• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Our Journey Home

Share/Bookmark

Our Journey Home

This piece originated from a theme that I used in another recent piece. I like the motive and decided to see where it would take me as a musical offering by itself. Since this was a journey in my mind to see where the motive would take me and it is a duet, I have decided to call it:

Our Journey Home

It tells a story, but as most of my pieces, the story is as individual as the person listening. You picture your own story (if any develop) as you listen to it. If anything I hope the piece brings you a journey of enjoyment and a relaxation.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Our Journey Home

Very nice, Rich,

a very fine composition!

My story to this is: I am sitting in my car and driving home after a hard day, look out of the window and see happy people who are smiling, I see the great nature, big trees and birds and the sun, which just goes down.... . A very warm and friendly situation... . Call it: Coming home.

Thanks for this nice melody!

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

It's beautiful smooth jazz piece.

I would keep the drums more subdued like what you are doing at 1:00.

Let the bass provide more of the beat.

It was a real nice journey.

Phil

Rich

Creamy smooth. Very nice rendering on this.

Well done

Ron

Gunther,

Thanks for listening and I hope your drive home that day was safe and pleasurable.

Rich

Phil,

Thanks for your comments. It is a puzzle to me on listening and mixing. Your comment:
    I would keep the drums more subdued like what you are doing at 1:00.

Makes sense, when I listen to the MP3 (128 Kbs) through headphones, but when I listen on my studio monitors through my Onyx mixing board with the sound going to the speakers through an Alesis RA-100 amp, you know, I don't hear the drums too far forward at all. Even in my car stereo listening to a CD made from the .wav file, the balance sounds great. But, then I listen on line to the compressed mp3 file and the bass is down and the drums are up. Go figure. It is hard to fix what you can't hear in the mix.

Again thanks and I will (when I get a chance) work on the balance thing one more time.

Rich

Ron,

The mix did have that kind of texture (creamy smooth) and that was what I was after. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Rich

Hi Rich:
    Nice composition, well thought out and developed. I wish I could tell you how to eq the flugal horn, but, I can't. I hope that in the future the Brass samples (esp. tpt and flgl) are more realistic. I enjoyed the piece and after 3 listenings, it seems to do exactly what you wanted it to do as a journey home with a sentimental feeling. Thanks for posting.
    best wishes
    John

Richard, this is lovely work... great flow and smoothness
    and texture to it.

With others, I think I might lay back a bit on the drums,
    still, and through the opening perhaps depend more on
    brush work? As is, it is by no means overbearing, of
    course; but this writing shows so much subtlety and
    grace in it, a "less is more" attitude toward the percussion
    might more readily suit its overall flavor.

A pleasure, my friend, very much enjoyed this one.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

John,

Thanks for you comments and listening. This is another one of those pieces where the melody and idea were already in my mine or pre-concieved and it was a matter of painting the musical picture to contain it.

As for brass instruments samples, I think the difficulty in getting them to sound well (for me any way) is that I don't have a brass players concept of sound. I play reed instruments and my use of reed samples sounds more realistic than any of the other instruments. I hear the reeds as if I were playing them. As for Brass and Strings, I hear them but I have less of a mental concept on what is done to produce an excellent sound (and an excellent sound is harder to obtain on brass than woodwinds [IMHO]). With the help of my brother (who is a brass player) I was able to get a little better sound on the flugal than I had in the original attempt.

Again, thanks for listening...

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast