• Register
  • Help

Topic: A Little Advice Please - Sonar 6 and GPO

Share/Bookmark

Question A Little Advice Please - Sonar 6 and GPO

I have an ambitious project to do this weekend. I have four fairly complex mixes in Sonar 6.2.1 (50+ tracks) that I need to send out individual source tracks to an outside mixing facility overseas. Each of the mixes has one or two instances of GPO in them with individual midi tracks feeding them. My normal method of working has been to use the default configuration that GPO comes up in, which directs the output of each instance of GPO/Kontakt to a stereo track containing the audio output of all midi tracks feeding that instance. The outside mixing house wants the individual instruments broken out into individual tracks. I tried for a while setting up the vsti synth rack in Sonar to send outputs to individual tracks. Sonar appears to set up several audio tracks correctly but I only get audio when I assign their inputs to PersonalOrchestraVST Primary Out: Stereo. When I assign a track's input to PersonalOrchestraVST KP|PO 3/4 Stereo (0r left or right mono) I can see the meters boucing in Kontakt, but nothing ever gets back to Sonar. I am still using the original Kontakt player I got when I bought GPO a few years back, but I have downloaded the KP2 upgrade from NI (after getting a new registration number). I have not as yet installed the KP2 upgrade.

So my options seem to be:
    1) Hope some merciful soul on this forum can point out the error of my ways in getting the tracks feeding GPO to play as individual audio tracks using my current version of Kontakt. (Perhaps I'm missing something obvious, or there is a trick to making Kontakt and Sonar play nicely together.)
    2) Take a chance and upgrade to KP2, which I was able to find some advice on by searching the garritan forums, at the risk of adding more complications with a deadline looming near.
    3) Just bite the bullet and solo each midi track one at a time and create the individual tracks by playing the songs 8-12 times each to get each instrument in a solo track. (Not my favorite option, but probably the safest).

Thanks in advance for any advice you might share.

Cheers!

Re: A Little Advice Please - Sonar 6 and GPO

Hi!

I wish that I knew an easy way, but I generally use your 3rd option. That's just how I do it, makes mixing (volumes etc.) much easier IMO, even though it takes a lot of time.

I'm sure that there's someone here that knows how to do it the easy way, but I wanted to share how I do it.

Take Care,
    Steph

Quote Originally Posted by moviemaestro View Post
    Hi!

I wish that I knew an easy way, but I generally use your 3rd option. That's just how I do it, makes mixing (volumes etc.) much easier IMO, even though it takes a lot of time.

I'm sure that there's someone here that knows how to do it the easy way, but I wanted to share how I do it.

Take Care,
    Steph
    Hi Steph (and thanks for the reply). I have made a little progress using the GUI for Kontakt. In the Kontakt player where the patch name is displayed in large font, in the lower right corner of that panel is the output channel assingment. I was able to assign each output to a differnt track, using mono sends and panning alternate patches left/right. At this point I can bring up each assinged patch, play the GUI keyboard in Kontakt and hear it in the monitors and see the meters move on individual tracks. Sadly for some unknown reason, I can suddenly no longer send midi to Kontakt (grrr), which has always been a simple matter of defining the midi sends in Sonar. The midi track outputs are assigned to GPO and the midi channels seem to be assigned correctly. Another clue is that I can't get my keyboard to send to GPO now either. I'm thinking it's time for a reboot (and perhaps several beers?).

RC

Quote Originally Posted by jjloving View Post
    first of all, welcome!

I can't say I know how to do this in KP1, but I can say that I didn't have any software related problems upgrading to KP2. I would highly recommend you upgrade to KP2, and after that it's really quite easy to set each loaded sound to it's own audio track. A few weeks back DPDan posted some excellent tutorials on this and you can reference them here:
    http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...&postcount=104
    http://northernsounds.com/forum/show...&postcount=118

I guess it's not really an answer as much as a suggestion... but for what it's worth I too am running Sonar 6.2 PE, and I didn't have any problems moving up and working with projects done with KP1. If I remember correctly, I had to re-load all the sounds they didn't load in KP2 automatically, so I would make a note of your settings on the instruments before upgrading if that's the route you choose to take.

hope it works out for you!
    jon
    Thanks Jon!
    After restart of sonar things seem to be working alright now (or maybe it was the two beers?). I got the keyboard running first, then the midi tracks worked as predicted. I suspect I thoroughly ticked off Sonar and it needed a restart. After separting the gpo sends the project stands at 95 tracks, so I'm not surprised Sonar had a little trouble getting the midi going again. Now on to burning DVDs to ship the tracks.

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by feedback50; 03-01-2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: revision

Go Back to forum