• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Halion as an alternative to Giga for piano

Share/Bookmark

Halion as an alternative to Giga for piano

Hi all

In my quest for the perfect piano, I have learned that whilst instrument and sample quality is of paramount importance, considerations such as eq and reverb are just as vital.

GigaStudio\'s built-in eq and reverb are great plugins but cannot compare to multi-band eq and quality reverb plugins provided by companies such as Waves and TC Electronics.

On the face of it, Halion (a similar disk-streaming sampler that sits within Cubase VST) appears to provide all the functionality of GigaStudio whilst giving the user access to standard Direct X plugins as mentioned above.

Whilst this may not be so important for recording musicians, for real-time live use, GigaStudio is limited in this respect.

Does anyone here have any experience of Halion?

Steve.

Re: Halion as an alternative to Giga for piano

Ive used halion in all my productions. Its alot more cpu demanding than GS but if you want a sampler integrated in cubase or logic you dont have much choice
    And if you dont want to use halion theres some other alternitives like exs24, Virtual sampler, Sampletank and probably some more..

/T0B

Thanks Tob

The ability to use quality direct x plugins may just swing the balance - even if I do have to go out and buy a new machine.

Any recommendations for a suitable spec to play a single, large multisample (e.g. Bardstown audio 1.5Gb piano)?

Cheers
    Steve.

Hello Stephen,

I have not personally tested HALion to the limits with the Bosendorfer Imperial, but for what you are wanting to be able to accomplish, it does seem logical that HALion would be a solution. Bear in mind that HALion does use quiet a bit more system resources than Giga Studio, but considering you are only loading and playing the piano without other sampled instruments, HALion will hopefully provide sufficient power for the piano plus some quality Waves and/or TC plug-in effects.

I would recommend having a faster computer in order to have maximum power for polyphony and plug-in effects. If you do not play a lot of fast passages with the sustain pedal down, HALion will probably do a respectable job without experiencing drop-outs and/or clicks and pops.

An additional solution you may want to consider in order to preserve processing power on your computer, in order to completely dedicate the computer processor for maximum polyphony in HALion, would be to have a TC Powercore card for effects, which would completely eliminate the burden from your computer processor for running TC Powercore effects. TC Powercore comes with Mega Reverb, TC EQ, Compressors, plus many other effects. www.tcworks.de

Sony Oxford will soon be releasing their Sony Oxford EQ\'s in Powercore format, which are truly the most amazing and superior EQ plug-ins in the world. Once you try the Sony Oxford EQ\'s, you will never want to consider any other EQ plug-in. I am a beta tester for Sony Oxford for the Powercore format, and have also been using those plug-ins for the last several months in TDM format in Pro Tools. I have every other EQ plug-in imaginable, but for acoustic and electronic instruments, I never grab any other EQ plug-in other than the Sony EQ\'s. www.sonyplugins.com

It does get into a bit more money in order to have this type of complete setup, but if everything works and behaves properly, it may be worth it to you.

Best wishes with your HALion pursuit.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

Thanks Kip. I really appreciate your info. I\'m going to see if I can get my local retailer to give me a demo.

All the best,
    Steve.

No question about it, Halion is great for using direct x and vst effects, i sadly translate all my GIG files to Halion because there\'s no real alternative besides running 2 outputs from GIGA to 2 other inputs in Cubase which adds unwanted noise, again... we desperatly need a vsti version of GIGA, i think it is crucial for GIGA to be in vsti format to survive the new soft samplers that will be coming out soon.

Even though Halion takes more ressources it does run pretty smoothly with imported GIG files in my experience.

Kind Regards
    Franky
    Vintaudio Prod. www.vintaudio.com

Just out of interest, are Giga libaries compatible with Halion straight out of the box? i.e. would I be able to load the Bardstown Bosendorfer into Halion, or would I need to tweak it/purchase a different version?

Does anybody know a definite bug that libriaries do not have in GS but have by using them with HALion?

Regards.
    Hansi

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sjduck:
    Just out of interest, are Giga libaries compatible with Halion straight out of the box? i.e. would I be able to load the Bardstown Bosendorfer into Halion, or would I need to tweak it/purchase a different version?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Giga instrument libraries are compatible and fully translatable with HALion straight out of the box. HALion does all of the work.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by PolarBear:
    Does anybody know a definite bug that libriaries do not have in GS but have by using them with HALion?

Regards.
    Hansi
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am currently running HALion version 1.1. There is a free downloadable upgrade to HALion version 1.1.1 from the Steinberg web site, which I have not yet gotten around to checking out. Version 1.1.1 is supposed to have even better translating features for Giga instruments into HALion. Most Giga instruments translate very well into HALion with the previous version 1.1. The only slight bug has been with the translation of certain complex articulation programming patches. HALion translations of straight ahead Giga instruments with multi velocity layers, release trigger samples, and triggering a different set of samples with a sustain pedal on pianos, are very straight forward simple translations into HALion without any know glitches that I am aware of.

Kip
    Bardstown Audio
    www.bardstownaudio.com

[This message has been edited by Bardstown Audio (edited 04-06-2002).]

Go Back to forum