• Register
  • Help

Topic: FireWire Audio Interface for Intel Mac

Share/Bookmark

FireWire Audio Interface for Intel Mac

OK:

Just got a Mac intel Core Duo laptop for clinics and travel, running Logic and DP. I am looking for a firewire audio interface that works with intel Macs. It does not have to be anything fancy, I am only demoing software and sound libraries and not doing any heavy duty recording. The cheaper the better! I already have a good setup at home.

Any suggestions???

Peace

rikp

Re: FireWire Audio Interface for Intel Mac

Not sure if it's in the right price range but I literally just installed a Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 i/o on my Intel Mac and it seems pretty sweet!

One negative piece of advice: DON'T get an M-audio firewire interface for your Mac. I made the mistake of getting a Firewire Audiophile for my MacPro. It works OK with sampler software like Kontakt2 and Vienna Ensemble in stand-alone mode, but I have given up trying to make it work with instrument plug-ins in my DAW (DP5.12). Other people have reported similar problems with DP and Logic. The issue seems to be the M-audio drivers for Mac OS. M-audio tech support told me they were aware of the problem and were working on a new driver, but that was several months ago and nothing has come of it.

You would do best to get an audio interface from a company that really knows how to make drivers for Mac OS. According to information I have gleaned from other forums and stuff, companies like MOTU, RME and Apogee seem to have the best reputation for Mac-compatible hardware and drivers.
    David C. Buist

I got the Focusrite Saffire LE for $250 and it works like a charm with my Macbook. I daisy chain it with my external harddrive and it's no problem.

Thanks everyone! I did wind up purchasing the Apogee Duet. A little more than I wanted to spend, but it will be nice

Peace

rikp

I have the Duet's big-brother (Ensemble) and have not been disappointed.

-K

I have a MOTU UltraLite and it's quite nice.

Go Back to forum