• Register
  • Help

Topic: Where to put subwoofer?

Share/Bookmark

Where to put subwoofer?

I'm just setting up my studio, after waiting about a million years for a new desk to arrive. I used to have my subwoofer under the desk, which massively improved the tangle of cabling that would otherwise be on show. I always assumed that this was dreadful practise though, and that I must be getting a poor stereo image.

So this time I was going to swallow my hatred of visible cables and do the whole crawling-around-the-floor-trying-to-find-the-sweet-spot-for-my-sub thing. But then I spotted an add for a commercially available 'composer's desk' which highlighted the room available underneath as potential space for a subwoofer or PC enclosure. This made me think it must be fairly common practise to hide the subwoofer under the desk.

Is anyone else doing this? What are anyone's thoughts?

Re: Where to put subwoofer?

Bass frequencies are omnidirectional. Placement shouldn't affect imaging too much. But, balance is another story. A misplaced sub can sound weak, or it can be "boomy" depending on how the sound waves react to nearby objects/walls, etc.

That being said, my house will do! (You may need to compensate for a bit of weakness in the bass.)

Rob

Wherever you place your speakers and subwoofer, use Auralex foam to isolate them. I have the foam under my L & R speakers on my editing bench and the Auralex "granny" under the subwoofer, on the bottom shelf of the bench. (The granny is a wooden and foam rubber platform that isolates the sound so that it is not colored by vibrations from anything else.)

I didn't have many options on where to place the speakers, since I have such a small workspace. But isolating them helped improve the sound quite a bit and they were certainly cheap enough. I've spent far more on speaker cables.

Exclamation Re: Where to put subwoofer?

It's different for every room - and per your place in it. Read Digital Domain web site or better yet pick up Bob Katz book "Mastering Audio". which has a great deal of detail on how to adjust woofer placement to help calm room "nodes".
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Wherever you place your speakers and subwoofer, use Auralex foam to isolate them. I have the foam under my L & R speakers on my editing bench and the Auralex "granny" under the subwoofer, on the bottom shelf of the bench. (The granny is a wooden and foam rubber platform that isolates the sound so that it is not colored by vibrations from anything else.)

I didn't have many options on where to place the speakers, since I have such a small workspace. But isolating them helped improve the sound quite a bit and they were certainly cheap enough. I've spent far more on speaker cables.
    I second this. I've isolated my Mackie HR824s with Auralex pads and the improvement is tremendous.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Yes, use foam to isolate the subwoofer.

If the crossover frequency is below around 80 Hz, the sub will not be perceptively directional, so placement is not absolutely critical. I crossover at 70 Hz.

There is some advantage to aiming the sub a bit sideways so it is not directly facing the rear wall.

It is also recommended to get room corner absorptive foam. Preferably in all 4 corners of the room, but at least in 2 corners.

Do a careful listen to make sure that things do not resonate or rattle (windows, decorations, air conditioning vents, etc.)

My 2 Cents,
    Horace

Oh - I have a GRANNY and MOPADs for my monitors too (at least my surrounds - the front array is mounted on the wall).
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

Go Back to forum