• Register
  • Help

Topic: Recording GPO ModWhl events with control surface (BCR2000)

Share/Bookmark

[SOLVED] Recording GPO ModWhl events with control surface (BCR2000)

Hi-

Newbie here -- 1st post! I'm using SONAR PE 7.0.2. Feel free to point me to another forum if this isn't the best choice for SONAR/GPO info.

I want to record ModWhl events from GPO into SONAR, and it works fine if I use the Mod Wheel on my Motif. However, I can't seem to use the BCR2000 to record those events. I can control GPO fine using the BCR2000, I just can't record the ModWhl changes generated this way. The only way I've found to do it is to automate the controls in SONAR's Synth Rack, which gives me envelopes on the GPO audio track. I'd rather have the MIDI events recorded.

BTW, one reason I want to use the BCR2000 for this is so I can record ModWhl events on more than one track/channel at a time.

Any thoughts?

P.S. I've posted this in the SONAR forum as well.

Thanks!

-Susan
    Last edited by Susan G; 03-02-2008 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Solved

Re: Recording GPO ModWhl events with control surface (BCR2000)

Hi-

Does anyone know if what I want to do is possible?

Thanks-

-Susan

Hi Jon-

Yes, there's no problem recording GPO to the MIDI tracks -- except for the ModWhl events generated by the BCR2000 (ext. controller). I can record the events fine via my Motif Mod Wheel.

In other words, I move the knobs on the BCR2000, the GPO ModWhl moves, by those events aren't recorded.

Thanks-

-Susan

Quote Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
    Hi Jon-

Yes, there's no problem recording GPO to the MIDI tracks -- except for the ModWhl events generated by the BCR2000 (ext. controller). I can record the events fine via my Motif Mod Wheel.

In other words, I move the knobs on the BCR2000, the GPO ModWhl moves, by those events aren't recorded.

Thanks-

-Susan
    Hi Susan,

Yes, that's really bizarre. If you're willing I'd like you to download a small program to run some diagnostics and we'll see if the problem resides on Behringer's or Sonar's end.

The tool is MIDI-OX and it is available here. It is a very useful diagnostic and patching utility. It also integrates into SONAR.

Run MIDI-OX (standalone) and enable the BCR2000's inputs. Move the rotary encoders you've assigned to modwheel and see if MIDI OX receives their information (Controller #1) and if it does, on which channels.

If you do receive modwheel data and it appears on different channels, take Ox out of the loop and boot Sonar. I have a feeling you know this as you've done it fine with the motif, but assign the input recording device and channel to match that coming from the BCR2000 under its I/O on the tracks you'll be adding controller data to. Also make sure you've enabled Controller data recording under Options>Global>MIDI>Recording menu.

If you aren't receiving Modwheel input over different channels into your PC, the problem is with the Behringer. Ensure you have assigned the modwheel to the encoders properly. Also, the information may be being dropped by the motif if you're running the BCR via midi through the Motif.

Please let us know if this helps you at all.

Best,
    Reegs

Hi Reegs-

I did put TenCrazy's PortDiag on the MIDI track(s) to monitor MIDI events being sent from the BCR2000 and they registered fine there, but I haven't tried MIDI-OX standalone. I can also record MIDI events into SONAR using the BCR with eg. MusicLab's RealGuitar with no trouble, BTW.

The BCR->GPO ModWhl assignments do seem right, since the 5 rotaries I've assigned each operate the GPO ModWhl widgets independently & accurately.

Also, the BCR MIDI goes direct to my PC (not via the Motif).

I'll try what you suggest when I get home tonight, but I thought I'd throw out the above in the meantime in case anything leaps out.

Another thing I'm going to try next chance is using another BCR preset, since the one I'm using now is acting as an ACT controller. The one I use for RealGuitar is just a standard preset I've modified to control RG specifically. I just though of that, and maybe for some reason ACT doesn't work with GPO and the BCR.

Thanks so much for your help & interest!

-Susan

]SOLVED] Recording GPO ModWhl events with control surface (BCR2000)

I switched to a different BCR preset and programmed the rotaries to control GPO ModWhl events directly, bypassing ACT. It works perfectly now!

-Susan

EDIT: It also works with ACT if I remember to Enable MIDI Output![]

Good to hear! I suspected it might have been a MIDI/ACT conflict of interest after reading your post.

Have fun

Best,
    Reegs

Go Back to forum