• Register
  • Help

Topic: RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Scheherazade

RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Scheherazade

Please enjoy this rendering of Scheherazade by Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov in full score performed entirely by Garritan libraries.

Mvmt. I The sea and Sinbad's ship
    Mvmt. II The story of the prince Kalandar
    Mvmt. III The young prince and the princess
    Mvmt. IV The festival in Baghdad

Thanks for your support!
    Jason Stewart

Re: RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Scheherazade

Wow. Let me be the first to say congratulations!!! This has always been one of my favorite compositions by Rimsky-Korsakov. This must have taken you forever. Can you give us some information on the process? Was it notated, sequenced, libraries used, that sort of thing.

This work is too long for me to be able to really comment on right now. I'm going to download it and burn it to a disk so I can listen to it when I'm driving to work tomorrow. I will post my thoughts afterward, if you'd like. From what I've heard so far, it sounds fantastic!!!!

If this was notated in, I would love to see the score or MIDI files.

Keep up the fantastic work.

For more information, check out www.jonathoncox.com/intro.html

"The trouble with music appreciation in general is that people are taught to have too much respect for music they should be taught to love it instead." - Igor Stravinsky

This is outstanding! What a glowing example of the capabilities of GPO (and other Garritan libraries as well??) in the hands of someone possessing skills such as yours. Your obvious painstaking effort is evident throughout all four movements. I am extremely impressed -- as I'm sure others will be -- with your musicality and detailed realization of this great work. It was more than well worth the time to sit and listen all the way through. Add my congratulations!

Outstanding use of the GPO library. It's such a pleasure to
    here a piece of this magnitude created witht GPO samples.
    It's what we are here for at this Forum.

Very well done, Jason.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

This is one of my top 5 favorite pieces of all time. I listened a little last night and knew that today I was buying new headphones, so I waited until I had them to continue.

What a great job you have done here.

What an extraordinary undertaking, Jason -- and
    with outstanding results!

I've listened through all four movements this
    evening, with much pleasure in both the workman-
    ship and the interpretation of this masterpiece.

With admiration,

Dallas, TX

Thumbs up Re: RIMSKY-KORSAKOV Scheherazade

Oh my goodness, Jason, your string work is i think the best i have heard, and the other instruments are outstanding as well. I'm on mvt3 but couldn't wait to comment, i will listen to four next, and catch these again tommorow. Beautiful!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Lost View Post
    Can you give us some information on the process? Was it notated, sequenced, libraries used, that sort of thing.
    I started entering it on Finale 2006 using the bundled GPO. (I have yet to convert it to Finale 2008 and the version 3.0 GPO, and I'm not sure when that'll shake out.)

I used Speedy Entry to input the full score. I ran the Count Items, and these are the totals for all 4 movements:

Measures: 1,581
    Notes: 94,790
    Grace notes: 415
    Rests: 18,110
    Tuplets: 4,768
    Note expressions: 5,156
    Measure expressions: 208
    Articulations: 36,480
    Lyrics: 0
    Measure text: 284
    Staff systems: 170
    Page text: 26
    Key changes: 648
    Time signature changes: 1,359
    Clef changes: 63
    Repeats: 0
    Text repeats: 0
    Measure numbers: 4,852
    Chord symbols: 0
    Measure graphics: 0
    Page graphics: 0
    Smart shapes: 8,675

West Seneca, NY

I just saw this and tried to listen from our school but it's blocked. I'll have to listen at home.
    This is one of my favorite Scores. Can't wait to hear your rendering.

Go Back to forum