• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Highlights Of 1958

Share/Bookmark

Highlights Of 1958

Music for Marching Band written to celebrate the 50 year reunion this fall.
    Can you name all the songs?
    Gary
    New version March 6
    A bit cleaner-all but the cymb. which still doesn't fit.

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6327509&q=hi

hi-fi URL: http://www.soundclick.com/util/getpl...d=6327509&q=hi

Re: Highlights Of 1958

Gary,

Hello. What a fun piece!! I'm going to have at the hop stuck in my head all day long.

Is this going to be performed at your reunion? That would be pretty neat.

I think that you have done a great job. However, there is something a bit wonky about the percussion. I haven't quite put my finger on it yet. I'll have to listen to it again and maybe I'll figure out what my problem is. It could be that I'm confusing the original recordings with your percussion arrangements. That is so annoying when that happens.

I once arranged a James Bond show for a local Marching Band. When they took it to competiton, the percussion judge ripped it up one side and down the other because he said it was too far away from the original concept.

Anyway, I think you did a great job. If I can pinpoint what I'm hearing, or not hearing as the case may be, I'll let you know. I'd love to see the score, if there is one.

Have a nice day.
    Jonny
    For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

Thanks for listening, Jonny.
    I wrote this with the knowledge †hat Bands in Texas are so involved with marching contest in the Fall that most other endeavors fall aside. Perhaps they can play it pre-game.
    Parts of the percussion really suck. Partly by my lack of ability to fuse Finale with Garritan, and partly because of the simplicity of my percussion "palate.
    If you have FINALE '07, I can send a file, or I can send a pdf,
    Gary

Fun romp, Gary; though, as you say, maybe a
    little more spice and finesse with the percussion.

And yes, oddly enough, I do know all the tunes.
    I didn't think I was that old... rofl!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks for listening, David.
    I was surprised that some of the songs were that old. Memory seems to stretch some of those songs into the 60's.
    Gary

Gary

This is the year I was born. Yet I still know all the tunes.
    Nice arrangement.

Fun Piece

Ron

Thanks for listening, Ron.
    1958: I remember: Boot camp at Great Lakes; Castro begins revolution to "free" Cuba; Alaska became a State; troops/ships to Lebannon; Elvis Pressley goes to Boot Camp in Texas; Eisenhower was President; propeller driven planes dominated all Airlines; Daylight saving time still 9 years away(67); air condition was not widely available; a basic
    new car cost about $1700; no wide sales of Volkswagons, Toyotas, Nissans, etc.; gas cost about .30 cents a gallon;
    cars had all steel bumpers; speed limit was 55 mph; plastic seat covers were common; most hi-ways were two lane; road side parks were common on all hi-ways....
    Gary

Yup!

Not a problem with "Name That Tune!"

A classic line: My "ex" once told me that she knew she was getting old when, while checking out a music store, she heard a couple of kids talking. She heard one of them say "Wow! Paul McCartney used to be in another band before Wing!" ZaZaZiiiiing!

I just listened for the fun of it. Having heard some of your other work I already know this was a "throw-together" for the party. No criticisms, constructive or otherwise.

Thanks for a few minutes of nostalgia.

Joe

Good job! That should be lots of fun.

I'm with others that it sounds almost unfinished - as if you hadn't added all the tracks yet. Just a little more fullness and this would be great!

Thanks for sharing this.
    Owen

Thanks for listening, Joe & Owen.
    I've done a bit of editing today. I have it now except for the cymb. & a little better ending.
    Gary

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast