• Register
  • Help

Topic: Structure my Suite

Share/Bookmark

Talking Structure my Suite

Wazzzzzah

I'm planning a Suite and need to double-check structure of each dance (in terms of ABA, ABACA, etc.)

I intend to include the following:

Allemande
    Courante
    Sarabande
    Minuet
    Gigue

So.., any help is greatly appreciated
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Re: Structure my Suite

Of course, these days you can write to any form you wish and call something a courante, for instance, as long as it has something of the spirit of a courante.

However in Baroque terms, I tend to think of the courante, allemande, sarabande, and gigue all as essentially binary forms. These are often written AABB (where the second A and B are exact or near exact repeats). Sometimes, even the B is not repeated, so the form may simply be AAB.

The minuet is basically a ternary form (foreshadowing the more developed minuet and trio), most typically AABBCCDDAB, often with a key change at the CCDD, and a return to the top restating the AB without repeats. The bourrée and gavotte are most often ternary as well. Again variations are possible, while still retaining the overall ternary form.

These are only rough guidelines, drawn from my own experience. There are no doubt many exceptions.

Have fun with your suite!

Thank you very much! I shall sacrafice twelve bulls in you honour!
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Quote Originally Posted by Felixissimo View Post
    Wazzzzzah

I'm planning a Suite and need to double-check structure of each dance (in terms of ABA, ABACA, etc.)

I intend to include the following:

Allemande
    Courante
    Sarabande
    Minuet
    Gigue

So.., any help is greatly appreciated
    Darwin has given you an excellent and accurate reply. It is true that in contemporary terms you could use any form you want provided you achieve the character of the dance. Just to give examples of this. The Sarabande is a slow dance in 3/2 or 3/4 traditionally with an accent on the second beat whereas the Allemande is of moderate tempo in 4/4 with characteristic flowing runs (often semiquavers). I would suggest listening to some of the suites of Bach to highlight the characteristics of each dance.

If you wish to keep to historic and traditional values for the suites of dances then these are in binary form. The suites of Bach, for example, are all in binary; I believe a few of his preludes are not binary. The pattern of repeats of the two divisions can be varied.

I would suggest a visit to your local library or music shop for a good book on musical form. This will give more details and, usually, suggest examples for listening.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Thank you Michael for helping this old traditionalist.
    I'll will probably listen through Bach's Cello suites for some reference.
    Regards Danial Zainali
    ___
    Reinvent powdered wigs!

Go Back to forum