incredible resource!

My best,

Gary Garritan

Thanks, Gary. There's a long and tortured story behind my inclusion at the "Piano Society" website, which some posters here may remember: I was invited to make my piano version of Bk 1 of Bach's "Well-tempered Clavier" available to Piano Society, because I guess my version had, at that time, a wide following. What they didn't realize was that JG's WTC was entirely sample recorded, and much of it midi-modified. That realization set off a huge spat at the site, and the rest is, as they say, "history."

Anyhow, I want to record all of Bach's solo keyboard output, but I'm still waiting for a sampled Steinway that I feel completely comfortable with before I start the journey. I think my WTC 1 holds up against the standard live recordings out there, but it's a BOS sound. I want to do the Steinway thing for Bk 2 of ol' JSBach's keyboard Bible.

JG

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant View Post

Anyhow, I want to record all of Bach's solo keyboard output, but I'm still waiting for a sampled Steinway that I feel completely comfortable with before I start the journey. I think my WTC 1 holds up against the standard live recordings out there, but it's a BOS sound. I want to do the Steinway thing for Bk 2 of ol' JSBach's keyboard Bible.

JG
    Great news!! Do you mean Bosendorfer by BOS?
    Congrats on Bk I by the way - I've been enjoying your playing there alot.

I've got a different question about Steinway - but I think continuing this thread is a way to go, instead of posting another one.

Garry, will there be possibilities of upgrading Basic version to Pro version with some discount, meaning - cheaper than buying the Pro version independently?

Cheers,
    M.

Quote Originally Posted by maticomp View Post
    I've got a different question about Steinway - but I think continuing this thread is a way to go, instead of posting another one.

Garry, will there be possibilities of upgrading Basic version to Pro version with some discount, meaning - cheaper than buying the Pro version independently?

Cheers,
    M.
    maticomp,

We are working on figuring out the upgrade paths. I'm not sure if making it cheaper to go the upgrade route will be wise. Otherwise everyone will buy basic and upgrade and no one will buy the pro version independently

There's a good lielihood we will have periodic sales and upgrade offers along the way.

Best,

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by JohnGrant View Post
    Thanks, Gary. There's a long and tortured story behind my inclusion at the "Piano Society" website, which some posters here may remember: I was invited to make my piano version of Bk 1 of Bach's "Well-tempered Clavier" available to Piano Society, because I guess my version had, at that time, a wide following. What they didn't realize was that JG's WTC was entirely sample recorded, and much of it midi-modified. That realization set off a huge spat at the site, and the rest is, as they say, "history."

JG
    John,

Thanks for the information about the Society.

You may be interested to know we have available a number of temperaments and tunings, some of which were available during Bach's time.

The Authorized Steinway Virtual Concert Grand enables you to play in tunings that were common during the time periods of the greatest composers - like Bach. Until the 1900’s tunings were not the equal temperament we use today. The ability to play in the tuning that works were written for may more accurately reflect the intentions of composers.

Bach most likely used Meantone and “Well temperament” tunings, the latter of which gained its name from Bach’s collection of pieces, and originated in Andreas Werckmeister’s writings. If we assume Bach wrote the Well Tempered Clavier for a keyboard tuned to a Well temperament,then it may be worthwhile to try playing the piece in Well temperament.

Tunings and temperaments are something we paid close attention to. Some of the historical tunings in addition to equal temperament are: One-quarter comma meantone, One-sixth comma meantone, One-fifth comma meantone, Temperament Rameau's Ordinaire, Temperament Ordinaire II, Werckmeister III, Kirnberger III, Young I, Just intonation, among others.

Wendy Carlos, quite an expert in tunings, helped us and even developed some custom tunings for the Steinway.

You may want to experiment with some of these tunings that were in use during Bach's time.

I am looking forward to hearing your Bach renderings. Let me know if I can be of help in any way.

My best,

Gary Garritan

Gary,

Can ARIA also handle tunings that have more 12 tones per octave?

Quote Originally Posted by Craig F View Post
    Gary,

Can ARIA also handle tunings that have more 12 tones per octave?
    In the Steinway just twelve. It does have the ability to import scala tuning files and allows you to select the base note (or center) of your scale.

In the future we may be able to work with more than 12 tones as we are working with a company that makes microtonal controllers. So this a good possibility in the future.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    maticomp,

We are working on figuring out the upgrade paths. I'm not sure if making it cheaper to go the upgrade route will be wise. Otherwise everyone will buy basic and upgrade and no one will buy the pro version independently
    Hey, that's not exactly what I meant of course it would be illogical, to make basic+upgrade cheaper than pro. I'm thinking more of equation basic+upgrade=pro, so you can buy the pro version in parts - basic at first, and then upgrade to pro by pro price minus basic price. I hope that would be possible :-) I just hope it won't end like basic + upgrade to pro = basic + pro in terms of price, in other words, buying basic for full price, and then pro for full price.

Geez, I'm having trouble with my english today ;-) Hope you understand my thoughts

p.s. I've sent you a mail yesterday, but I will repost the question here also, as it may be useful to other forum members. Which mic perspective will be available in the basic version? Will it be player perspective (as basic is targeted for students who usually play the piano instead of listening from the recording perspective), or maybe the classic perspective?

Cheers! (why there is no piano emoticon? ;-))
    M.

Go Back to forum