• Register
  • Help

Topic: Translation as stopgap for EWSO Play?

Share/Bookmark

Translation as stopgap for EWSO Play?

I just a Mac Pro and found that the East West Symphonic Libraries will no longer work unless I shell out for Kontakt.

I already have ChickenSystems' Translator, and was wondering if translating the files to EXS format might be a reasonable stopgap measure until the Intel-compatible Play version of the EW library comes out.

Has anyone tried something along these lines? How well did the translation work? (And is there any news on when the Play versions of the EWSO will be out?)

Thankee-in-advance,

Mike

Re: Translation as stopgap for EWSO Play?

Mike, you don't need Kontack to use SO because it comes with a player, a Kompakt payer for now, witch is a cut down version Kontakt. But you need to register it first. ...Unless there are no more NI version of SO? But i dough it.

And, i don't know much about EXS but i think it cant handle release samples so you will loose those, and those are a big part of the sound... Actually, I'm not even sure can translate it at all as SO is scripted/protected...

Also, if you're planing on getting SO Platinum you should wait for play is it should handle the 3 mics position in a more efficient way.

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo001 View Post
    Mike, you don't need Kontack to use SO because it comes with a player, a Kompakt payer for now, witch is a cut down version Kontakt. But you need to register it first. ...Unless there are no more NI version of SO? But i dough it.

And, i don't know much about EXS but i think it cant handle release samples so you will loose those, and those are a big part of the sound... Actually, I'm not even sure can translate it at all as SO is scripted/protected...

Also, if you're planing on getting SO Platinum you should wait for play is it should handle the 3 mics position in a more efficient way.
    My understanding is that the Kontakt player they give you will not work in MacIntel machines. I tried to install Silver on my macbook, and it won't recognize it.

I'd be surprised if translator would work with EWQL but I think it sux that I've lost Silver just cuz i wanted to go from a G4 to a macbook. That sux big time and makes me kinda angry!

Yes it sux and i would be angry as well.

It turns out there is a workaround for this - thanks go to Garth from ChickenSystems for pointing me in the right direction.

Use RAX 1.2.3 (not the new version from Audiofile Engineering, but the prior version), which will run in Rosetta emulation and thus be compatible with the Kontakt-Player versions of the EWSO libraries. Hook it up to Logic via an IAC MIDI connection. Voila. I'm doing it right now and it works perfectly. Only downside is that I'm not sure if it's possible to buy the older version of Rax anymore, so one may be stuck using it in demo mode. I'm looking into this.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeShapiro View Post
    I just a Mac Pro and found that the East West Symphonic Libraries will no longer work unless I shell out for Kontakt.

I already have ChickenSystems' Translator, and was wondering if translating the files to EXS format might be a reasonable stopgap measure until the Intel-compatible Play version of the EW library comes out.

Has anyone tried something along these lines? How well did the translation work?
    Any Native Instrument sampler powered virtual instrument using the Kompakt player (like many EastWest titles) or the newer Kontakt Player 2 player, uses protected sample libraries (either .nks or .nkx files). None of these can be converted to another format using conversion software like Chicken Systems Translator.

Unfortunately since most sample libraries are being "locked down", the days of converting from one format to another are over.

Quote Originally Posted by Wafflemaster View Post
    Unfortunately since most sample libraries are being "locked down", the days of converting from one format to another are over.
    True.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum