• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: PROBLEM: EWQL - CHOKING! PLAY or get MacPro?

Share/Bookmark

PROBLEM: EWQL - CHOKING! PLAY or get MacPro?

Currently I have EWQL Gold with Logic 8 on a Mac G5 Dual 2.5.n 2.5 GIG of RAM.

PROBLEM: EWQL - CHOKING! I can not run more than 5-8 EWQL instruments without choking (Logic running out of processing, stopping playback ect.). Ya, ya... I can Freeze the tracks but I like to make changes quickly.

QUESTION: Will the new PLAY engine make a big difference or do I need to upgrade to a Mac Pro?

--- thanks to the guys that recommended that over Platinum! Why? because Gold barely runs on my Mac. Without multiple computers how could Platinum ever run..

Re: PROBLEM: EWQL - CHOKING! PLAY or get MacPro?

Interesting.

I have Platinum running on Logic 8 on a G5 PPC Quad with 6 GB of RAM with no problem. As far as I know the Play Engine is not out yet and I think that it is going to be awhile before it does come out. You should be able to run Gold on your current setup. Rather than buy a new Intel Mac, it may be cheaper to just up your RAM in your current machine.

My 2.1 Cents!

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by piano View Post
    Currently I have EWQL Gold with Logic 8 on a Mac G5 Dual 2.5.n 2.5 GIG of RAM.

PROBLEM: EWQL - CHOKING! I can not run more than 5-8 EWQL instruments without choking (Logic running out of processing, stopping playback ect.). Ya, ya... I can Freeze the tracks but I like to make changes quickly.
    Hmmmm.... I am not a Mac user but that doesn't sound like the kind performance you should be getting out of a setup with those specs.

I'm running platinum in Cubase 4 on a dual core 2.0 Ghz, 2GB RAM PC, and I can easily run about 30 or more instruments before I max out my RAM.

Make sure you have DFD (Direct From Disk) installed and enabled in kompakt, otherwise it will be running all your instruments on RAM, which, if you aren't running a smaller lib like GPO, will eat up your RAM pretty fast.

The only problem then is that you make sure you have good harddrive distribution, or you may experience similar performance problems from lack of HDD speed.
    NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Ben Botkin's Profile at NorthernSounds.net
    www.benbotkin.com

Lightbulb Re: PROBLEM: EWQL - CHOKING! PLAY or get MacPro?

I may suspect that the problem is LOGIC 8!

Logic 8 seems to have a very strange use of CPU power and RAM. It's probably due to the way it manages the clock and sync, fine, detailed, safe and advanced, but....freaking consuming.

It's almost senseless the amount of issues in the actual Logic release when using Native Instrument engine (Kontakt or Kompact), even because the performances are not stable (users experience issues with low sample load, and fluid playback with lot of instruments, then issues with big buffer, and no problem with little one, then issues first playback, and then no issues just clicking stop, and playing again...unpredictable and il-logical performances...;-)

I strongly hope Apple will fix it as soon as possible, because the App is so cool and affordable, that when bug-free and more stable, the temptation for buying it will be impossible to resist...

Recommendations:
    • Use Kontakt2 if possible with latest patches.
    • If multiprocessing (multiple CPU) is on, be sure to set your audio buffer to 1024 samples (in your project's audio settings.) Otherwise turn multiprocessing off
    • Use Kontak2 as a multimberal device (Up to 16 voices per group)
    • Try setting your DFD in "in the middle" (about 250-350 voices)
    If you're seeing fairly low CPU consumption with unexplained super-spikes, it's probably due to your sample buffer being too small and NI's multiprocessing being turned on.

Alternative setups:

Turn multiprocessing off, use 1 voice per Kontakt instance, set the DFD on the low side, and let Logic8/CoreAudio schedule the Kontakt instances on separate processors. Be doubly sure Kontakt's multiprocessing is off.

There are Kontakt patches on the way, but I think they're still in beta.

HTH,
    -K

Thanks Guys!

Kontact 3 is the software available --- are there bugs with it?

I seem to remember there was less of a RAM limit in Kontact --- is this true?

I'm still craping out on my Mac. I've got 2.5 GIG (that's a LOT of ram).
    Will getting more RAM really help that much?

I have both. There are some oddities in Kontakt3. There are some bugs that mess with complex programming like you'd find in Kirk Hunter's library. I think the patch is in beta, but with NI, it may be a while before it's out. Before buying RAM, get a simple tool called MenuMeters (http://www.ragingmenace.com/software/menumeters/) which will give you a graphical indication of memory use up in the menu bar. Unless you're getting close to hitting the ceiling (e.g. at least 80% of the pie in use), more memory may not help.

K3 works OK for me on Logic8. Same comments as with K2, Buffer-size must be 1024 (or bigger) to use multi-processing. Otherwise switch that off.

When playing back, try to have a Kontakt instance open and watch the CPU gauge closely. If it looks like CPU is usually low (under 50%) but suddenly blinks red for just a fraction of a second, it's probably a sample buffer problem. If the Disk gauge flashes, it's probably a DFD setting.

This article might give some hints if you're still stuck: http://www.native-instruments.com/kn...7s+performance

-K

You don't have nearly enough RAM to run much of EWQLSO on that system. I use six PCs, each with 3-4 gigs of RAM, to run a full orchestra.

And, honestly, the dual 2.5 is good but it will be tough to really see a big improvement.

And agree 100% with other poster who asked about hard drive configuration -- you want separate boot, sample, and record drives if possible. I also have a fourth drive that holds video if I'm working to picture.

Last, I use Digital Performer, which I hear can work with much more RAM than Logic 8, but I leave that to more knowledgeable folk.
    Kind regards,

John
    www.johngrahammusic.com

Depending on much you're trying to load, you might consider installing Soundflower then run Gold as an External MIDI Instrument. Logic does not access more then 2GB. EXS24 is designed in such a way to operate with 4GB. So 2.5GB is OK, but 4GB of RAM and up is better.
    Peter L. Alexander
    www.professionalorchestration.com
    www.alexanderpublishing.com
    Learn it right the first time.

It's always interesting how huge differences there are between the performance of Kontakt on different setups. Seems to be a question of luck to a certain extent.

Here I had similar problems (Mac G5 2*2; 4,5 GB Ram). There may meanwhile be faster computers, but performance is a joke compared to EXS or Gigastudio on my 1*3 GHz PC.

Anyway, with the update to Kontakt 3 I think things have improved, at least here. For me it feels much better on the Mac, and on a 3rd PC which is running Kontakt here, too.

best

Uli
    Uli Reuter
    film composer, Germany

Go Back to forum