• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Stylus Question -- vary rhythm?

Share/Bookmark

Stylus Question -- vary rhythm?

I'm demoing a copy of Stylus that was loaned to me, and I'm hoping that it will accommodate more rhythmic styles than simply the whimpy 4 on 4 that pervades pop music these days.

OK, that's what sells, but isn't there anything in there like a nice Bossa Nova with variations? Perhaps a few Meringue and Samba sets? How about a swinging fours, or a tasty jazz waltz?

There's a Jazz menu somewhere in there, maybe the Grooves, but what I listened to sounded more like shuffle than jazz, but that's typical and unfortunate -- many people today, even those who call themselves musicians, use the term "jazz" inappropriately, or do not seem to understand just what the music called jazz is all about.

Are there External libraries for Stylus that might actually have jazz rhythms of the type I mentioned?

Re: Stylus Question -- vary rhythm?

Quote Originally Posted by kwgm View Post
    OK, that's what sells, but isn't there anything in there like a nice Bossa Nova with variations? Perhaps a few Meringue and Samba sets? How about a swinging fours, or a tasty jazz waltz?

Are there External libraries for Stylus that might actually have jazz rhythms of the type I mentioned?
    You have to look for REX or REX 2 compatible libraries. Big Fish Audio is starting to offer a number of these. Some are even offered as "RMX Ready" which bypass the SAGE converter completely. And I believe they have a new Latin Jazz library that sounded pretty good. Included some loops other than just drums.

There's a library out there (unfortunately not in REX format) called Jazzistic. Available in old school sampler formats and wavs. You'd have to REX 'em before you could bring them into Stylus. There's also a mini library with some nice brush work at bandmateloops.com.

Wish I could find a wider variety of drum loops, too. Especially really hi-fi ones. Maybe Eric will offer some new software after he gets this Omnisphere off the ground?

Quote Originally Posted by kwgm View Post
    I'm demoing a copy of Stylus that was loaned to me,
    UH?? Eric will be pleased..

Quote Originally Posted by nutotech View Post
    You have to look for REX or REX 2 compatible libraries. Big Fish Audio is starting to offer a number of these. Some are even offered as "RMX Ready" which bypass the SAGE converter completely. And I believe they have a new Latin Jazz library that sounded pretty good. Included some loops other than just drums.

There's a library out there (unfortunately not in REX format) called Jazzistic. Available in old school sampler formats and wavs. You'd have to REX 'em before you could bring them into Stylus. There's also a mini library with some nice brush work at bandmateloops.com.

Wish I could find a wider variety of drum loops, too. Especially really hi-fi ones. Maybe Eric will offer some new software after he gets this Omnisphere off the ground?
    Hey, thanks for the input.

Licensing prevents loaning copies of the software to anyone. That's simply pirating. You are using an illegal copy.

I don't have too many qualms about pirates and software that get absolutely no developer support or feedback like Apple and Logic Pro, but Spectrasonics is here personally supporting their product quite often.

The least you could do before even posing a technical question is to purchase the software LEGALLY.

Quote Originally Posted by lwilliam View Post
    Licensing prevents loaning copies of the software to anyone. That's simply pirating. You are using an illegal copy.

I don't have too many qualms about pirates and software that get absolutely no developer support or feedback like Apple and Logic Pro, but Spectrasonics is here personally supporting their product quite often.

The least you could do before even posing a technical question is to purchase the software LEGALLY.
    I appreciate Spectrasonics' right to do business and their license agreement, which I happen to be in conformance with.

What I don't appreciate, is your assumption about my particular situation with how I demoed Stylus.

Next time, get the facts before you insult fellow forum users. If you have a question about my situation, why didn't you simply ask, instead of sounding off and making a fool of yourself?

2 questions then:

a) How did you install it on your computer given that the authorization is limited to a single user?

b) Is this the part of the Stylus-RMX FAQ that you are 'conforming' to?:

The Stylus RMX license is the right given to a single person to use the instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bouhalassa View Post
    2 questions then:

a) How did you install it on your computer given that the authorization is limited to a single user?

b) Is this the part of the Stylus-RMX FAQ that you are 'conforming' to?:
    a) I didn't install it on my computer.

b) All of it.

c) What business is this of yours?

OK. So your friend lent you his computer - why didn't you say so right away? You could have saved us some time.

Please note that the combination of the following in a post usually sends off warning bells to all who care about piracy:

- the use of the words 'loan' + 'copy' + 'friend'

- describing a home 'demo' session in the context of a software which is usually only demonstrated in a music store due to its large sample set

As for why anybody here should care about your actions, consider that you're walking into a room, a club-house, filled with owners of RMX who, to a very large percentage, do not take kindly to pirating. You just borrowed your friend's computer? Fine, you'll get lots of help to make up your mind about getting RMX for yourself.

The Jazz menu...Is that the New Orleans set you're talking about? There's no Jazz expanders from Spectrasonics, and no Jazz sets in the main library.

You can convert rex libraries to stylus RMX, and there's some good one around for both Latin and Jazz.

Go Back to forum