• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: opening or importing gigs in Kontakt3?

Share/Bookmark

opening or importing gigs in Kontakt3?

OK So how do i use gig files in Kontakt3? I have been able to load gig files using the "Files" tree in kontakt but then everytime I reload an instance of kontakt3 using gigs it gives me "Missing Samples" window and even if i scan the 2.5 terabites of storage I have it finds nothing...

So is there some kind of import that I need to do to use gigs in kontakt? or am I screwing something up with where I am storing them or something? I have my kontakt player installed on mac hd > Applications > Samplers > Kontakt 3 > and my samples are on different hd > Samples > directory, which is how it was explained to me was the best way to install, so I am thinking there must be some way to import or to beat it over the head and tell it that there are not really any wav files, just gigs to look at... i dunno but its getting old having to find my gigs each time i load kontakt

Any ideas??

Thanks!
    Christopher Kennedy Alpiar
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Re: opening or importing gigs in Kontakt3?

Hi, to use .gig files in K2/k3, you must first convert them. Instead of a single big file, Kontakt creates a nki file (pretty small) that contain info about the instrument and points to a lot of .wav files located in a folder three.

To convert the .gig files, you can use Kontakt itself or a tool called CDXtract. The tool offers more flexiblity about the folder locations and paths...

Another tip, when a .nki file point to a missing .wav, Kontakt should offer you to specify or search for the missing file.

Unfortunalty, Kontakt of CDXtract are doing a good job to convert basic giga samples. But for more complexe instruments, ie Xfade samples or altenations, you will have to play with Kontakt scripting to recreate all the original programing.

You will find a lot of info about giga to kontakt conversions on the web but be ready for a good ride if you plan to convert huge libs to konkakt...

Hope it helps
    Nic
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

Thanks Nic!

Yea I was wanting to convert my entire VSL Full Pro edition to nki format, Tho I still run GS machines in my studio so I dont feel an urge to do all the performance sets, just the essential sound

However I keep crashing Kontakt everytime I start the import dialog... I set directories as to where it should import to and then it starts and after a while... crashola... and I have to restart =(
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

What is the value to CDXtract over using the import features in Kontakt3? I downloaded the trial and it looks like a cool program but how is it better than the kontakt import tools?

Thanks!
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Hi Chris,
    There is not a big difference between converting from K3 or from CDXtract. Kontakt does a good job at it.

The advantage I see with CDXtract is that you have the flexibility to decide how folders and and files are organised after the conversion. Pretty useless with basic instruments but can be interesting when a .gig file contains a lot of articulations. But still, you can do it with Kontakt direclty.

Converting VSL Prod Ed to Kontakt? You are right, it should work well for all basic articulations. Unfortunately difficult for all performance instruments. All the programing will not convert properly. VSL have released a Kontakt version of some of their Horizon Series product. But they never did for the entire Prod Ed. They said it would require too much work.

I have Pro Ed. but don't use it a lot anymore cause I use mostly Kontakt now... The easiest way to start using it again with all performances will be to be buy GS4 IMO.

Nic
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

yea I am using 2 GS3 boxes and am eagerly waiting on GS4 release, but i recently got kontakt3 on my DAW and just looking at ways of relieving stress on my GS machines by adding some of my palette onto Kontakt I have EW gold also, but they cant compare to the VSL sounds IMO and mixing them in with their release trails and whatnot is kind of a nasty experience for me. So I kind of canned EW and looking for ways to maximize my VSL output. If GVI only worked on mac already I would be going that route but alas it does not...

Thanks
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Yep, you are right, VSL sounds are in a separate category. I which I could affort VI...
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

BTW, EWQL Platinum Pro XP edition have a Close mic position for all their samples. They are really easier to mix cause the release tails are shorter.
    Nicolas Roy
    www.nicolasroy.com

I got really lucky in 2004 and had a client that needed a tax write off and so he bought VSL for me as partial payment on a project and it was a writeoff for him win/win! I only wish I could afford the 6k i would need to spend to upgrade it all to Vienna Instruments and get all the new stuff they have put out... well maybe when I am done paying off this last bunch of toys I bought for the studio
    Cinematic Composer
    www.alpiar.com

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy View Post
    To convert the .gig files, you can use Kontakt itself or a tool called CDXtract. The tool offers more flexiblity about the folder locations and paths...
    There are other programs that do this that you left out, one being Translator www.chickensys.com that is updated far more frequently the CDX and offers many more features.

Quote Originally Posted by nicolasroy View Post
    Unfortunatly, Kontakt or CDXtract only do a good job converting basic giga samples; however for more complex instruments, such as Xfade samples or round robin alterations, you will have to play with Kontakt scripting to recreate all the original programing.
    (forgive me, I rewrote your response for better grammar)

I would not agree - Kontakt does a complete and thorough job converting any Giga Xfade and Round Robin scheme. I know, I've converted many of them and I've seen it work well. The only exception is when Round Robin is enabled via iMIDI rule, which is not often and rather rare.

If Nick knows of examples, I'd like him to send me any to try (garth@chickensys.com) because I can actually do something about it.

Plus Translator does it exactly correct, no exceptions.
    Garth Hjelte
    Chicken Systems, Inc.

Go Back to forum