• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: OT-How does one spend their day?

Share/Bookmark

OT-How does one spend their day?

Are you one of the few fortunate that can spend the majority of your day composing music?
    Can you go from wake up to well past sundown working on your compositions without interruptions?
    What about foodt? Are you one of those who sit at the keys, drink coffee and eat while writing your music?
    How about the circus? Where are the clowns anyway?
    Does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost over night?
    And, who really is that laying next to you?
    Is that really a quarter note or just a half a buck divided equally for candy?
    Why is music so important to you and drinking water isn't?
    Who put the bop in the bop a bop a bop anyway?
    If you answered yes to any of these questions give yourself a pat on the back.
    If you answered no to any or all of these questions then you are a not that busy and have too much time on your hands. This is intolerable seeing that I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!

This has been a test of the emergency GPO broadcast system. If this were an actual test ... you would have all failed miserably!
    Styxx

Re: OT-How does one spend their day?

Well, I'm going to be honest. I'm not sure how to respond to this post, or even if is meant to be responded to. So, I'm just going to respond to one of the questions . Unfortunately, I rarely have a day that I can dedicate solely to composing music, and on those lucky days that I do, I don't have the patience for it anyway. The most I can ever do in one sitting is maybe a few hours of composing at a time, and that is a rare thing. I'll usually only spend 25 - 60 minutes composing which is usually apparent in my writing with contrasting sections, short movements, and relatively few completed compositions ever posted in the listening room.

Why do I find it so difficult to compose for long durations of time? Well, most of the time it is due to road blocks that I've unintentionally built into a song that makes a section seemingly end, and even though the song may only be 12 seconds long so far, I just can't seem to make it continue without causing a harsh section change. However, other reasons include technical issues that absolutely destroy any inspirational juices that have been flowing. This usually happens when I first get a new software, which I have done twice in the past year: another reason why my output has been so low recently. The final reason: staring at a friggin blindingly-bright, nearly 100% white screen for hours on end can give me a terrible headache, so I usually end up switching to something that is a little darker (World of Warcraft has been my most recent alternative ) So, despite the fact I don't have the time to compose all day, if I did, it is very unlikely that it would actually happen. But who knows, sprink break is just around the corner, maybe I'll spend 12 hours composing... but I doubt it.
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Are you one of the few fortunate that can spend the majority of your day composing music?
    Yes
    Can you go from wake up to well past sundown working on your compositions without interruptions?
    Yes
    What about foodt? Are you one of those who sit at the keys, drink coffee and eat while writing your music?
    Sometimes
    Outside
    Yes, supposing there is some
    And, who really is that lying next to you?
    Nobody, I sleep alone. Snoaring like a chainsaw.
    No, it is a sweet note
    Look, why is The Watermusic one of many compositions?
    Are you nuts?
    AAAAUUUUU!!!

Raymond

Yes.

No.

What about food? Are you one of those who sit at the keys, drink coffee and eat while writing your music?

No.

I dunno. Send 'em in.

No but my underwear does.

She really doesn't lie all that much.

Candy who?

Well both drinking water and drinking water ARE important to me especially when writing music.

Fred Jones

Done.

If you answered no to any or all of these questions then you are a not that busy and have too much time on your hands. This is intolerable seeing that I HAVE TOO MUCH TIME ON MY HANDS!

Better wash your hands then.

This has been a test of the emergency GPO broadcast system. If this were an actual test ... you would have all failed miserably! [/quote]
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Yep!

I could if I could find a way to stop the interruptions.

What about food? Are you one of those who sit at the keys, drink coffee and eat while writing your music?

Coffee, nearly always. Food, seldom.

Notice a discreet silence.

Can't say, except that I don't drink water.

I might if I could, but I am too stiff and creaky. Something would surely break.

Richard

This is what it feels like...

Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

I take my music very seriously and treat it as job. I wake up very early to get started, sometimes I'm even up before 10am and i often work well into the afternoon. I treat every job with the same diligence and disciplined respect, whether it it is multi-million dollar contract or the ones paying only $650,000. I think the best way to describe how i spend each is i try to always give it 110% of my focus and to always remain true and honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Styxx View Post
    Nope
    Nope
    Yup
    In one really really small Volkswagen
    Yes
    Groucho Marx
    Hippopotamus
    Water has three, music has twelve.
    Miles

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    I take my music very seriously and treat it as job. I wake up very early to get started, sometimes I'm even up before 10am and i often work well into the afternoon. I treat every job with the same diligence and disciplined respect, whether it it is multi-million dollar contract or the ones paying only $650,000. I think the best way to describe how i spend each is i try to always give it 110% of my focus and to always remain true and honest.
    I hate the ones that only pay 650k!!

Quote Originally Posted by Leaf View Post
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Styxx,
    what a hoot you are!
    OK, here are my answers

Are you one of the few fortunate that can spend the majority of your day composing music? YES [for the time being until my insurance companies lawyers convince someone that I am "normal" enough to set loose on the outside world LOL!.]

Can you go from wake up to well past sundown working on your compositions without interruptions? [YES more or less, started at 5 this morning, still here at 1:30, but barely, but had some friends in crises in the middle of the day... typical interruptions: food, housework, a movie, sleep]

What about foodt? [FOOD=YES] Are you one of those who sit at the keys, drink coffee [YES] and eat [SOMETIMES] while writing your music? How about the circus? [LIFE=CIRCUS] Where are the clowns anyway? [for me, the clown is at: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=5996418 ]
    Does your chewing gum loose it's flavor on the bedpost over night? [I don't keep it there I throw it out. YUK!]
    And, who really is that lying next to you? [Usually it's my cat Longjohns or my stuffed white siberian tiger, I am sad to report.]
    Is that really a quarter note or just a half a buck divided equally for candy? [oooo, Bad dental karma!]
    Why is music so important to you and drinking water isn't? [that would take volumes, but i do forget to drink enough water.]
    Who put the bop in the bop a bop a bop anyway? [ummmmmm...? before my time, sorry]

Go Back to forum