• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Anybody still use pen and paper?

Share/Bookmark

Anybody still use pen and paper?

---removed---

Re: Anybody still use pen and paper?

Well, I always start with pencil & paper, and a good erasers. Sometimes, at the piano, mostly not. But when I have some ideas sketched out, I betake myself to the computer and finish it there.

Richard

I do 5050%. I don't like composing on the notation program too much, because then you tend to copy paste ideas or write them without thinking too much.

Computer-based composing in scoring is good, when you need to get something audible too. Of course piano is another way to achieve this.

The most of the time I use pen and paper I'm sitting in some nice Café, looking out of the window and drinking tea, watching people walk by. This is what I really like and find inspiring. You don't get this with computer. Also another reason is the feeling of writing something concrete, when you can sketch ideas by actually drawing them. You don't get this on computer either.

Then there's music that's just being recorded, not notated at all... this is totally different subject. Like rock. Well. I use pen and paper for that too, sometimes. To sketch out ideas, again, and also to remember melodies, lyrics...

Pen and paper rock and I will never give them up, as long as I keep composing. To me they have the same kind of effect (excluding them being very quick and concrete) as listening to something through a vinyl player or a gramofon. You just can't replace it with anything.

When I started it was all pencil, paper and pen. I still think it's the best way to learn. Now I use paper and pencil in conjunction with Sonar and Finale. I have experimented with different work processes over many years (since about 1980 or so) and am still finding ways that help the music flow. Right now I sketch audio in Sonar with GPO/JABB/CoMB or sketch score in Finale or sketch score on paper with pencil, but the goal, once the "thread" of the piece is known and fairly settled, is to transfer it all to Finale then print out the results leaving many blank measures. The form is intact however and some of the ideas and lead lines sketched in. I then take the pencil and, with Sonar, build the piece - entering in pencil as I go on the skeleton Finale score. This is then transferred with Speedy Entry back to the computer score and printed out again. I try to minimized these reprints to save ink and paper so it may be awhile before the second printout happens. This allows for a lot of erasure and adjustment. I do this until the score is done. The final things to go in are the remaining articulations and the dynamic indications.

Hope this helps.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Quote Originally Posted by reberclark View Post
    . . .The final things to go in are the remaining articulations and the dynamic indications.

Hope this helps.
    For me, also. This stage can sometimes require at least as much time as all the rest put together, quite a bit more if it it orchestrated.

Richard

In the interests of environmental concerns,
    I long ago gave up paper. And pianos, as well.
    Too many innocent trees involved.

Since I don't much like computers, either, I
    don't write at one. That I do in my head.
    It's relatively empty, otherwise; so there's
    more than ample room for it.

Once finished, I then transcribe in Finale...
    a process with much akin to water torture.

Perhaps one day this technology will advance
    to a point where we can skip all these
    intermediary steps?

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Sometimes I'll load up a soft synth or Kontakt to familiarize myself with the library and I'll get an idea from a sound. Rather than boot up another program, I'll sketch to paper just to document the idea. I will eventually transfer it to Finale or Digital performer since paper behaves a little like a sand dune in my office.

Since I started out as a copyist, pen a paper is a little like going home. I miss the art of it, but not the part where my hand looks like a chicken foot after a long project.

Vince

Well, this thread alone is ample demonstration of the extent of Finale users on this forum.

I work on both paper/pencil and Finale, with a mix of printing out my Finale pages as reference on which I'll jot development ideas.

Pen, paper, eraser, brain, ears, piano (that electronic keybrd), mathematical sketching the outline, planning dynamics, moods, story board, along with at the end the question: is it present in Garritan? If not, adjustments.

Or... no pen, paper and the rest, just ears, brains, fingers, Sonar, Overture.... but the outcome never is satisfying. I prefer the first approach.

Oh.. I forgot the beer, chocolats, apple pies, and the sweetest kiss of my wife.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Ples View Post

Since I started out as a copyist, pen a paper is a little like going home. I miss the art of it, but not the part where my hand looks like a chicken foot after a long project.

Vince
    After many many years of hand-copying (I still have my callus ("callous?")) my right hand thanks me every time I hit the "print" button!

But when working with the score only (not final copying or part extraction) I find a deeper intimacy with the material when working in pencil. Why this is I have no idea - maybe because this was how I learned and discovered things - but I've tried going solely with the machine and although the results were fine, I missed that intimacy of pencil and paper.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Go Back to forum