• Register
  • Help

Topic: Xanadu

Share/Bookmark

Xanadu

NEWS ON THE MARCH ...

XANADU ... ROSEBUD...

Legendary was the Xanadu... where Kubla Khan decreed his stately pleasure dome.

Today almost as legendary as Florida's Xanadu...
    ... the world's largest private pleasure ground. Here on the deserts of the Gulf Coast, a private mountain...was commissioned and successfully built. One hundred thousand trees, twenty thousand tons of marble... are the ingredients of Xanadu's mountain. Contents of Xanadu's palace: paintings, pictures, statues, various stones of other palaces. A collection of everything. So big it can never be catalogued or appraised. Enough for 10 museums, the loot of the world. Xanadu's livestock... the fowl of the air, the fish of the sea, the beast of the field and jungle... two of each, the biggest private zoo since Noah. Like the Pharaohs... Xanadu's landlord leaves many stones to mark his grave.

Since the Pyramids... Xanadu is the costliest monument... a man has built to himself.

In Xanadu last week was held 2008's biggest, strangest funeral. Here in Xanadu last week... Xanadu's landlord was laid to rest. A potent figure of our century... America's Kubla Khan: Charles Foster Kane.

To forty-four million U.S. news buyers, more newsworthy than the names in his own headlines, was Kane himself, greatest newspaper tycoon of this or any other generation. (from CITIZEN KANE, ORSON WELLES.)

Re: Xanadu

Spectacular sound. The orchestration is solid and interesting, dynamic control detailed and the melodic line(s) intriguing.

Unfortunately when I listened to it, the ending was cut off at the end. Still, the music was powerful.

It sounds great. i can imagine a tour of the grand estate with this music.

The music IS grand.

That's one of the few movies I own. Film making 101.

Phil

Cool Re: Xanadu

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
    It sounds great. i can imagine a tour of the grand estate with this music.

The music IS grand.

That's one of the few movies I own. Film making 101.

Phil
    Hi Phil,

Orson Welles did "CITIZEN KANE", I just felt like doing something inspired by the story...

Here is the piece in one whole file: XANADU

Regards,

Fred

Lightbulb Re: Xanadu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Davis View Post
    Spectacular sound. The orchestration is solid and interesting, dynamic control detailed and the melodic line(s) intriguing.

Unfortunately when I listened to it, the ending was cut off at the end. Still, the music was powerful.
    Hi Tom,

Thanks for inspiring words from Washington! Glad you have heard the complete mp3, after I uploaded a new one!

Regards,

Fred

Fredik

All my life I have known what rosebud was, so by the time I finally decided to watch the film, I got thru about halfway and got bored and turned it off.

Not so with this piece. Very regal and made for an American of Ficticious royality.

Well done

Ron

Cool Re: Xanadu

Quote Originally Posted by rolifer View Post
    Fredik

All my life I have known what rosebud was, so by the time I finally decided to watch the film, I got thru about halfway and got bored and turned it off.

Not so with this piece. Very regal and made for an American of Ficticious royality.

Well done

Ron
    Hi Ron,

"Citizen Kane" was created by the same man who became world famous with his "The War of the Worlds".

An episode of the American radio drama anthology series Mercury Theatre on the air. It was performed as a Halloween special on October 30, 1938 and aired over the CBS Radio network. Directed by Orson Welles, the episode was an adaptation of H.G. Wells' classic novel the War of the Worlds.

It was also the start of a long music career for American film composer Bernard Herrman. He started at the Mercury Theatre working with Orson Welles. Later he was involved in films like Psycho...Citizen Kane... Vertigo...Taxidriver!

I think we all know those one of the most famous movies in the world!

Herrman's music in "Vertigo" for ex... (one of my favorites!), has a massive dramatic Wagnerian soundtrack that effectively narrates the Hitchcook plot! No words are needed! Herrman let's the orchestra tell the story! (I get tears in my eyes listening to this soundtrack!)

Yes, so the reason I mention Bernard Herrman is because he composed the music in Citizen Kane! And inspired me to do something with the text written by Orson Welles!

Thanks for your review Ron,

Fred

Just listened to Xanadu, Fredrik. What a
    delightful work! Very strong neo-Classical
    writing in this, and a finely built piece that
    runs like a well built clock from beginning
    to end.

Excellent job on the rendering on this, as
    well, Fredrik; a pleasure for the ear...

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum