• Register
  • Help

Topic: "the Trial"

Share/Bookmark

"the Trial"

After writing the quartet “Walt’s Waltz”, which I posted here awhile back, I decided to do some more chamber music and was inspired to write a trio. However, the trio was for flute, oboe, and viola, and since I don’t own a viola sample, ( or a Strad which I could re-tune lower), this has turned out to be a duet at this point in time. ( although the viola part is written) I’ve decided to shelf this project until which time Gary comes out with a great sounding viola. But before doing so, I’d like to share it.

Since this piece isn’t really finished, I didn’t bother to correct the multitude of technical sins in this version. The reverb is…well…a mess, and I use two flute samples which aren’t in the same position, etc. And since I don’t have the viola playing, you would be hearing big gaps in the melodic line, so to provide continuity, I filled the viola part in with the flute and oboe. However, in the score, they really don’t play all the time …honest!

Just think, not a single chord in this whole piece. So, if you love intervals, this piece will be your Shangri-La.

The piece is called “The Trial”. It’s in three movements—The Defense, The Plaintive, The Verdict. I’ve posted the last two movements.

And no, I really mean “Plaintive”. The whole piece is really a Double Entendre in that the Trial refers to one’s coping with life, as in Trial and Tribulations. The Defense is just existing from day to day, defending yourself against outside forces and just surviving. The plaintive, is in fact, realization of your sadness about this and you start to think how and in what direction to change your life. The Verdict is, of course, the final decision on how you choose to live your life.

Heavy I know, so, go ahead and just think of it as a courtroom trial and except my misspelling of “Plaintiff”. Much easier that way.

Hope you enjoy the duet rendition of “The Trial” ---in mathematical form that would be 2/trio.

The Plaintive

The Verdict

It’s now time to perform my sock roundup, to ferret out every renegade stocking that I’ve tossed here and there at night’s end---- in other words, laundry.

Cass

Re: "the Trial"

The Plaintive

I'm very impressed with your writing! Great color and melodic flow; followed by wonderful counterpoint. I definitely hear the struggle of your theme.

The Verdict

I really liked how you used different intertwining rhythms. A much more sectional piece - one sounding a bit more classical and calm. Nice "play" with different articulations. Your transitions are flawless and so smooth.

BOTH are excellent. I honestly hope others have the chance to listen soon! Very much enjoyed! Would like to read the score if you have one.?

Good luck on the sock hunt!

Michael
    Last edited by Michael A. Wiktor; 03-01-2008 at 03:02 PM. Reason: duh
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

What a pleasure. Impressively good writing in
    this, Cass, even in reduction from trio to duet.

And your rendering, regardless of aforementioned
    "technical sins", is first rate on this, overall;
    likewise, the interpretation.

I'll certainly look forward to hearing this with the
    viola part for a fuller sense of the dialogue. I
    wonder if, in the meantime, you might consider
    substituting...?

Much applause on this one!

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor View Post

I'm very impressed with your writing! Great color and melodic flow; followed by wonderful counterpoint. I definitely hear the struggle of your theme.

Michael
    Thanks for the critique Michael. Music has always been a very spiritual and integral part of my life, but I haven’t done much composing. I love the challenge of it and the satisfaction of being able to release in me a creative energy that has been dormant for some time (but not by choice). It really does elevate one to another plane of existence. However, I must admit I feel a bit insecure with the results after hearing all the fabulous entries on this forum. So, encouragement like yours really helps more than you know. I sincerely appreciate it.

As for a copy of the score, I’m on such a limited budget at the moment I really don’t have any discretionary cash to buy everything I need for composing on computer. My next purchase will be a second computer so I can actually orchestrate and to buy GPO, which I also don’t have. After that though, I will be purchasing a scoring program such as Finale or Sibelius. I very much doubt you would be able to read my “chicken scratch” score as it presently exits, but I will write in my ‘things to do this year” book and send you a copy of the score when I get the software---promise!

Thanks again for your genuine and positive reflections on this piece.
    PS ( I only ended up with three mismatched socks, not bad…huh!

Cass

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post

I'll certainly look forward to hearing this with the
    viola part for a fuller sense of the dialogue. I
    wonder if, in the meantime, you might consider
    substituting...?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Oh David, you know I was contemplating that very thing, whether to substitute or not. For reasons, that I’m sure you can appreciate, I decided to wait. I “hear” the sound of viola in my head with pizzicato, and mute, and sur ponticello, and portamentos, and various attacks, etc. all the nuances which a string instrument can produce to make a piece so emotive, which a woodwind just can’t quite equal. Since I have the oboe and flute already, I need that quality to achieve how I conceive the piece in my head. Since I don’t have a violin or viola, my only alternative was to retune the Gofriller cello upward, and I knew that wasn’t going to be satisfactory. So I decided to shelf it and will repost when I acquire a viola.

Also, thanks for the positive thoughts; as in my response to Michael, above, it means a great deal to me.

Cass

Cass don't alter these pieces please!! No other arrangement with violas or else. Just these ones!! Great performance. With pleasure I listened to both of them.

Raymond

Cass

I listened to The Plaintive (sounds like a mock banana) the other day and was impressed. I am now back and listening to The Verdict. Great writing and rendering.

Very well done

Ron

Pretty impressive even without the third voice.

Interesting, playful music.

It will be nice to here it in it's complete form.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Cass don't alter these pieces please!! No other arrangement with violas or else. Just these ones!! Great performance. With pleasure I listened to both of them.

Raymond
    Raymond,
    You’re not the first to tell me I should leave this composition alone—as is. A friend came over who is quite a great flutist and we played through the movements. (I do play oboe, but my embouchure can’t keep up, been a few years since I’ve played in an orchestra.) Anyway, he also didn’t want a third voice butting in—“quite fulfilling without it”, he said. So I’ve somewhat acquiesced and will write to versions—a duet and a trio—of this piece. (just have to find an oboist who can play nonstop for 3 minutes).

So don’t get overwrought Raymond, you’ve been heard…. Thanks

Cass

Cass,

Really exceptional compositions, both of these. While a literal allegorical setting isn't intended, I can still hear one, particularly in the clever nervousness and anticipation portrayed in The Verdict.

Great job with the rendering on these as well. Looking forward to more.

Danny

Go Back to forum