• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Should developers be legally compelled to disclose user agreements prior to sale?

Share/Bookmark

Should developers be legally compelled to disclose user agreements prior to sale?

Does anyone find it strange that some(maybe all, not even sure) developers sell products with restrictive user agreements that are only disclosed after the purchase? I'm talking about user agreements that prevent studio's from allowing clients to play software sample libraries that are licensed to say the owner of the studio.

i was looking at the Garritan Authorized Steinway thinking what a nice addition that would be, just like adding a nice KM 84 or some other illustrious piece of gear, only to find once you crack open the (no return package) to discover you are the only one entitled to use it. Imagine having a bought a vintage mic and discovering such a legally bound note in the box!

This policy of non-disclosure to me seems wrong. I'd love to hear others opinions on the subject, I'd like to know if others, like me, feel these companies should be legally bound to disclose these user agreements prior to sales.

Re: Should developers be legally compelled to disclose user agreements prior to sale?

License Agreement posted right below shopping cart.

Example:
    http://www.beladmedia.com/purchase-asw.htm

...and we agree.
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Re: Should developers be legally compelled to disclose user agreements prior to sale?

Of course they should, and you should also be entitled to a full refund if any of the advertised features don't work, or there are, for example, tuning issues, which make the product faulty.

D

Rick,

Below the credit card info, you will see "Click here to read the licensing agreement". We have always had a license agreement on our online order form for our products. This way people can read the EULA before purchase (here is a link).

However, the Authorized Steinway is not yet available for online order. (any day now ). When the Steinway is available for order online, the license agreement will also be there.

You are free to use the library in any music production (but not another sample library). We never had such a restriction preventing "studio's from allowing clients to play software sample libraries that are licensed to say the owner of the studio."

Best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    Does anyone find it strange that some(maybe all, not even sure) developers sell products with restrictive user agreements that are only disclosed after the purchase? I'm talking about user agreements that prevent studio's from allowing clients to play software sample libraries that are licensed to say the owner of the studio.

i was looking at the Garritan Authorized Steinway thinking what a nice addition that would be, just like adding a nice KM 84 or some other illustrious piece of gear, only to find once you crack open the (no return package) to discover you are the only one entitled to use it. Imagine having a bought a vintage mic and discovering such a legally bound note in the box!

This policy of non-disclosure to me seems wrong. I'd love to hear others opinions on the subject, I'd like to know if others, like me, feel these companies should be legally bound to disclose these user agreements prior to sales.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    Of course they should, and you should also be entitled to a full refund if any of the advertised features don't work, or there are, for example, tuning issues, which make the product faulty.

D
    Although you make an example about tuning issues, let me take this opportunity to mention the tuning of the Authorized Steinway.

Steinway and Sons provided their top master technician, Eric Schandall, to oversee the recording session to make sure the piano was in perfect tune. He meticulously listened to each note for consistency, tuning and fidelity throughout the session. Mr. Schandall brought out the best in the piano and the instrument could not have been in more capable hands.

Best,

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Although you make an example about tuning issues, let me take this opportunity to mention the tuning of the Authorized Steinway.

Steinway and Sons provided their top master technician, Eric Schandall, to oversee the recording session to make sure the piano was in perfect tune. He meticulously listened to each note for consistency, tuning and fidelity throughout the session. Mr. Schandall brought out the best in the piano and the instrument could not have been in more capable hands.

Best,

Gary Garritan
    I have never heard your product, and in any case I was not referring to any specific product when I gave my "for example". Good luck with the release of your sample instrument.

D

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl View Post
    I have never heard your product, and in any case I was not referring to any specific product when I gave my "for example". Good luck with the release of your sample instrument.

D
    Daryl,

I know you were not referring to a specific product in your "for example". But it conveniently opened the door for shameless promotion .

Thanks for the well wishes.

Gary Garritan

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    Rick,

Below the credit card info, you will see "Click here to read the licensing agreement". We have always had a license agreement on our online order form for our products. This way people can read the EULA before purchase (here is a link).

However, the Authorized Steinway is not yet available for online order. (any day now ). When the Steinway is available for order online, the license agreement will also be there.

You are free to use the library in any music production (but not another sample library). We never had such a restriction preventing "studio's from allowing clients to play software sample libraries that are licensed to say the owner of the studio."

Best,

Gary Garritan
    Thank You for clearing that up for me.

BTW, I applaud your "out of the box" thinking for piracy protection and hope it results i actually capturing the villains.

Quote Originally Posted by RickD View Post
    Does anyone find it strange that some(maybe all, not even sure) developers sell products with restrictive user agreements that are only disclosed after the purchase?
    Tascam's Gigastudio! I bought it. There was a seal on the CD that said the user has to agree to the license before breaking the seal. If the user does not agree to the license, send the product back with the seal still intact. Now here's where the unbelievable human stupidity of software developers comes in. I looked through everything that came in the box and there was NO license agreement. I called the company and they told me the license agreement was a file on the CD. Uh, the CD I'm not supposed to open until after I read the license agreement. What a bunch of morons those people are. Can't they figure out they're asking the impossible from people. They just can't seem to think things through.

Elhardt: There is a very simple solution to that dilemma! Do not break the seal, use a knife or scissors to open a side of the cd envelope but make sure to not touch the seal. There you go: You bypassed being Steinberged.
    Greetings from Vienna!
    Peter
    My website: Above the staff.net

Go Back to forum